What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a late evening call yesterday--previous employer is calling all retired nurses and nurse managers to come back to gear up for Covid vaccine clinics.

My answer--if I get my vaccine first, you bet I will be there!
I go Tuesday for my first shot and Thursday have online orientation.
I get to set my salary, number of days I will work, and when I plan to start (I told them not until both shots are in my arms!)
But the prize is getting the vaccine.

Interesting, makes me wonder if I would be willing to return to work if I was offered the vaccine. Would be tempting as I've just spent the past 4 1/2 hours calling to try to get an appointment at a mass vaccination site next week. Unable to get through even though I've made 347 attempts so far. They are taking calls (assuming you can get through) until 8pm or until all 9,000 appointments are filled.

Whaddya do all day... :facepalm:

I am looking forward to returning this time (#4!).
Mass vaccination clinics is true Public Health!!

Interesting, makes me wonder if I would be willing to return to work if I was offered the vaccine. Would be tempting as I've just spent the past 4 1/2 hours calling to try to get an appointment at a mass vaccination site next week. Unable to get through even though I've made 347 attempts so far. They are taking calls (assuming you can get through) until 8pm or until all 9,000 appointments are filled.

Whaddya do all day... :facepalm:

Wow. That's tough. I did the online thing Tuesday and bet I tried a 100 times. System overload. Lucky to get through. I know some who called instead of trying online and they got...."you are number 6000 in the que". Ha.

Gorgeous weather on the west coast today. Went out this morning on my mountain bike for 3-1/2 hours, 30 miles and 3,500 ft of hill climbing.

Before I left this morning I put a pork shoulder on low and slow heat for pulled pork. A little later going to take about a pound of that lovely pork, 1/2 dz tortillas and other fixings out to a local brewery to enjoy with my favorite porter and beautiful wife.

Life is good!

Helped my daughter put a border of paving blocks around a couple of vegetable beds, and ordered a couple of paint samples for the living room walls.

Our outside work was interrupted by afternoon rain, and we'll have to continue tomorrow.

Wow. That's tough. I did the online thing Tuesday and bet I tried a 100 times. System overload. Lucky to get through. I know some who called instead of trying online and they got...."you are number 6000 in the que". Ha.

Unfortunately registration for this mass vaccination site is via phone only and they don't put you in a que, you either get through to a live person or get a busy signal. I ended up getting a busy signal 659 times and never got to make an appointment.

Managed to register online for Covid vaccination. No indication of how long the wait will be. But I expect months. This is in Norway. We are among the slowest to roll out the vaccine. But fortunately the epidemic hasn't been as bad here as in some other countries.

You need to learn persistence. ;)

And I will need to learn patience - projected timeline for us to get vaccinated is between July and September (and we are over 60!). Since this is a government estimate, I am planning for an even longer wait. Thankfully, we have enough COVID safe activities to keep us occupied until then.

Got a late evening call yesterday--previous employer is calling all retired nurses and nurse managers to come back to gear up for Covid vaccine clinics.

My answer--if I get my vaccine first, you bet I will be there!
I go Tuesday for my first shot and Thursday have online orientation.
I get to set my salary, number of days I will work, and when I plan to start (I told them not until both shots are in my arms!)
But the prize is getting the vaccine.

There is a huge need for qualified staff. Thank you for being willing! : )

Started doing my state taxes and discovered an error in the instruction booklet for Connecticut's Form 1040. I will call the Dept. of Revenue Services on Tuesday to discuss it with them.

This brings to mind some popular sitcom characters, Felix Unger, Spock, Data, and Sheldon Cooper, for example. :LOL:

Recently I realized that the fancy labeled spice bottles in the stylish rotating rack I've had for a few years are not airtight. Also, I like to keep my seasonings near the stove, which means the bottles sometimes get warm and also spattered and dusty. So I transfered them to the Spice Island bottles my mom gave me, and will keep them on a couple trays in the cupboard by the stove.

Labels are easier to see on the lids, so I removed the Spice Island labels and made stickers for the lids, themed after the periodic table. Some seasons are yet to be added, but here's what I have so far:

Attachments

• spice_bottles.JPG
    spice_bottles.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 49
I watched a really great documentary film - "With: A Journey to the Slow Life". It captures how I feel when I make music with friends.

Built a shelf for some older work cloths in the garage that I use when I go to the ranch. I made a connection bolt for a copping saw that I had lost the one end to connect the 6.5 inch blade. I also took off dryer venting hose and replaced it with new aluminum dryer flex hose. Took a walk and bummed around the rest of the day.

It snowed with icy roads so I took advantage of that when I opted to stay home.

Started doing my state taxes and discovered an error in the instruction booklet for Connecticut's Form 1040. I will call the Dept. of Revenue Services on Tuesday to discuss it with them.

Well, I made my call today. The person I spoke with kept putting me on hold (so she could talk to the agency lawyers). I believe I eventually convinced her that my interpretation of the tax laws is correct and the booklet is wrong, but she said she was getting pushback from legal. She asked if I was a tax professional. I told her no, just a retired assistant attorney general who was quite happy to talk with the DRS lawyers about statutory interpretation. That made her laugh. She took my number and promised to call me back. We shall see.

I am going to file my taxes according to my (correct) interpretation of the statutes. If I have to fight them in court, I've got nothing better to do with my time. It's only about an $87 issue for the young wife and me, but if the booklet were followed as currently written, it will lead thousands of retired teachers to pay more taxes than required. Which is why if the DRS ultimately doesn't agree with me, my next call will be to the Connecticut Education Association's lawyers. They might swing a bigger stick with the DRS.

Well, I made my call today. The person I spoke with kept putting me on hold (so she could talk to the agency lawyers). I believe I eventually convinced her that my interpretation of the tax laws is correct and the booklet is wrong, but she said she was getting pushback from legal. She asked if I was a tax professional. I told her no, just a retired assistant attorney general who was quite happy to talk with the DRS lawyers about statutory interpretation. That made her laugh. She took my number and promised to call me back. We shall see.

I am going to file my taxes according to my (correct) interpretation of the statutes. If I have to fight them in court, I've got nothing better to do with my time. It's only about an $87 issue for the young wife and me, but if the booklet were followed as currently written, it will lead thousands of retired teachers to pay more taxes than required. Which is why if the DRS ultimately doesn't agree with me, my next call will be to the Connecticut Education Association's lawyers. They might swing a bigger stick with the DRS.

"What will you do all day?" indeed....:LOL:

Me, I just flew a new R/C aircraft, the UMX Ultrix in the back yard and managed to get it stuck in one of the airplane-eating trees. Twitchy little bugger! This is the package ordered from Amazon and delivered six weeks later by USPS. I did get it back with the aid of a snow rake, a device used to rake snow off the roof in heavy snows. It has about a 20-foot pole that has proven useful for more than raking snow off the roof. I actually did use it to rake snow once.

Woke up to fresh fluffy snow. DW kept telling me we had a lot more than the six inches I thought. When I went to snowblow I figured out she was correct, as normal. When I used a ruler it said twelve inches in open areas, there's a number of trees around our house making for fun when they decide to dump some snow, pictured.

After the first snowblower run and lunch we went for a walk around the neighborhood; it was a like a party! Many people were out running their snowblowers, a few tourists digging out by hand. Stopped by a friends home as they were dealing with the snow and played with their dog.

When we got home the snow stopped for today and I had to clear out the three feet of snow the grader operator piled at the end of our driveway. Finally came in and we're enjoying a cup of coffee and watching snow dropping from the trees.20210119_110638.jpeg

I bought a new (used) guitar today...was going to post in "blow that dough" but paid so little that I thought it would be inappropriate. :LOL:

I was looking for an inexpensive 2nd acoustic guitar to leave at our new cabin and was complaining to a friend that so many people on Marketplace are trying to sell used guitars for more than list price. He offered me his hardly used Art & Lutherie acoustic for a ridiculous $125...he paid a little over $300 a few years ago and they now sell for $600+. He said that I let him have some extra weight plates years ago that he still has so don't worry about it.

Although it's in the budget guitar category, it sounds nice, has good action, and is easy to play.
20210119_135519 (2).jpg

Week two of minimal inside interaction: cancelled haircut appointment for next week, added a few things to tomorrow's curbside grocery pickup, ordered and curbside picked-up yarn for two more prayer shawls. However, I did make a quick Costco run as we were out of Kleenex and my contact lens solution is on sale 25% off this month so I wanted to stock up. Put on KN95 with cloth mask on top, but I picked a good day as it's drizzling and the parking lot was much emptier than usual. Got some wine, beef, lamb, and veggies along with the essentials and was still out the door in 20 minutes. Took the doggie for a very short walk in between drizzles. We're forecast to have weather like this the rest of the week - very unusual for us Texans used to our blue skies and sunshine!

Spent the morning working on small home maintenance projects and getting estimates for duct work (cleaning/leak test/sealing).

At noon listened to a Fidelity webinar on their 2021 outlook and how it related to investing, retirement, and estate planning.

After the seminar, the weather was sunny breezy, and in the 40's, so I decided to go golfing. met up with 2 other folks I knew, and we socially-distanced walked the course. Bundled up with winter golf gloves made it very comfortable.Found a dozen balls worth keeping.

on saturday i got a haircut then did the weekly grocery shopping. yeaterday, my wife and i made a run to our fav bakery. then a stop at Target pick up a new toaster but the first store was out-of-stock contrary to their online inventory. we stopped at a second Target store to see if they had the desired toaster and they but again this was contrary to their online inventory. today we declared a personal holiday. had b'fast and lunch in bed, watched tv and napped. finally rolled out around 4pm.

I'll give the highlights for today.
Took lunch to my wife at her j*b. Went for a 3 mile walk. Took a nap. Went for a 2 mile walk. Listened to an excellent podcast. Took my daughter driving (she has her learners permit). Made dinner for family. Great Day !

Went for a snowy 5 mile hike. Saw more bald eagles (5) than people (0). A perfect day.
And set up my Alexa Echo Show.

Attachments

• eagle 8 01192021.jpg
    eagle 8 01192021.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 34
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom