Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Whoa! That sounds painful. I know you said you had a tetanus shot a while ago, but maybe a trip to the doc just to be extra safe. Maybe a quick care if you have one nearby. It seems that we have more weird accidents as we get older.
Man that is for sure. When I got my covid shot today I told the nurse about it and she said to keep an eye on it if swelling or red strike starts get to a doctor right away. It just has been 24 hours so will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks Ronstar.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #962
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm starting to wonder why we even have a 2,000 square foot house and associated yard since it's only the two of us and the other family members hold the holiday events now since DW is not readily capable of those tasks anymore. I think we will start evaluating a condo or apartment since we don't rally have a need for a SFH anymore.
At some point, all that old people need is a home like this.

IKEA is selling it for $47,500. The home is prebuilt, unlike their furniture that you have to assemble yourself.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #963
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Shelves and cabinets seem to be the thing today, so I will chime in. I finished hanging the wall cabinets in my kitchen today. Crown molding and such will come later.
Sounds like fancier work than my garage project, which is a bit "rough and ready".
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #964

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Man that is for sure. When I got my covid shot today I told the nurse about it and she said to keep an eye on it if swelling or red strike starts get to a doctor right away. It just has been 24 hours so will see what tomorrow brings.
Hope all goes OK!

Since I'm pulling nails out of boards to reuse them, I think I will take your mishap as a cue to wear leather boots instead of sneakers when I go back to work tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #965
Give me a forum ...

^^^ I dunno. Street said 8" nail.

I figure you will want steel-toe-cap shoes, not just leather.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #966
Give me a forum ...

Took puppy for her first vet visit. It was uneventful except what the vet was doing. He said he "was operating on a chicken" which I took to mean he was eating lunch. No, he was operating on a chicken! I asked if it was a special chicken? He smiled "five hundred dollar special chicken." He showed me the x-ray, stupid thing had 2 wood screws in its crop. He showed me one and the crop contents. He said the lady didn't want a recipe so he was trying to save her chicken. He still had one screw to get loose.

Our pup has been very active especially at night. She's learned the 3" gap under the coffee table allows her to slide under and hide. Last night about 2:30 AM she announced crate training was over when she proudly jumped on top of hers and barked defiantly at me. DW and I haven has much sleep.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
^^^ I dunno. Street said 8" nail.

I figure you will want steel-toe-cap shoes, not just leather.
Nothing heavier than 3/4 inch boards and 8d finishing nails, so old school hiking boots should be safe enough. In any case, I haven't owned a pair of steel-toed shoes in the current millennium.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #968
Administrator

I went out to my garden plot in the rain to take our first harvest of the year - asparagus and mint. The young wife is turning it into a salad for dinner. Mmmm good!
Old 05-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #969

40 to 50 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Hope all goes OK!

Since I'm pulling nails out of boards to reuse them, I think I will take your mishap as a cue to wear leather boots instead of sneakers when I go back to work tomorrow afternoon.
The sad part about it, I was wearing flip flops. Lol I brought home a pickup load of these used fence posts (40 to 50 lbs a piece) to cut the barb off at my home in town. So, I had shorts and flip flops just cutting barb and throwing it in the garbage. It wasn't a smart thing I know. I worked all day doing things and foot is doing well. Hard to beleive it is with a stab wound as bad as it was.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #970

The guy showed up as promised and installed the last couple of pieces of trim from the hardwood floor installed last August. Turned out he was the owner of the company. He was NOT happy about the way the two guys had left the job, and I got the distinct impression they're going to hear about it. Anyway the floor looks great. Finally. The downside is that the entire kitchen and family room needed a thorough cleaning from the dust kicked up by whatever tools he used to even out the edge of the floor before installing the trim.

Then I mowed the front, side and the close-in back yard, then went inside to finish assembling an R/C model glider. I kept hearing some "scratching" sounds from the dryer vent where it exits the house and decided I'd better take a look. Good thing I did, a bird was building a nest in there. She'd figured out how to flip the little door open that covers the exit and opens with the air pressure from the dryer. I had to take out that whole section of vent off and take it outside to clean it out. When the house was new there was a little "cage" over the vent opening to prevent exactly that but it kept getting clogged with lint and had to be cleaned about every other dryer load. I removed it, and in almost 19 years this is the first time any critters have tried to gain entry there so I'll roll the die again.

In spite of the extra project I did manage to finish the Night Walrus (where to they come up with these names?) and I'm looking forward to flying it if the wind/weather ever settles down.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
The sad part about it, I was wearing flip flops. Lol I brought home a pickup load of these used fence posts (40 to 50 lbs a piece) to cut the barb off at my home in town. So, I had shorts and flip flops just cutting barb and throwing it in the garbage. It wasn't a smart thing I know. I worked all day doing things and foot is doing well. Hard to beleive it is with a stab wound as bad as it was.
Hope you continue to get better! My injury issue has usually been doing heavy work without gloves, whether splinters (steel, glass, other), blisters, poison ivy, or small burns.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
He said the lady didn't want a recipe so he was trying to save her chicken. He still had one screw to get loose.
I take it the owner also had a screw loose.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When the house was new there was a little "cage" over the vent opening to prevent exactly that but it kept getting clogged with lint and had to be cleaned about every other dryer load. I removed it, and in almost 19 years this is the first time any critters have tried to gain entry there so I'll roll the die again.
Well, that didn't last long. When I checked again the persistent bird had started over building another nest in the dryer vent. Oh well, cage it is over the vent; DW was going to Lowes anyway for some other stuff and she picked one up and I installed it over the existing vent. It's gonna take Superbird to rip that off and get in there! I have a battery powered vacuum cleaner that will be ideal for cleaning the lint from the cage if it clogs with lint like the old one did.

And the installers showed up as promised to install the new dishwasher so all should be fixed now. Until the next thing breaks. Ah, the joys of homeownership.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #974

Quote:
Well, that didn't last long. When I checked again the persistent bird had started over building another nest in the dryer vent. Oh well, cage it is over the vent; DW was going to Lowes anyway for some other stuff and she picked one up and I installed it over the existing vent. It's gonna take Superbird to rip that off and get in there! I have a battery powered vacuum cleaner that will be ideal for cleaning the lint from the cage if it clogs with lint like the old one did.

And the installers showed up as promised to install the new dishwasher so all should be fixed now. Until the next thing breaks. Ah, the joys of homeownership.

I discovered that my dishwasher was hardwired in when the installers came. The guy said I needed an electrician to connect it. I said, "I am an electrician"

Fortunately, both dishwashers were GE, and the connections were in the same place. I turned off the breaker, and undid the 3 wire nuts. They installed the new unit, and I hooked up the new dishwasher.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #975

Quote:

If you have replaced the dryer, chances are you have fixed the original problem. If the dryer filter is working properly, you should not get very much lint at the end of the vent. I had a vent cover with maybe 1/2 inch holes. I think I might have cleaned it out once or twice in about 12 years. The dryer filter got cleaned about every cycle.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #976

Went to ranch after lunch and did some work and hauled water from river to water some trees. Still no rain.
The US Fishery guys from 4 different entities and 2 or 3 states where on the my river frontage locating Pallid Sturgeon. They will spend about 7 to 10 day in the spring and fall studying the Pallid endanger fish. In a 3 to 4 mile stretch on my river frontage is the pallid home and the biologists have told me that for years. There is only ~125 total in the US and they live in my area. They are a prehistorical fish and they have been using hatcheries in ND for reproduction of the fish.
The guys told me that the flood a few years back which went inland for many miles took the life of the oldest pallid and one that was chip tagged in 1990 the first they tagged. It got beached with reseeding waters and they found her signal and got the remains.
It has always been a interesting to go and watch them. Next week they will be there all week. I will be there on the river bank.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:54 PM   #977

i worked a distant job, and then brought the excavator home to dig an irrigation spigot over to the porch for the drip system. I will put a 2" pipe in for an extension cord out to the RV cover in the same ditch.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #978

I extracted a rabbit from my window well this morning. It jumped up on the grating that covers the window well a couple of days ago and fell through. I have a 4 inch corrugated drain pipe in the bottom of the window well that leads to the french drain. Every time I would get close, the rabbit would jump in the drain pipe. I finally got a piece of cardboard over the drain and could get down in the window well with a cardboard box. The rabbit could jump up about 5 or 6 feet, but not high enough to get out. After a few attempts, I caught him in his jump and he jumped from the box on out. I put the grate back over the drain pipe. I need to get the grate secured to the drain pipe. I think the wind blows it off.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:27 PM   #979

Quote:
I extracted a rabbit from my window well this morning. It jumped up on the grating that covers the window well a couple of days ago and fell through. I have a 4 inch corrugated drain pipe in the bottom of the window well that leads to the french drain. Every time I would get close, the rabbit would jump in the drain pipe.

Siwwy wabbit!!!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #980

Quote:
Every time I would get close, the rabbit would jump in the drain pipe.
According to the expert I consulted, you have to be vewwy, vewwy, quiet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quiet.jpg (45.3 KB, 55 views)