What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday I started the war against Japanese stiltgrass on our property. The theory is that by cutting it down now before it goes to seed (but late enough in the season that it won’t have time to regrow/seed later) one can prevent the spread. I’ve been told to expect a three to five year process to eradicate the plants, since some seeds remain viable from last year.

We have a lot of stiltgrass on our one-acre lot. I’ve been dodging rain showers and going out with the string trimmer and working as long as the battery lasts, then pulling some areas by hand while the battery recharges. I’ve spent about 7-8 hours total over the past three days. It’s been a wet, sticky, buggy job but I’m about 75% done I think. Works done for today since the remnants of Fred are about to hit us. IMG_0071.JPG

Of course, since my neighbors are not participating I will have some of their seeds to contend with next year. But maybe in a couple of years I will have most of our patches under control and can start expanding my boundary a bit to create a buffer.

Here’s a before:after photo from one of my sessions today.

Off & on rain today so stayed inside building an R/C airplane. It's getting close to the time I'll have to decide on what colors for the covering.

I got a body review for skin cancer today. It is an annual chore since a basal cell removal on my nose a few years ago.

I picked up some more electrical parts to finish wiring the circuits for one service panel while in town. When I get that finished, I will be able to move my electrical off the temporary service panel in the back of the house. I also stained some alder wood as a sample for interior doors and trim. One piece with a conditioner and one without. The conditioner (it goes on the wood just prior to staining) made the wood look much nicer with much prettier grain. That is a step I will do for all the interior doors and trim.

After the initial skirmishes, we have drawn in our troops to face the main enemy assault. They are now here, and in force. We have battled them night and day this past fortnight, throwing every weapon in our arsenal against them: saucing, dicing, canning, de-hydrating, oil-packing, jam making, Caprese salads, BLTs and plain sliced tomatoes with salt. The pressure canner and dehydrator run night and day. And, yet, they still advance in numbers heretofore unknown to our people; nothing can stop them.

The troops fight with great skill and valor, but they are so tired. They sleep on their feet, wherever and whenever they can, until the oven timer sounds and they stumble to their posts to meet the next wave. Over and over they slice and chop and mill and dry and can. At one point, the tomato horde sends their demand – “Kitchen Defenders, throw down your jar lifters”. We reply with bravado that we do not actually feel “Molon Labe – come and take them!” And still they advance.

At this point, the outcome seems inevitable. We hope only that those who see our fallen remains will report back to our people – “They did their duty.”

Gumby – Canner First Class, 502nd Provisional Canning Brigade

LOL!!
You had a great crop of tomatoes.

Finished up the "china cab" project. Wifey's aunt is moving (downsizing) and had no room for this rather magnificent piece of furniture.

51387581946_73fd0c7126_o.jpg

I'm too frugal to ever buy something like this, but I spent an hour packing up the glass shelves and unscrewing it from the wall last Sunday and another $700 for movers to get it out here (60 miles) yesterday and another 2 hours today to rewire the lights, screw it to the wall and put back the glass.

But what a piece of lovely eh?

Drove Mom to a medical appointment. Afterwards changed into cycling clothes and cycled 10 miles on some sweet single track trails over to little brothers, chatted a while, then back 10 miles to Moms place.

Got home and wrenched on wife’s old Toyota, putting in a new thermostat.

Another good day!

Went for a bike ride and installed my kayak Yakport. The Yakport is amazing. Just step off the dock into the kayak, sit down, push off, paddle awhile, paddle into the port, pull yourself fully into the port, stand up and get out. I ordered grab handles from Menards with the Yakport, but only 1 came in the package. I should have read the mfr website - only 1 per pkge order 2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 6.03.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 6.03.31 AM.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 59
Finished up the "china cab" project. Wifey's aunt is moving (downsizing) and had no room for this rather magnificent piece of furniture.

I'm too frugal to ever buy something like this, but I spent an hour packing up the glass shelves and unscrewing it from the wall last Sunday and another $700 for movers to get it out here (60 miles) yesterday and another 2 hours today to rewire the lights, screw it to the wall and put back the glass.

That is a beauty!! I would say, well worth your time and effort.

Went for a bike ride and installed my kayak Yakport. The Yakport is amazing. Just step off the dock into the kayak, sit down, push off, paddle awhile, paddle into the port, pull yourself fully into the port, stand up and get out. I ordered grab handles from Menards with the Yakport, but only 1 came in the package. I should have read the mfr website - only 1 per pkge order 2.

Ron, that is very nicely done!! Looks great and was wondering where you have been at on that project. Outstanding!

Ron, that is very nicely done!! Looks great and was wondering where you have been at on that project. Outstanding!

Thanks! It was a fun project. The Yakport has been on back order for more than a month. The rest is done. Some day I'll have to go under water to saw off a few remaining old PVC piers flush with the bottom.

That looks like a great setup!:)

Well, last evening and today we have our future grand daughter. Her mom is out of town for a court trial and my son needed a break from watching her and his own busy life.

I can say she will wear a person down fast!!! I can work hard all day long but she is more tiring then being behind a shovel. Lol

RobbieB--Beautiful!

Well, last evening and today we have our future grand daughter. Her mom is out of town for a court trial and my son needed a break from watching her and his own busy life.

I can say she will wear a person down fast!!! I can work hard all day long but she is more tiring then being behind a shovel. Lol

Yes, Grandkids can easily wear you out, but it is a wonderful kind of tiredness!

today we are just running some errands, enjoying the cooler weather.
Need some rain, though.

A very nice setup, Ronstar! Getting in the kayak is the hardest part, so that's great.

Got to play nine holes of golf after four weeks of SI joint pain, PT visits, massage, exercise and lots of ice. Two weeks ago I did not make it off the driving range without causing it to flare up.

Got a bit of a pleasant surprise earlier today. My 2015 Acura TLX, which has run flawlessly since I bought it used in 2018, does seem to go through batteries. I had to buy a new battery shortly after taking possession. I bought it from Costco. That battery died last month so I bought a new one from Costco again and returned the old one for the $10 core refund. They told me that their batteries have a 100 month warranty (What??!!) and they gave me a full refund for the new one I had just purchased. Not pro-rated, a full refund.

I had no idea they have a 100 month warranty and I don't know anyone who gets anything close to 8+ years from a car battery. Either the customer service rep made a mistake or Costco has the most generous return policy on car batteries on the entire planet.

Either the customer service rep made a mistake or Costco has the most generous return policy on car batteries on the entire planet.

This is what I found on the Costco auto battery warranty:

The flooded battery (Kirkland signature automotive battery) comes with different warranty periods.

0-48 months, the customer gets a free replacement.
49-66 months, the customer will get a 50% refund. This will depend on the purchase value.
67-100 months, one gets 25% refund depending on the purchase price.

You were within 48 months, thus the 100% refund.

This is what I found on the Costco auto battery warranty:

You were within 48 months, thus the 100% refund.

Yeah, it was about 40 months. The original battery from the assembly line lasted about the same amount of time. Theoretically, if that pattern repeats I'll get another free battery in 2024 :LOL:

Finished up the "virtual office" transfer of title for the boat and the trailer today. Was about a 6 day process. All done online.

First fill out forms and upload front and back of signed titles from seller.

Then submit additional info as required.

Next submit payment

And last, mail in the originals and the supplements with the cover sheet as instructed.

But hey, I didn't have to make an appointment or wait in line during the covid times.

Pretty slick. We'll see how it ends - :)

I canned tomatoes - 13 pints of them. I went out to the garden to collect more tomatoes to can tomorrow. Also canned 6 half pints of pickled cherry peppers and prepared the rhubarb solution for the jelly we'll also can tomorrow.

We went to "The Wedge" at Newport Beach (Balboa Peninsula) to see the high surf. I shot some video and we enjoyed the fresh air. There were a lot of photographers and surfers there today. We then ate brunch at Balboa Village which was really nice. After I got home, I wanted to review what I shot and my PC started to shut down when there was load on my graphics. So I then picked up a 850 watt power supply from Best Buy and all is well now.

Played golf today....96 F so we only played 9 holes. Youngest player was 74. It sure was hot and humid. But we had a good time.:)

I picked up 24 20kg bags of softening salt from Costco this morning. I carried 10 down into my parents basement and the other 14 into my basement. It was a great workout!!

I don't normally buy that many at once but it was on sale plus we're stocking up early for winter so I don't have to carry them through the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom