What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
A variable-speed AC on the other hand is supposed to run nearly all the time, varying its speed to match the cooling requirement. The continuous movement of air keeps the air temperature more constant.

The continuous movement of the air is assured by the 52 inch ceiling fan in the same room as the thermostat.

Even with a fan for ventilation, the cycling on/off of the compressor in a conventional AC still causes some temperature fluctuations.

And speaking of ACs, with each summer getting hotter, I found that the two auxiliary ACs with the total capacity of 2-1/4 ton were getting marginal to cool the ground floor (I turned off the 5-ton central AC and left the unused upstairs baked).

For 120F temperature days, another 3/4-ton mini-split AC will be a welcome addition, and I have a place for it in the breakfast room next to the kitchen. Will work on it this winter. And then, I will also add 8 more solar panels to get the juice to run it.

You cannot have too many ACs here in this heat. Of course, if you don't have the power to run them, or your power meter smokes when you turn them all on, that won't fly.

Even with the 3 existing ACs, it is handy to have extra cooling when you need it. Two weeks ago when I hosted a baby shower for my niece and had 27 people inside the home, the temperature was 105F then. It's not as bad as now at 117F, but each person is equivalent to a 100W bulb. That's like having a 3-kW heater turned on inside the home.

I was able to crank all 3 ACs full-blast, and everybody was comfortable. I don't know if the 3 ACs would be enough now with so many people, if I had the party with the temperature now much higher.

Once I add another minisplit, will have 4 ACs with a total capacity of 8 tons. And the nice thing will be 3 of them are running off solar, with the large central one on grid power as a spare.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, AZ gets hot for sure, I used to visit regularly. Not called "the valley of the sun" for no reason.

I have a 3.5 ton central and pleased to have a 50% duty cycle at 105 F. Yeah, old style bang-bang servo, full on or full off.

^^^ At 120F, your AC would be running full time.

Let's say you keep the thermostat at 78F. When the outside is 105F, the temperature difference is 27F. When the outside is 120F, the difference is 42F.

The heat gain is proportional to the temperature difference, so the heat to be removed is 1.6X higher at 120F. Additionally, your AC efficiency may go down by the same factor because it has to pump the heat out against the higher ambient.

Bingo! Your AC now has to work 2x as hard, and the 50% cycling time becomes 100%.

I have been living in this house for many years, and have hosted parties with as many people in the summer. I remember that with just the central AC and not the recent auxiliary ACs, it was somewhat marginal. This time though, with 7.25 tons of cooling going, lots of drinking and laughing, and nobody complained. But again, it was only 105F and not 120F.

PS. I remember that my 5-ton AC was running non-stop in past years when it was 120F. It was able to cycle off only at night, and then not for long before turning on again. Days like that, I burned 100 kWh per day, with about 90 kWh/day for the AC. It is really that hot here.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. It gets hot here in the central valley when we get the dreaded high pressure that keeps the marine layer and the delta breeze out but that only lasts 3-4 days
and we'll never see 120.

Today (even though it's 102 F outside) I installed the fountain. All by myself too even though the base weighs 225 pounds and I had to get the cord through it before I could do the hookup and the other 2 tiers. Give me a lever and a place to put my fulcrum...

51258777540_eccc5a6a56_o.jpg

Goes well with the big square pavers and the rectangular design me thinks. It's a Campania Escala and holds 9 gallons of water, make a nice medium gurgle - trickle sound and doesn't splash much.

51257739006_f3411c4910_o.jpg

With the fire table we have the 4 ancient elements on the patio; earth, air, fire and water - :)

Robbie, that looks really nice! Looks like the rich and famous. Lol

Thanks! I looked at a lot of fountains before...

Yeah, it's low and sturdy, ain't gonna blow over, dogs playing ain't gonna knock it over, tree branches falling on ain't gonna hurt it.

Weighs 385 pounds full of water. Brick house!

Today I came to the forum to wish any of our members who are fathers, a Happy Father's Day!

Frank is not a father, and both of our fathers are dead, so this is the best I can do for father's day wishes. I truly do appreciate all that fathers do to hold families together, promote family values and traditions, protect and support their families, exemplify manly virtues and teach their kids about them, and more.

Have a wonderful day, fathers, and know that you are appreciated.

We are up in Alaska for a couple weeks. Got out early for a trail run, which turned into a longer run when a mommy moose stood her ground on the trail and I had to turn around.

Then took the wife out for a leisurely bike ride in the afternoon and a late Father’s Day lunch at a brewery.

Last edited:
Whole family, kids and gk here for BBQ burgers. Great day, hot and 90 degrees here, slight breeze. Hopefully it will cool down tonight.
Expect close to 90s all week.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads!

DH and I hosted a cast party for a musical in which he is playing and conducting the pit orchestra. All were vaccinated except for the 4 year old daughter of one of the musicians.

Typical BBQ and veggie fare. People brought their usual chips and dip. DS was a blessing. After work he set up misters and chairs in the blazing heat. He helped entertain the 4 year old in the pool with her mom, while I ran the grill and DH made sure people were happy. Many stayed inside until it cooled off after 6:30. A thunderstorm sent the last folks home at 8:30. Too bad, because our yard is best enjoyed at night. Not enough people enjoyed the pool, which was in perfect condition and chemistry. I cooled off after cooking and it was fabulous.

The fact of a party that met everyone’s expectations, and that we could keep the blazing heat under control with a pool, misters, umbrellas, and air conditioning, feels like a return to the best of normal life.

Last-our county has had zero reported COVID cases in the last 2 days. Feeling safe these days.

Mowed the back part of the yard this morning. I'll do the other half this evening unless we get thunderstorms, which are a possibility.

Yesterday we went to a family party and got to see the newest addition to the family, now all of ten days old. She was the perfect kid, stayed asleep the whole time except for a "lunch break".:)

Answered a casting call for work tomorrow in Boston with my vintage VW. 8:30 AM call, ugh. Going to be fun towing that car in rush hour traffic.

Answered a casting call for work tomorrow in Boston with my vintage VW. 8:30 AM call, ugh. Going to be fun towing that car in rush hour traffic.

I’m curious…do they pay enough to make it worthwhile, or is just something interesting to do?

I’m not judging. The pay for my summer j*b wouldn’t be enough to entice me to get out of bed, except that I enjoy the river and bike trail and would be out there regardless.

Power washed the front of the house, patio furniture and the redwood fence. After a couple of dry out days I'll re-stain the fence and spar urethane the swing.

I’m curious…do they pay enough to make it worthwhile, or is just something interesting to do?

Kind of both. Few hundred a day, but as long as it is nearby and fun, I'd do it for nothing. It is very interesting to watch and take part in. Kind of chaotic but nobody is stressed out. You just show, expect lots of waiting around, and do what you are told.

Mowed the yard and then irrigated the yard. Took a long bike ride and was going to go boating on the river but that didn't happen.

Lumber prices moving down yet?

Yes. I saw select 8’ 2x4’s were as high as $11.89 a week or so ago. Yesterday they were $9.99. Today they were still posted @ 9.99 in the lumber dept, but the cashier had them at $8.79. So I got them at 8.79. But a 8’ 1x3 select pine was 10 bucks. Thought that was high.

I did see a guy in the lumber dept who was making cornhole bean bag game boards for his son. He had $160 in material and was not happy.

Currently hanging out in Anchorage and after an early dinner spent a couple hours at the zoo last night. Haven’t been to a zoo and decades. Sun was still shining and weather was perfect.

Currently hanging out in Anchorage and after an early dinner spent a couple hours at the zoo last night. Haven’t been to a zoo and decades. Sun was still shining and weather was perfect.
That sounds great. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom