What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent the last two days truck shopping. In todays market and times it can be an exhausting experience. I finally found what I was looking for and purchased it yesterday. I was originally looking at used but when I got to the dealer to look at the one they had posted the sales guy ask if I would be interested in new. I said sure if it is the same price as this one. well it turned out to be only $1k more with full new warrenty than the other certified pre owned. No brainer. The reason for the trade is the 5th wheel camper we are looking at would be over weight for my present one. As we were test driving it we got a severe thunderstorm warning on our phones, and it hit hard as we got back to the dealership. We finished up the paperwork and headed home to cleanout my truck. This morning we are heading back to turn in my ine and pick up the new Ram 2500 HD. From there we are going to the camper dealership and get the deal sealed on the new camper. Blow that dough! LOL

/// This morning we are heading back to turn in my ine and pick up the new Ram 2500 HD. From there we are going to the camper dealership and get the deal sealed on the new camper. Blow that dough! LOL

A new truck, plus a new 5th wheel? You would want to post this on the "Blow the dough" thread.

Ah, happiness is an AC that works. In this 107F temperature.

Last night, after I recharged the ACs with R-401a, within an hour, my wife complained about being cold.

The minisplit in the bedroom was set at 78F. However, its mounting location is high, at 12 ft due to the vaulted ceiling. And as hot air rises, if it's 78F up high, then it may be 74F at the bed level, and that feels cold.

Here in the dry climate, even 80F can feel very comfortable. In the past, I set the high-mounted minisplits at 82F. With the freon leakage, the cooling capacity is gradually reduced, and I kept lowering the setting and the ACs were running in vain and failed to keep up.

With the AC operation restored to normal, I slowly remember how it was when they were working right.

PS. I used an infrared thermometer to check temperature of the AC outlet. It was at the low 50s. It was wonderful.

Last edited:
Mowed the back half of the yard, and the cicadas that have been in hiding for the last 17 years finally have made their appearance. And with a vengeance! When mowing I was regularly getting smacked by errant cicadas going to... wherever it was they were going to.

NW >> we had a very warm few days and tomorrow will be also. Our AC isn't used much and I would say 5 to 6 times a year is about all it runs. Then it only runs when it calls to run at the temp we have it set to run. We had close to 100 today yesterday was mid 90's and tomorrow mid to mid/high 90's. I did set AC to come on today at 78 degrees and it hasn't came on yet today. Now things are cooling down nice for the day, I don't see it running at all today yet or tomorrow either.

NW >> we had a very warm few days and tomorrow will be also. Our AC isn't used much and I would say 5 to 6 times a year is about all it runs. Then it only runs when it calls to run at the temp we have it set to run. We had close to 100 today yesterday was mid 90's and tomorrow mid to mid/high 90's. I did set AC to come on today at 78 degrees and it hasn't came on yet today. Now things are cooling down nice for the day, I don't see it running at all today yet or tomorrow either.

That's about how often I need AC up at my high-country boondocks home. The high reaches the mid 90s only a few days in the summer.

I drove to Pennsylvania and back to pick up the MIL, who will be staying with us for a week.

Decluttering continues. Dug my old kegerator out of the basement, cleaned it up, took some photos of it and put it for sale on FB Marketplace. Got a message about 30 minutes later. Lady 5 miles away wanted to buy it for her husband for Father's Day. She came to our house, helped me load it in my truck and I delivered it to her house.

Also ordered some running boards for my Jeep. And organized the garage so that I have enough room for a pulley system to pull the top off the Jeep and store it on a dolly.

And organized my woodworking hand tools.

Mowed the back half of the yard, and the cicadas that have been in hiding for the last 17 years finally have made their appearance. And with a vengeance! When mowing I was regularly getting smacked by errant cicadas going to... wherever it was they were going to.

I had an interesting confrontation today. I was standing on a ladder working on the gutter and I felt one hit me in the back. They don't bother me, I actually like them, so I didn't pay any attention. But a few minutes later, just after I got off the ladder he suddenly started buzzing loudly. I didn't know he was still there and it startled me and I jumped. I'm just glad I was off the ladder or it might not have worked out so well.

In the last 3 weeks-we cleaned and painted the railing around the front porch. I cleaned and brightened the back deck, and we stained it. I bought an electric pressure washer (lower power, perfect for us) and pressure washed the paver around our pool. This made a mess of the pool and it needed triple shock. Today I drained the swim spa and cleaned it, then refilled it. Halfway through DH joined me and we cleaned jets and he took responsibility. We both cleaned the spa covers. He is mowing the lawn. It has been a workout for us.

Two days ago I rejoined our local gym and did my first workout for over a year. I've had a mixed relationship with gyms, but yesterday's workout was joyous and the aches in my arms today were a happy circumstance. I worked outside in the yard for 5 hours day, and it was wondeful.

Took DD and her husband to the airport very early (5:30 am for an early flight) this morning for their flight to Cancun,Mexico. This is the first trip they have taken since before the pandemic.

I have house sitting and cat care duty for the rest of the week. Hey, what are Dad's for, anyway?

Putting the final touches on my carbonator cabinet. Wall spacers, bottom and top quarter inch plywood laminated on.

^ One of those would be handy for driving sand points/shallow wells. I have had people tell me they just made an attachment so it could be used on 1 1/4 pipe. Have to drive about 23 feet deep and driving them with a post driver is a job. I know I have driven a few. Lol

I'm in Fl, lots of sand, I jetted down 30ft of pipe in less than 2 minutes, of course it really wasn't that easy. First 10 ft I stopped to add another 10ft and the pipe locked in the soil and I could not get it started again.
So, I started over and put all 30ft together with three ropes running to the ground. I got my wife and her two sisters to hold the ropes on 3 sides with the 30ft of pipe straight up. I started up the water pump and just guided it into the ground. It was cool! That was about 25 years ago, the well is great, I'm on the third pump though.

When I was a kid the neighbor drove a well pipe down, in his basement. I remember him lifting and driving and lifting and driving the heavy post driver, as kids it was to heavy for us.

Last edited:
I drove to Pennsylvania and back to pick up the MIL, who will be staying with us for a week.

He said, with a deadpan monotone.

Just seems like there is a punchline coming! :dance:

I'm in Fl, lots of sand, I jetted down 30ft of pipe in less than 2 minutes, of course it really wasn't that easy. First 10 ft I stopped to add another 10ft and the pipe locked in the soil and I could not get it started again.
So, I started over and put all 30ft together with three ropes running to the ground. I got my wife and her two sisters to hold the ropes on 3 sides with the 30ft of pipe straight up. I started up the water pump and just guided it into the ground. It was cool! That was about 25 years ago, the well is great, I'm on the third pump though.

When I was a kid the neighbor drove a well pipe down, in his basement. I remember him lifting and driving and lifting and driving the heavy post driver, as kids it was to heavy for us.
I watched a video on jetting then in but man, it would be job in this country. Hard tight and compacted soil mixed in with rock. I never have heard of anyone jetting one here, so I would guess it isn't as easy as in FL.

Thanks that is interesting.

Early morning went on collected minnows from traps and brought home for my son to pick them up tomorrow.
Took a few long bike rides and went to ranch to pull water out of crick to water some young trees. Their finally going to get a drink.

Attachments

• IMG_7299.JPG
    IMG_7299.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_7330.JPG
    IMG_7330.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
(yesterday) put together the shelving units and hammock recently bought, then cleaned and re organized the GK toy room.
The other shelving units are for the shed--that will be cleaned and re organized another day!
Also yesterday, enjoyed being out on the front deck under the sunbrella, reading a book with the help of the LED lights!
Enjoying the recent purchases :)

Hosted a shower party for my niece, with 28 attending. We woke up at 6 AM to work continuously to prep the food, then started to grill at 10AM till guests arrived at noon. My sister, mother of the expecting woman, also brought a lot of food. My daughter came yesterday to do the decorations for the party. She and my niece are of the same age, and have been very close since childhood.

We all had a good time. The last guest left at 5:30PM.

I watched a video on jetting then in but man, it would be job in this country. Hard tight and compacted soil mixed in with rock. I never have heard of anyone jetting one here, so I would guess it isn't as easy as in FL.

Yes, jetting definitely takes a sandy soil or as here, sand with a few feet of topsoil. I'm less than a mile from the coast.

I easily jetted a shallow well for the lawn and garden in my sand with a well point and some PVC pipe and fittings (maybe $12) but could not imagine trying to do it in any other soil. I also rebuilt a decades old Myers pump for it. It turns out there is not much to replace and the cost was only a few dollars for some seals. That was 10 years ago. The pump hasn't failed and well has never run dry. For a total of about $25 and a couple of hours I saved about $450. It was fun,easy, and gave me a great feeling of accomplishment.

Cheers!

I easily jetted a shallow well for the lawn and garden in my sand with a well point and some PVC pipe and fittings (maybe $12) but could not imagine trying to do it in any other soil. I also rebuilt a decades old Myers pump for it. It turns out there is not much to replace and the cost was only a few dollars for some seals. That was 10 years ago. The pump hasn't failed and well has never run dry. For a total of about $25 and a couple of hours I saved about $450. It was fun,easy, and gave me a great feeling of accomplishment.

Cheers!

My first two pumps were bought at Lowe's. The first one I overheated by not having enough sprinklers, so it ran, then shut off, ran then shut off, on a continuous cycle. This over heated the Starting capacitor and it leaked all over. The second one I got maybe 15 years out of and the impeller just wore out and also the motor shaft broke. The shaft breaking was a little odd.
I bought a better pump this last time and will rebuild if it is ever necessary.

It's really hot so I did a lot of indoor stuff today..but this is post number 7000 and I want to see if I get another star...

Dental surgeon appointment to review the "work" done 3 weeks ago (tooth extraction, infection fix, bone graft). All looks good....see you 8/2 and we can prepare for the implant. So much fun, lots of money, fake tooth, etc. :(

My 3-year old iPhone had been shifting into low power mode before the end of the day much too often lately, so I went to the local Apple store to get a new battery put in it. Great experience -- it was ready in less than an hour. That should give me at least another year of good performance.

The Apple store is in a big mall and I was surprised to see that they, and many other stores in the mall, are still requiring everyone to be masked. No requirement in the mall outside those stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom