What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning, I fertilized all the plants in the yard all around the house. I did by mixing and dissolving fertilizer in a 2-gallon watering can, so that was a lot of walking around and it took a lot of time. I intentionally do it in this inefficient way to get some exercise.

Then, I climbed up to the garage attic to sort out the stuff stored there. Decided to get a folding attic ladder to make it easy to get access to the attic, without having to get out a ladder all the time. I installed an attic ladder in my previous home, but have been procrastinating in this house for more than 30 years now. Finally thought that if I delayed it further, would not be able to do it when I get even older.

So, I drove out to Home Depot to get it, and will install it tomorrow.

My wife did not feel like cooking dinner tonight, so I said I would take care of it. Got some Italian hot sausages, sliced and cooked them with julienned onion and red bell peppers, and served the dish with some bread. Felt a bit tipsy from the wine I started drinking when cooking and continuing throughout the dinner, but still went for the usual walk after dinner.

Then, back home looking at my portfolio. The market is basically flat today, but I am up 1.75%, and on a stock AA of 73% at that. Yes, my stock AA has climbed up from 60% due to being forced to buy some stocks via put options when the market dipped due to the "Gamestonk" fiasco.

Life is so good, what did I do to deserve it?

Last edited:
I intended to file my income tax return today since we're getting a nice refund. Alas, I cannot, because Form 8606 is not in final form yet.

did something change with the 8606? i downloaded it from the IRS website about a week ago.

The H&R Block program says it is not in final form. They expect to update on 2/18. Maybe the problem is them, not the IRS.

Problem was H&R Block. Updated this morning and filed my return today.

Did taxes, walked to the library to return 3 books, pulled all clothes 2 sizes too big out of closet & in car for Goodwill donation tomorrow morning, hung out with the 7 yr old, then got a call from county health who wanted to give me an appointment 20 miles away for vaccine. Nope not going 40 miles rt when there's 2 sites within walking distance. I think I'm socially responsible-- always mask at dog park, grocers, hiking, picking up to-go food. Normally only out and about a few hours each day.

Came back and got an email that taxes were accepted. All done for another year

Last edited:
Been on a boil advisory since Tuesday night. Took a Navy shower due to low pressure then rinsed with some boiled water. It’s been about 36 years since I took a Navy shower. I’ll probably have bad dreams tonight.

Went to our local Ace Hardware today because they had a 20% off sale. Bought 2 bags of river pebbles, a bag of fertilizer that contains 15% chicken manure, a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 plywood, and a mechanics creeper.
The plywood and the creeper are to allow me to get under my switch engine with a camera to document what is there and what shape it is in.

Stacked two face cords of hardwood. It will be the last wood for this year and hopefully will have a half cord left over to start in the fall with. Has been a mild winter but COVID has meant more time in the house so more burn time. Almost 8 face cords this year.

Snowblowed a path across the back yard to the "pooping place" for our two dogs, one of which is a nearly 14 year old Border Collie who struggles in deep snow. Third time clearing the path this week. Haven't had that much snowfall, but wind comes from across the lake and drifts over the path nearly every day. Really tired of this winter, can't wait for warmer days...

We went to a conformation handling class to get back in practice for upcoming shows in Texas.

Now that HEB is open and getting restocked ... yay!

Attachments

• B4704291-AECC-441F-BBBA-27AE517C3973.jpeg
    B4704291-AECC-441F-BBBA-27AE517C3973.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 49
We've been looking for 4 counter height swivel stools for the new kitchen island. Average to decent ones are $160 - $200 new, nice ones $250+. Everything on Marketplace was junk, not what we wanted, or only 2 or 3 in the set. Then I lucked out yesterday and found someone selling 4 decent ones for $150 (for all 4) that are almost exactly what we were looking for.

I picked them up this morning and saved $600 - $800. Easy money... :cool:

Enjoying the sun and 47 degrees today. Much nicer than the 30 degree temp, ice, and loss of power for 6 days last week!
Getting papers gathered for taxes.

I went to Lowes picked up some wood treatment for the exterior of the Sauna I'm building. Made a trip out to a vacant property, just to see if anyone has broke into the shed, again. Nope!
I got my second shingles vaccine at 6:30 am today. The first one I didn't feel the needle. didn't feel the liquid going in, and no pain later. This one, I felt the needle, I felt the liquid and 6 hours later, my arm is very sore. Not like the first dose. Ya win some, ya lose some.

I filed DMs taxes this morning. She had a very good year. No RMD last year so her income was lower. Coupled with higher medical deduction she had 0 tax, first time in years, and she got an unexpected bonus with the stimulus payment recalculation.

Kind of a day been dreading coming, had to put one of our dogs down this morning. He's been doing poor last few months with weak hind legs; to go with being near deaf and also compromised sight. Suspected cancer tumor somewhere inside. Today was the day he let us know it was time. Never easy, have unfortunately been through this several times in past. Approx 14 years old cattle dog mix, was a rescue we had for 11 years.

I'm sorry. It's never easy even when you know it's the right thing to do.

It's finally warm enough to hang linens outside so I'm on my 5th load and then will put them up until it gets cold (under 40° at night) again.

Last edited:
Finished and filed the income taxes; efile for federal and snail-mail for state (TurboTax wants $20 for state efile which I refuse to pay). Picked up the pickup truck after the state inspection and oil change, went to OfficeMax for a new shredder to replace the failed one in the office here and then to the post office to mail the state income taxes. And all this before noon!

Came home, ate lunch, and then "inspected my eyelids for holes" for an hour or so.

Went grocery shopping this morning at 6:30am. When I was checking out the lady said she couldn't ring up a bottle of wine for 5 minutes. So I said I'll put it on the belt last. I am guessing but there is a homeless camp near the store and maybe they don't want to sell them alcohol during the night. Got everything rung up and then had to wait 2 minutes until 7:01am before she could add the wine. Maybe its programmed into the register to not accept it until that time.

Went grocery shopping this morning at 6:30am. When I was checking out the lady said she couldn't ring up a bottle of wine for 5 minutes.

It's probably a remnant of state blue laws from Prohibition. Here in WV no alcoholic beverages can be sold on Sunday before 1:00 PM. I suppose there's an interesting history of drunks showing up for Sunday services behind that law.:angel:

When we first moved to Connecticut, you couldn't buy booze after 8pm, and not at all on Sunday. So you had to plan ahead. It was well into the 2000's before that changed. Still can't buy anything but beer in the grocery store.

Last week I came upon my photography gear while looking for something else. It was decent stuff when I bought it in 2003-2005, and I had a lot of fun with it until about 2014 when my DD graduated from college and her track & field career ended.

When I bought my DSLR I experimented with studio stuff and nature photography, but what I really liked was taking action photos of my daughters’ athletic pursuits. Shooting soccer/softball/basketball for them led to a stringer gig with the local weekly newspaper. Once that little rag folded and my DDs graduated my gear sat unused.

I decided to sell/get rid of it all, because it’s old enough that if I ever get the photography itch again I will definitely need a new camera body and who knows if my lenses would even be appropriate? Might as well get a little bit of cash if there’s any value left and gain some cabinet space.

A local camera shop gave me an offer ($X for one lens, $Y for all the rest of the equipment). Before taking the stuff to him I listed a few things on Facebook Marketplace. One guy was interested in two of the flashes and while he was here I showed him all that I had. He was excited to buy most of it including the big lens for more than the camera shop offered me. He knows he got a really good deal and I’m happy to clear stuff out.

Now I have a little bit of “fun money” burning a hole in my pocket

Kind of a day been dreading coming, had to put one of our dogs down this morning. He's been doing poor last few months with weak hind legs; to go with being near deaf and also compromised sight. Suspected cancer tumor somewhere inside. Today was the day he let us know it was time. Never easy, have unfortunately been through this several times in past. Approx 14 years old cattle dog mix, was a rescue we had for 11 years.

been there, done that. dreading the day when it's Maggie's time. thoughts are with you.

So sorry, those are the worst days. BTDT 4 times now.... and today have a 13.5 year old Border Collie who is starting to struggle now. But it tells me that if we are dog people through and through (I am) it is the price we pay for adopting these furry mutts who bring us so much joy... but so much heartache at the end. I like to say, "They have been there for you unwavering for all those years, at their end, you have to be there for them and do what is right."

Every one of ours too, "told us" when it was time. In most cases they just stopped eating for day no matter what we offered them.

Do what you need to do for them, cherish all they have given you, and you them.

They never truly leave you after all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom