What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ National Forest Lands in Montana. Today 7 plus miles and 244 fights climbed in wilderness areas. I take a lunch and spend all day. It was kind of a cold windy day today but kept on and had a great day.

Quick stop at the Dr.'s office for a blood test, in & out in five minutes! Not that they're usually all that bad for waiting times but that was unusually fast. Next stop was a grocery run because it's sort of on the way home, or at least not a far detour. They wanted me fasting for the blood sample so I committed the cardinal rule violation of going to the grocery store when hungry. I fell off the diet wagon big time, oh well, we'll eat all that junk food eventually.

Finished up a small backyard flyer R/C airplane last night but it's been way too windy to even think about flying it. Then promptly started on another R/C airplane this morning. Some photos of the recently finished one:

Nice pictures. I bet when you talk to your neighbor it looks sort of like this:

intro-1568386995.jpg

Just ordered a new pre-hung door unit for my garden shed. We had a big wind storm come through on Sunday night. The outswing door came open and was then ripped off by the wind, taking part of the frame with it. I put a tarp up and spent yesterday shopping for doors. After getting the young wife's seal of approval, I ordered one this morning. It is a regular 36 x 80 inch front exterior door, so it wasn't cheap.

Traded favors with a neighbor: our RV has been parked in the driveway since prepping it for the deep freeze last month and I needed a ride back from the storage lot, and she had a problem with her knitting that I was able to quickly diagnose and remedy (wasn't anything she did, the pattern she was following was wrong :mad:). Then did day two of dead landscape plant chopping - yesterday I did the umbrella plants around the fish pond, today started on the foundation plants on the side of the house. Good news is that the anacacho orchid tree in that bed seems to have survived despite major damage from the ice storm that preceded the deep freeze. I'm sure it will need significant pruning but it will be awhile before we can get a tree expert out as so many folks had such major damage.

DW called me yesterday on her way home from NY state. Her car died on the interstate in the middle of nowhere. Contacted our roadside assistance service and they were great about sending a tow truck right out but said they would only take it to the nearest repair shop, period. OK, but the nearest repair shop was some two-bit place in a two-bit town, so I called them and they guy said he was "pretty sure they could take a look at it before the end of the week, but we should expect any repair to take at least a couple of weeks."

Unbelievable. But as it turned out, the tow truck driver was a wonderful young man who immediately decided on his own that he would take her car to the nearest Honda dealer, which was another 20 minutes away. Fantastic! And then he also took her to a good hotel where she could spend the night. Needless to say, he got an outstanding tip.

I drove up there, spent the night in the hotel and drove her home this morning. Her car is in good hands and we'll go back to pick it up whenever it's ready.

DW called me yesterday on her way home from NY state. Her car died on the interstate in the middle of nowhere. Contacted our roadside assistance service and they were great about sending a tow truck right out but said they would only take it to the nearest repair shop, period. OK, but the nearest repair shop was some two-bit place in a two-bit town, so I called them and they guy said he was "pretty sure they could take a look at it before the end of the week, but we should expect any repair to take at least a couple of weeks."

Unbelievable. But as it turned out, the tow truck driver was a wonderful young man who immediately decided on his own that he would take her car to the nearest Honda dealer, which was another 20 minutes away. Fantastic! And then he also took her to a good hotel where she could spend the night. Needless to say, he got an outstanding tip.

I drove up there, spent the night in the hotel and drove her home this morning. Her car is in good hands and we'll go back to pick it up whenever it's ready.

That’s some adventure. Glad it turned out well, there was lots of opportunity for it to go differently.

I guess it’s also a good reason to have a popular brand auto, you’re more likely to find a dealer nearby, or at least not so far away.

Then did day two of dead landscape plant chopping...

I'm procrastinating dealing with the dead evergreen (now everbrown) shrubs along the front foundation of the house. Those and DW's miniature pomegranate appear to be the major freeze casualties, but only time will tell what else didn't survive.

I'm procrastinating dealing with the dead evergreen (now everbrown) shrubs along the front foundation of the house. Those and DW's miniature pomegranate appear to be the major freeze casualties, but only time will tell what else didn't survive.

You may have to move some plants indoors like us northerners.
DW's plants survive the winter here in northern Illinois - because she makes me babysit them in my workshop all winter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 3.56.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 3.56.36 PM.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 37
^ is that a Hibiscus? Amazing to see flowers in northern climates this time of year. So, is that flower a perennial?

Since it has been almost 2 weeks since I got my second shot, I felt it was safe to work at the hospice today. My neighbor and I volunteer there repairing their walkers, wheelchairs and other medical appliances.

^ is that a Hibiscus? Amazing to see flowers in northern climates this time of year. So, is that flower a perennial?

Yes - a hibiscus. It lives in my workshop at about 55° in the winter. I keep a plant light on it now and water every other day. It gets about 1-2 blooms a week through this winter.

It's an annual. It keeps living because I don't let it get cold. In the past snowbird days, it has gone 2-3 months in winters before without light and water and survived.

After decluttering somewhat this week, today I took a GIANT box of donations to Good Will. Think of the biggest Amazon box you might normally see - - that size, and filled to the brim. I was proud to have managed to get it out to the garage and into the Venza all by myself, using a cart. Good Will has a drive through with several strong young men, so when we got there all I had to do was push the button to lift the tailgate and they took it from there.

Then we went to the drive through at Walgreens to pick up prescriptions, and then out to lunch (shrimp scampi, mmm!).

Today's high was a pleasant 86F with a light breeze. The butterflies are back! We saw monarchs and several other types in the back yard this afternoon, fluttering about happily. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it sure looks like winter is over down here.

W2R >> that is interesting 86F and looks like winter is over. If we had 86F it would be one of the hottest days of the year for us and it would be mid summer. Lol

Sounds like you had a great day!

Cold wet and rainy day so I only went outside to get the newspaper and mail. Otherwise I was in the basement working on an airplane that is close to having the basic structure done. Next will be the control installation and I want to get some photos of it fully completed but not covered yet. Most people call those the "bare bones" photos but I call them the "stark naked" photos. This gets an eyeroll from DW.:)

It might be a good thing that I didn't put away the snow blower, the forecast has the possibility of snow in it. Not a blizzard by any stretch and we probably won't even need a snow shovel, but winter is definitely not over.:(

W2R >> that is interesting 86F and looks like winter is over. If we had 86F it would be one of the hottest days of the year for us and it would be mid summer. Lol

Sounds like you had a great day!
I did, thanks!

Yes, 86F would be really hot for some parts of the country! Not so much here in New Orleans. I love hot, rainy weather so the climate down here is just right for me. The ice storm a few weeks ago nearly terrorized me. :ROFLMAO: I don't know how to deal with it.

We are doing a partial restore on our 48 year old B. DW is doing the Interior I am doing everything else. It is coming on slowly.

So far all brightwork has been removed and polished and all seals replaced.
New master Cylinders and Brakes Bled
New Front Disks, pads and shoes
Dash removed, cleaned and rewired when needed
Door locks removed, re-keyed and replaced.
Drivers door removed, crack welded and primed.
New WindShield Seals (All of them)

More Photos but only have a 10 file upload limit.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9951.jpg
    IMG_9951.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9950.jpg
    IMG_9950.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9953.jpg
    IMG_9953.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9954.jpg
    IMG_9954.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210317_082422.jpg
    20210317_082422.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210317_082340.jpg
    20210317_082340.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 44
It’s not really what I did today ... it’s what my daughter did today! She is graduating nursing school in two short months and she had her first job interview today.

After the interview she FaceTimed (she is at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and we are in CA) me and was very up beat and chatty about the interview and possibilities. She is deaf, but has never let lack of hearing slow her down.

Signs are looking good for employment for our youngster.

Spent the day in my basement workroom. Cleaning and purging. Hoping to downsize the big house in the not too distant future and it is crunch time. The realization that the chances that I am going to use X, Y or Z again is somewhat sobering. Good riddance though to countless Phillips screws! Surprised so many accumulated as I usually throw them out as I go along. Lots of old electrical stuff heading down to Habitat for Humanity along with some plumbing things. Some tools to Goodwill. The only part of the house (aside from the furnace room) that still has exposed concrete floor so will probably put some vinyl down when I have got it nice and clean.

Had a follow-up Dr. appointment today. I'm finally off the blood pressure meds entirely. Yay!

Putzed around with R/C airplane stuff but didn't really get much done with the interruption from the Dr. appt. and DW trying to schedule a vaccination appointment online. Mostly just sat at the workbench and thought about processes and installation issues for the R/C gear. Despite it's diminutive size it's an airplane and all the aerodynamic and weight & balance issues still apply.

Went to Whole Foods to buy Whole Paws grain-free dog food for my dog, also treated myself to some Tiramisu. Practiced the piano, did laundry, cooked, cleaned, played with my dog. All in all, another quiet and pleasant day in ER.

It’s not really what I did today ... it’s what my daughter did today! She is graduating nursing school in two short months and she had her first job interview today.

After the interview she FaceTimed (she is at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and we are in CA) me and was very up beat and chatty about the interview and possibilities. She is deaf, but has never let lack of hearing slow her down.

Signs are looking good for employment for our youngster.

That is a great day! I wish your daughter the very best and I bet she would be a great nurse.

Went to a Board Meeting in the AM and then went hiking the rest of the day. A beautiful gorgeous day.

DW is recuperating from her third epidural blood patch procedure last Friday in an attempt to stop a neuro spinal fluid leak that is causing chronic daily migraines. So, I am taking a week of FMLA and handling all of the household chores that she can’t given her post-surgical restrictions. Corned beef and cabbage is in the slow cooker, laundry done, dog walked x2, garbage cans are in, and the dishes washed. I am now debating on whether to begin updating Quícken or waiting to do it tomorrow since the forecast is for rain. Quícken is tempting because the alternative is to put away the clean laundry.

We are doing a partial restore on our 48 year old B. DW is doing the Interior I am doing everything else. It is coming on slowly.

So far all brightwork has been removed and polished and all seals replaced.
New master Cylinders and Brakes Bled
New Front Disks, pads and shoes
Dash removed, cleaned and rewired when needed
Door locks removed, re-keyed and replaced.
Drivers door removed, crack welded and primed.
New WindShield Seals (All of them)

More Photos but only have a 10 file upload limit.

What is funny shaped wood piece in the trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom