Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Started my dock reno project. Pressure washed off all algae and debris.

Shoreline side of my 16 yo fixed dock has been the victim of frost heave and it is about 8" out of level. So I'm taking out the fixed portion and adding a kayak launch.

Submitted this drawing to HOA for a permit. Ordered YAKport Kayak Launch. And assorted hardware. Some hardware is on backorder and they don't know when it will come in.

I was going to wait until it got cooler, but I'm going to start Saturday if I get the permit
Looks like a great design. I think I would consider mounting a couple of ropes/straps on the sides of the YAKport so once I had landed I could grab them and pull myself upright. Of course, you may be much more nimble than I am. But I can picture myself trying to stand up and pitching right over the side of both the kayak and the Yakport, into the water.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 05:07 AM   #1442
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Looks like a great design. I think I would consider mounting a couple of ropes/straps on the sides of the YAKport so once I had landed I could grab them and pull myself upright. Of course, you may be much more nimble than I am. But I can picture myself trying to stand up and pitching right over the side of both the kayak and the Yakport, into the water.
Thanks - great idea on the ropes. The plan doesn't show it, but I ordered some grab bars that extend out from the top of the yakport. Those could help me from falling over the side - hopefully.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #1443
Full time employment: Posting here.

Untangled monster extension cable that I had been putting off while watching my daily Nomad Capitalist YouTube
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #1444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My 85 year old neighbor and I played 18 holes of golf this morning. It was only 88 F and we missed the mid-day thunderstorms. we play a two man scramble and he gets to hit from the "forward" tee box. I'm only 77 and I get to tee off from the regular men's tees. We were "even" after 18 and carded two birdies and two bogeys, the rest pars. That was a real good score for us today.

On the way home, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant and had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a veggie $5.99 lunch special.
It's nice to see you young whipper-snappers are respecting your elders!

WOW, a $6 lunch special. You are not only nice, but money smart.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #1445
Give me a forum ...

It has been a few yers, updated 2 0f 3 Garmin maps. One is old they want $25 to update.
Most of the time I use them as "heads up" display showing speed and for fun of it, altitude. I drive mostly up and down mountains here in western PA.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #1446
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up early and went to ranch again to pick wild berries. It a beautiful morning picking but it is a monotonous job but after 4 hours, I can't do it anymore. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #1447

On a whim and somewhat energetic from a bout of insomnia, at 5:00 AM I decided to charge up a bunch of batteries and load up the pickup truck with R/C airplanes and go flying. I had the flying site all to myself and flew all five airplanes several times and brought all five of them home (not always a given). I stayed there until a bit after noon and the heat was starting to get to me.

Tomorrow I have a 9:00 AM appointment with my R/C student and will get some more flying in then too. The weather is also forecast to be a bit cooler (83F) so maybe we won't have to leave so soon.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #1448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Tomorrow I have a 9:00 AM appointment with my R/C student and will get some more flying in then too. The weather is also forecast to be a bit cooler (83F) so maybe we won't have to leave so soon.

At least with R/C airplanes no need to worry about density altitude.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
At least with R/C airplanes no need to worry about density altitude.
No, but I read on the forums that the people who live in high-altitude places such as in Colorado have to make adjustments just as using propellers with larger diameter and lower pitch. This can be problematic when the larger diameter propeller is prone to ground strikes, which then leads to taller landing gear, which in turn changes angle of attack on landing & takeoff, so nothing is simple. They may be smaller, but they are airplanes and all the rules of aerodynamics still apply.

BTW, check out this video of the wake turbulence and wingtip vortices from a paper airplane. One doesn't normally think about such things with paper airplanes and models, but of course they do occur there as well. The video runs a bit less than six minutes, the engineers will find it interesting.

If you want to dispense with the explanation start at 3:24 where the neat stuff starts:

Old 07-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #1450
Give me a forum ...

Not much. Cleared some debris, got some food at the grocery for supper and mixed the stain for the fence. It's 101F outdoors!

Gonna do the fence tomorrow in the morning before it gets hot again.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #1451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No, but I read on the forums that the people who live in high-altitude places such as in Colorado have to make adjustments just as using propellers with larger diameter and lower pitch. This can be problematic when the larger diameter propeller is prone to ground strikes, which then leads to taller landing gear, which in turn changes angle of attack on landing & takeoff, so nothing is simple. They may be smaller, but they are airplanes and all the rules of aerodynamics still apply.

BTW, check out this video of the wake turbulence and wingtip vortices from a paper airplane. One doesn't normally think about such things with paper airplanes and models, but of course they do occur there as well. The video runs a bit less than six minutes, the engineers will find it interesting.

If you want to dispense with the explanation start at 3:24 where the neat stuff starts:

Good stuff!
Recall many times flying out of Anchorage to Cold Bay in Beachcraft Bonanza, Pilot telling ATC, will wait a bit after the Heavies have left. Send some DC3s, Otters first. Did not want to get caught in the wake turbulence. Even after 10 minutes or so it was still bouncy after takeoff, even in calm winds. Fully loaded 747s left huge wake turbulence.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #1452
Recycles dryer sheets

Last 2 days actually for me . I got out my pressure washer with the driveway attachment. Started at the top near road and proceeded down the hill. Every thing was going good until about 1/2 wy down the connector where the attachment plugs into the pressure gun started spewing water everywhere . Tried "fixing it to no avail so I headed to Lowes. Got there and finally found someone to help me, showed him a picture of where the thing was leaking and he got me the fitting. I headed back home and guess what ---the fitting was the wrong size,grrr, back in truck to Lowes and went back to the section where the fittings were. No one around again so I looked and figured out the one he gave me was in the wrong bin, and they were out of the one I needed. Left ther an across town to Home Depot,same story there,they were also out of the one I needed. I then headed to Ace hardware on the east side of town and they had 2 of them on shelf, bought one and headed home to replace it. By then the 4 hr job has turned into a 7 hr. job because of the running all over town,so I decide to wait until Friday to finish the job. I got started at 8:00 am and finished by 10:00 am, when DW suggests "since you have it out" go ahead and pressure wash the deck in prep for stain! So I did that and now I have another project to tackle next week. Life is grand!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #1453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Good stuff!
Recall many times flying out of Anchorage to Cold Bay in Beachcraft Bonanza, Pilot telling ATC, will wait a bit after the Heavies have left. Send some DC3s, Otters first. Did not want to get caught in the wake turbulence. Even after 10 minutes or so it was still bouncy after takeoff, even in calm winds. Fully loaded 747s left huge wake turbulence.
Wasn't that a very big problem with the Airbus 380? Other planes had to avoid getting near the thing. And they had to wait longer to use the same runway to take off.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #1454

Today was clean out the dryer vent day. Probably should have done it sooner, but it wasn’t too bad. That also meant cleaning behind the washer and dryer. That wasn’t too bad either. We’ve been here 5 years. I could see waiting until we’ve been here another 5 years, but my goal would be to do it again 2 years from now. I also redid the vent piping. When they installed the dryer, they used a big piece of flexible vent pipe and then just shoved it back against the wall. It had a tight bend in it plus a few bends/crushes from pushing it against the wall. I cut out all but a little of the pipe and bought an elbow. Now the flex pipe is only about 1 foot and it basically straight. I also made the connection just before I pushed it back the final few inches. That created the straightest and shortest pipe from the dryer to the wall. From the wall, it’s all solid piping and goes out through the attic to the roof. I’m happy with the job and figured I saved at least a couple hundred doing it myself.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #1455
Give me a forum ...

Stained half the fence. Started to sweat a bit so went inside to cool off. Was 99 degrees, now 104 and rising. Went out for take out sushi lunch, supper in fridge, I'm done for the day!
Old 07-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #1456

Bike rides, picked some service berry, dug my first potatoes from the garden. Got about 16 egg to golf ball size spuds. Going to have a small steak and fried fresh spuds for suppah. About 82 here today and no breeze and sunny.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #1457
Give me a forum ...

Today, I decided to startup my wine club membership at the local wine store. I had stopped it during Covid for several reasons including needing the cash to help out my children who were hit hard by job loss and school closure (read: unexpected child care expenses), but now it's time to get it started again. Their wine bar is the closest thing in my community to the environment of the Cheers TV show.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:36 PM   #1458

Had a nice comfy day today, went flying R/C airplanes and teaching my R/C student. He's making steady progress, now working on approaches to landings. I also made a video taken from one of the airplanes and will post it to youtube later. Oh, and the high was 80F.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #1459

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
..... On the way home, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant and had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a veggie $5.99 lunch special.
I drove to Cheyenne to pick up the last of my interior doors at Menards. Got back home today. Nice looking doors, but it took three trips and a delivery to get them all. It was HOT! My old plow truck does not have air conditioning, but it does have an 8 foot bed. I stopped overnight at my DD and family's house on the way up and back. We went to two local brew pub type places. Both nights the price was over $100. That was for three adults and a 15 month old. Maybe we could find a Cracker Barrel close by??
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #1460
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Google says "no Cracker Barrel in Cheyenne". The nearest one is in Loveland, CO. There are 4 of them in CO, and they are all on I-25.

Out of curiosity, I looked, and saw that AZ has 14 of them. What's the story here?

PS. Utah has 4. Idaho has 2. New Mexico has 3. Oregon has 5. Texas has 20, but it is a much larger state than AZ.

I think this makes a good story for an investigative reporter.