What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dug out my skiing stuff in preparation for my annual trip out west next month. Well, it used to be annual, but this will be my first since Jan 2019 due to the pandemic

As I looked through things, I found one item after another missing. Couldn't figure it out until I suddenly remembered that I took a number of things when we went to Antarctica in December 19/January20.

All our luggage was stolen on that trip (along with over half the rest of the group's) so some of my best cold weather stuff is currently enjoying a new career in Chile.

So today I've been looking for replacements. A bit depressing, but what can you do? The tour operator reimbursed us quite well for the lost stuff, but of course everything today costs much more.

We had quite a windstorm a couple of weeks ago and the main trail in the nearby conservation area had quite a few trees blown down across it. Today I walked in with my chainsaw and cut up a few trees and pulled them off the trail. No one gave me heck and I got several thank yous so a win.

Today I put in a full day, my last after starting fresh out of college in 1983.

The chip shortage has created a lot of churn, so I sent a note that I hoped would be helpful in the future.

I spent the rest of the day saying “see you later” to the many good people I won’t be seeing every day.

I sat down with our CEO for a while and reminisced. He affirmed my retirement decision, and quipped that perhaps I could help him when he retires. He has 25 years more experience than I.

The hardest part was leaving my team of engineers.

The youngest asked for my recommendations and experience regarding his future.

The more senior engineers are friends with whom I will stay in touch.

One helped me take the single box representing 38 years to my car.

I didn’t break down as I’d feared.

I drove home as normal, with my daily call to my dad who turned 84 today.

I completed my final commute in the driveway, brought in the mail, and took my daily walk.

My gratitude and appreciation to this forum.

As we now implement “the plan”, I’m sure I’ll continue to seek counsel as it’s “in my genes” to worry about money.

Tomorrow my son is taking me to a golf simulator and joining me for lunch with our best man and my college classmate.

Life is good!

The chip shortage has created a lot of churn, so I sent a note that I hoped would be helpful in the future.

I spent the rest of the day saying “see you later” to the many good people I won’t be seeing every day.

I sat down with our CEO for a while and reminisced. He affirmed my retirement decision, and quipped that perhaps I could help him when he retires. He has 25 years more experience than I.

I completed my final commute in the driveway, brought in the mail, and took my daily walk.

As we now implement “the plan”, I’m sure I’ll continue to seek counsel as it’s “in my genes” to worry about money.

Tomorrow my son is taking me to a golf simulator and joining me for lunch with our best man and my college classmate.

Life is good!

Congratulations! I know the feeling on that last day. Very surreal. But it was one of the best day's of my life. I just celebrated my five year anniversary.
Just wait for that first Monday morning feeling. Not to mention Sunday nights. I am still so appreciative to be retired and FI.

Life is good!

Beautiful post. Congrats!

Today I put in a full day, my last after starting fresh out of college in 1983......

Life is good!

Congratulations!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Nice! It won't take long, and you will be settling into your new job.

Dan what an inspirational post, congratulations to you and thank you for sharing. You are very much a part of what makes this place great.

Sitting around here waiting for a negative Covid test result, being served food in my room as. I goof off all day long. Probably don’t have Covid, but we have a newborn infant in the house so any symptoms gets one isolated.

As a dye-in-the-wool introvert, im loving it.

Gets me out of diaper duty as well.

Life is good!

Congrats! Best wishes for a happy retirement. Hope the plan works out well.

The most important thing I did today was to eat some pickled herring. I've always thought it was a wonderful snack.

It's a New Year's Day tradition in my family going back at least a couple of centuries. Guarantees ( :angel: ) good luck in the coming year.

I've been faithful to the tradition since I was a kid, with the single exception being the year I spent in Vietnam. It's a northern German thing, although I think many Dutch also have this tradition.

DW is making some black eyed peas to eat for good luck in 2022. I won't eat them because they taste like dirt to me. :D

Other than that, it's still 84 F outside and I guess I will do some final yard work as it will be 32 F in the morning.

Today was mostly "recovery day" from yesterday. Went out R/C flying as planned with some other guys from the R/C club and we found fog and low clouds at the flying site, so it was time to freshen up R/C IFR skills. This entails flying up into the clouds until the airplane disappears from view, cut the motor, and wait for it to reappear. The cloud base was at about 350-400 feet, which I knew from the telemetry altimeter in the airplane. I had the camera mounted so I'll make a video of it later.

So we generally had a good day flying except for one guy who lost two airplanes in trees. Bad luck seems to follow him around. I think I know why, but won't get into that. Got home about 4:00 tired and with a sore back from all the bending over to pick up airplanes. The picture is a frame from the video.

When I went downstairs to start putting things away there was a small water spot on the floor, and from past experience I knew that meant the water line to the refrigerator icemaker was leaking. When I started to pull the refrigerator out from the wall the leak really let loose and water was spraying everywhere back there, DW was freaking out and trying to help, but she's little and was more hindrance than help, but of course I didn't want to tell her that. Finally got the box moved out from the wall far enough that I could squeeze back there and turn off the water. I already had the spare water line and needed fittings from the last time this happened so the fix didn't even mean a trip to Lowes, which on New Year's Eve was probably closed by then anyway. By the time I was done with the water line I was in severe pain from all the bending/twisting involved and even a prescription pain killer didn't do much for it.

I missed the ball drop by about three hours.:)

Attachments

• Turbo Timber Evolution IFR RC flight.jpg
    Turbo Timber Evolution IFR RC flight.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 20
I already had the spare water line and needed fittings from the last time this happened so the fix didn't even mean a trip to Lowes

You, sir, are a phenomenon!
We have an ironclad standard in this home: every plumbing job requires three trips to the hardware store.
:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom