What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is you can have these 100+° temperatures. I just pray it doesn't lead to another season of wildfires. Last year we were stuck inside due to the extreme smoke for days.

I already do. For years!

Now, more people know what high temperature is all about. Misery loves company.

Wild fire? It's breaking out all over the place here in AZ too. My wife has been saying perhaps we should sell our 2nd home up in the high country, where fires have been breaking out. There's no place to go to hide.

Cut down the 15-year old plum tree in the backyard. Bought a second tree 2 years ago so it would produce fruit. We were very excited when it had plums on it this year. They got to the size of marbles then the tree died. Now to get the stump out.

A variable-speed AC on the other hand is supposed to run nearly all the time, varying its speed to match the cooling requirement. The continuous movement of air keeps the air temperature more constant.

What ever method removes the most humidity is best in my area. (Florida Panhandle)

It's 78* and 52% humidity in my home now, much nicer if the humidity is about 40%. If it was 40%, I would still feel comfortable at 81* or 82*.

I am 48 years old and I figured out for the first time in my life today that S.C. Johnson and Johnson & Johnson are not the same company... :facepalm::LOL:

Cut down the 15-year old plum tree in the backyard. Bought a second tree 2 years ago so it would produce fruit. We were very excited when it had plums on it this year. They got to the size of marbles then the tree died. Now to get the stump out.

Apropos.. I watched this the other day. This is how they used to pull out stumps in pioneer days..

https://youtu.be/RIoBQzWha8A

I am 48 years old and I figured out for the first time in my life today that S.C. Johnson and Johnson & Johnson are not the same company... :facepalm::LOL:
That's funny . The same thing happened to me many years ago. Who knew?

What ever method removes the most humidity is best in my area. (Florida Panhandle)

It's 78* and 52% humidity in my home now, much nicer if the humidity is about 40%. If it was 40%, I would still feel comfortable at 81* or 82*.

Humidity where I am is usually below 20%, occasionally even below 15%. And inside an air-conditioned home it could be even drier, though I have no way of measuring. A temperature of 81 is very fine, and 78 is chilly when you are inactive.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, DW has a habit of forgetting to leave her little Swiss Army knife at home when we fly. The x-ray machine always catches it and she has had so many of them confiscated over the years it's a running joke between us.

Today the friendly Amazon folks delivered a new one that has no blade. Designed specifically for airplane travel, it's called the Jetsetter model. Scissors, screwdriver, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick.

As long as she remembers to swap it with her regular model before each flight, I think this will make her very happy.

Victorinox Swiss Army Jetsetter Pocket Knife

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 6.10.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 6.10.53 PM.png
    467.9 KB · Views: 51
Unfortunately, DW has a habit of forgetting to leave her little Swiss Army knife at home when we fly. The x-ray machine always catches it and she has had so many of them confiscated over the years it's a running joke between us.

Today the friendly Amazon folks delivered a new one that has no blade. Designed specifically for airplane travel, it's called the Jetsetter model. Scissors, screwdriver, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick.

As long as she remembers to swap it with her regular model before each flight, I think this will make her very happy.

Victorinox Swiss Army Jetsetter Pocket Knife

I had at least half a dozen of these little numbers. Unfortunately, only one left and it's not in my purse, traveling or not :LOL:. The only reason this one survived is that on my packing list now is the reminder to 'remove all knives from purse'. :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

Mowed the "back forty" of the yard beginning at 9:30 before it got too hot and muggy. Still, I was drenched by the time I was done an hour later. It's 95°F now, not outlandish for this time of year here but it still hits you when you walk out from the A/C.

I plan on meeting my student R/C pilot at 9:00 AM tomorrow, which is "ohgodthirty" in the morning for me. The plan is to be done by noon or 1:00 at the latest before we die from heat stroke.

A beautiful day irrigated the lawn from 5 to 7 and then went to check on eaglets. Then went on to the ranch to irrigate trees and weed whack etc.. Just got home and a rancher texted me and ask if I could help him move some haying equipment, so I did. Got home and finished up a ulu knife I started last evening.

Attachments

• IMG_7619.JPG
    IMG_7619.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7608.jpg
    IMG_7608.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 173
Applied for a Costco credit card. Don't really need another CC but I know we will have to replace the refrigerator one of these days and the Costco card offers additional warranties and sometimes have gift card promotions. Want to have the card so I can take advantage when the time comes.

Had to do a temporary credit thaw for the application. The credit bureaus have come a long way in the past few years in improving the ease of freezing/unfreezing your credit.

Last edited:
Nice pic, Street. Starting to look like a real eagle now.

Very nice ulu, too!

Kayking with lady friend and some of her neighbors. All had good time in spite of being drenched in sweat.

I met my student R/C pilot at the field at 9:00 AM, way early for me, but since the weather is so hot that's preferable to being broiled alive. We did get several flights in with his airplane and I brought a few of my own to get some flights in and adjust radio settings. This time I put a Runcam 2 (a little video camera) on one of the airplanes and shot some video that I put up on youtube.

We were done a little bit after noon and left. I was ever-so-grateful for the wonderful A/C in my GMC pickup truck on the way home!

Played 4 sets of doubles tennis this morning. Came home, showered, ate, and finished making the axle for a little boat trailer. Next some work in the garden, then our weekly family zoom call, and finally bbqing pork and vegetables for dinner. After dinner, organizing backpacking gear for our trip next week if I still have the energy.

Drove up to the high-country boondocks home yesterday, and back down into the Valley of the Heat today, spending only 1 night up there.

The purpose of the trip was the annual renewal of the post office box, which must be done in person. The USPS does not deliver mail to the homes, and a P.O. box is the only way one can get mails. I don't know why we keep the P.O. box and go through the trouble every year, because we use the main home address as the mailing address for bills.

The short trip was also useful as I spent time to put in a new shut-off valve to replace the one that broke and leaked. Last time there, I did not have the time nor the tools, so was just able to patch the leak so we could get some water.

I still have to come back once more before winter to install a new heat tape to keep the meter and the shut-off valves from freezing, despite being buried 2 ft deep and insulated. I will need some time to do that right and to make sure it works.

We would have stayed up there in the mountain to stay cool if it weren't for the care of MIL. No AC needed. It even rained when we were there. The fires in the surrounding national forest seemed to be under control. If it keeps raining everyday as forecasted, that will help a lot.

Last edited:
I'm going for a checkup next week, so I got my blood drawn for tests.
Not to sure about the phlebotomist. I generally don't have any mark an hour later. It's been 6 hrs.

Attachments

• Phlebotomy.jpg
    Phlebotomy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
All I can say is you can have these 100+° temperatures. I just pray it doesn't lead to another season of wildfires. Last year we were stuck inside due to the extreme smoke for days.

Move to south Texas to get out of that heat stuff. We also have winter here now! Bring your boots and snowshovel!

The other day, I happened to see on Youtube a video made by a guy who's building his home somewhere near Houston that he did not pinpoint.

He has quite a few acres, with a pond, and has a few animals. What caught my attention was that his house was built on stilts. Said he had to, because of potential flood.

The other day, I happened to see on Youtube a video made by a guy who's building his home somewhere near Houston that he did not pinpoint.

He has quite a few acres, with a pond, and has a few animals. What caught my attention was that his house was built on stilts. Said he had to, because of potential flood.

He's along the Gulf coast somewhere. There are many homes on stilts along the coast. One of my friends has one in Galveston as a summer place.

Three wheel barrows of weeds pulled. Am a lousy gardener. Usually wait unti weeds are tall enough to grab easily to yank out. Late DW used to spend many hours manicuring the garden, nowdays the good stuff thrives on benign neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom