What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're reminding me that I need to buy a wheelbarrow. I looked at them, but treat such things too roughly to buy a cart with a plastic bed. The plastic wheelbarrow I didn't move spent most of its life with a sheet of plywood glued under the base. :facepalm:

Agree the plastic ones you need to be careful. I have two metal wheelbarrows for the heavy stuff. On another note, I bought DW one of those 2 wheel wheelbarrows, it is plastic bucket, but the 2 wheels gives better stability for her. She also has an approx 2ft x 4 ft 4 wheel garden cart to use. We both do the yardwork, but the more stable wheelbarrow was a wise choice to make it easier for her.

Got today started by sitting out front watching a glorious sunrise while enjoying a delightfully fresh cup of coffee. DW was up a little earlier than normal, so took the 4 legged mongrels for an early walk.

After our walk, out to the yard I went! We had a couple of sprinkler heads that were damaged so I replaced those as well and did a little PVC work on another sprinkler line. I am very happy that we had little to no damage from our winter freeze to the plumbing/well/septic but some of our trees look like they may have taken a significant hit which is depressing since we lost so many with October's ice storm. :( The local extension office said all we can do is "hurry up and wait" to see if they come back or not.

After lunch, I will probably start breaking down the "winter shelter" I have put up to protect the pool equipment pad. With temps in the 60s for the foreseeable future, I plan on spending quite a bit of time outside. :)

Have I mentioned retirement life is so, SO good?!? :dance:

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 63
Today was fertilizing day. I use one kind for almost everything, but a special fertilizer for the gardenia.
Too early to get tomato plants. I plan to get the same varieties I had last year; Celebrity and Bobcat. One of the Bobcat tomatoes weighed 17 ounces!
We live in a MHP, so I have everything planted either in front of our home, or along side the carport.

Got my 4th COVID test this morning. Took DD out to lunch for her birthday Monday last week. She got sick with a couple COVID symptoms that same night. Another person in the house where she lives tested positive. DW and I got tested Thursday, neg result reported Friday. DW didn't get tested until yesterday and last night I was feeling 4-5 different COVID symptoms, although each was VERY mild, so I booked a test today. On my way out this morning, DW reports a negative test and I feel much better this morning.

Fun stuff!!

Got my first 'professional' haircut in 10 months today. I've been nipping it back myself due to covid concerns. Went to an old fashion barber shop and there was one barber who had to be 80 years old available. Reluctantly I gave him a try. Let's just say I won't need one for at least 3 months. :( Oh well....I can blow that dough on something else.

Built a birdhouse. When our community garden opens up on 4/1, we plan to install the birdhouse in our plot. There are a number of other birdhouses in the garden and they are well used by the local birds.

Got my first 'professional' haircut in 10 months today. I've been nipping it back myself due to covid concerns. Went to an old fashion barber shop and there was one barber who had to be 80 years old available. Reluctantly I gave him a try. Let's just say I won't need one for at least 3 months. :( Oh well....I can blow that dough on something else.

:LOL:

Went to the post office to pick up a package that needed a signature, then a minor grocery run.

The package turned out to be an R/C airplane that looks for all the world like a bird when in flight. There are some funny youtube videos of other birds attacking it for intruding on "their" territory. I have to give whoever packed it credit, it was well packaged and survived the trip from China intact. So I spent the rest of the morning/afternoon assembling that. All that's left is installing the controls and radio gear, and finish picking the glue off my fingers.

I've had other birds try to chase away a sailplane on occasion, it'll be interesting to see how they react to this thing.

We are boondocks camping in Anza Borrego park in So Cal. Hiked today, then managed a shower at the local campground. Back at camp and just enjoying the views and nice temps.IMG_0316.jpg

After continually replacing the vacuum line between the engine and the brakes while plowing last week, I recruited a neighbor to drive my Jeep while I drove the plow truck in to the shop today. Looks like a broken motor mount to me. I still have a road or two to plow. Hopefully I will get the truck back in a couple of days. In the meantime, the drywall folks showed up yesterday to prep for mudding and taping the upstairs living areas tomorrow. They may be done including texture by Friday.

Hey, he tried! :LOL:

I got mine cut on December 23rd, and even today it's still too short and it's starting to look a little uneven. That's ok with me! Like you said, at least I won't have to pay for another haircut until summer. And with half the town going around with COVID hairstyles (long, shaggy, etc, nightmarish?) I feel better with having it too short than too long. Just looking at the hair of random people on the street, it looks like some Grade B zombie movie.

P.S. - - love your beach photo!

Changed out the water filter

Hey, he tried! :LOL:

I got mine cut on December 23rd, and even today it's still too short and it's starting to look a little uneven. That's ok with me! Like you said, at least I won't have to pay for another haircut until summer. And with half the town going around with COVID hairstyles (long, shaggy, etc, nightmarish?) I feel better with having it too short than too long. Just looking at the hair of random people on the street, it looks like some Grade B zombie movie.

P.S. - - love your beach photo!

Well, I guess I had a 10 year lead on the new "COVID" hair style! :LOL:

Just go home from our second jab in the arm, had a quick breakfast and will be off soon to meet up with a friend for a 4 mile walk. Then some paperwork this afternoon.

Woke up to fresh snow about 4 inches. It's going to be over 50° tomorrow so I didn't run the blower. We had an appointment for our Covid-19 vaccine this morning and DW had to go to hand therapy in the same place a while later. I left 15 minutes after my injection to get prescriptions and get gasoline. By the time I was done back she was almost ready. Therapist gave her a good review, her range of motion has returned to normal.

I was going to assemble another shelving unit that I'd bought online from Home Depot and was delivered yesterday, but some parts were missing no doubt from the box being torn up on the way by UPS. I called Gladiator and the nice lady said she'd ship it next week, the parts are backordered now. That'll work, I really do not want to haul this stuff back to Home Depot.

DW got her first COVID-19 shot! I'd been on a waiting list at Walgreens and they called for me (I just had the last one done) but DW asked if she could get hers and they agreed.

The letter excusing me from jury duty arrived. Yay!

Finished one R/C airplane that looks like a bird, and started another, a small powered glider that I'll be able to fly in the back yard. This is an old-time kit, designed at least 25 years ago and from the looks of the high-quality balsa wood in it (VERY hard to find now) it may be that old.

It seems that China is buying up almost all of Ecuador's annual growth of balsa wood for use in the cores of windmill blades. This is why balsa wood is now so expensive and generally of poor quality when you do find it. Fortunately balsa is a fast-growing tree so hopefully supply can catch up to demand.

82 F here today with low humidity. Great Texas winter weather. Just came back from a round of golf with three friends. :cool:

Went for my final post THR physio*, plus an X-ray and a brief consultation with the surgeon, (follow up with him in two months).

(*Physio said "I want you to walk from here to here and back, as fast as you can - no running". She had to run to keep up with me.).

Came home, got on the elliptical, (baby settings, as instructed), had a small introductory (for the new hip), workout.

Sounds like you had a really great day, Nemo!
Congrats and keep it up.

Sounds like you had a really great day, Nemo!
Congrats and keep it up.

Thanks! The first couple weeks post-op I was kinda questioning my decision to have it done, (the old "Maybe it wasn't so bad before" doubts crept in)....now..it's great!

Thanks! The first couple weeks post-op I was kinda questioning my decision to have it done, (the old "Maybe it wasn't so bad before" doubts crept in)....now..it's great!

Glad to hear, keep the exercising up. It only gets better from here. I have two of them and just finished a round of golf today and played as well as I did 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom