What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in electricity cost here, including taxes, fees, and everything was about 9¢ five years ago, and has risen to 11¢ today. That's a pretty stiff increase, but still quite affordable.

Our electric co-op gives us a choice of flat-rate pricing at 7 cents per kwh or time-based pricing, which we found works best for us.

June through September the rates are 11 per kwh peak and 4.5 per kwh at night. The remainder of the year the rates are 7 per kwh peak and 5 per kwh at night. We pay a flat $25 per month in addition to the above rates.

Last year our average monthly bill was $157.

Last edited:
REWahoo, COOP's are awesome. PUD's are anther story and a complete different topic.

I get my electric from a New Mexico utility 11.507 kWh currently all the time, From the sky islands of southern Arizona.

Gumby, 27¢ that is high. I'm just out of touch with KWH prices I guess.
Our rates are the third highest in the country, after Alaska and Hawaii. See here https://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-prices-by-state/

Although they say it's just 21.62 cents/kwh. That probably excludes the fixed charge (which based on my usage would be about 2.5 cents) and maybe some state mandated fee that goes to something else. Just dividing my bill by the kwh used works out to 26.56 cents/kwh.

Last edited:
The fixed rate of 27c/kWh is outrageous. It's as expensive as in California, except that there, the rate goes up even higher if you use more than so many kWh/month. I don't know if they care that you have more people in the household or not.

My utility company is a non-profit organization that used to be a government agency. The Salt River Project started out as the agency that managed the dams and reservoirs to provide water to the Phoenix area. As the metro area grew and the demand exceeded what SRP could provide, the new areas had to be served by another commercial utility company, and their rate is higher.

SRP offers several different price plans, and the Time-of-Use plan that I chose is just one of 5 plans for regular customers. If I want a fixed rate plan, I will pay about 12c in the summer, and 8c in the winter.

With all plans, the rate changes through the year with the season. The peak period also changes. Right now, the peak period is from 2PM to 8PM.

SRP has 4 more plans for people with solar power who want to export to the grid. And it also has another plan or two for people who want to charge their EV during off-peak. Is it complicated enough for you? :)

My DIY solar system is off-grid. Selected circuits are auto-transferred to the inverters if the battery is not empty, and to the grid if the battery is low. I can use the grid during off-peak to charge the battery, but choose not to do so as it does not make economic sense for the current situation.

Last night, I found out that the battery ran out at 9:30PM. Yes, that was a hot day. I am going to take the pool pump off the solar power today, in order to be sure that the battery can support the ACs through the peak-demand period.

PS. Besides the kWh charges, there's also a fix charge that varies with the plan. For my TOU plan, I pay $20/month even if I use no kWh.

Last edited:
Our rates are the third highest in the country, after Alaska and Hawaii. See here https://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-prices-by-state/

Although they say it's just 21.62 cents/kwh. That probably excludes the fixed charge (which based on my usage would be about 2.5 cents) and maybe some state mandated fee that goes to something else. Just dividing my bill by the kwh used works out to 26.56 cents/kwh.

Yes, if you add in the various fixed charges, the electricity cost is more than just the few cents/kWh.

However, unless you can go off-grid, the kWh charge is the incremental cost that you save if you conserve.

We had our return breakfast for the 'Table of Useless Knowledge' this morning, first meeting in 15 months. Everyone was doing well, even our 95 year old.
It was nice to get together again.

Waiting for our termite guy to get here, and do our annual termite inspection. Termites have been a problem in New Orleans in past years, so annual inspections between regular preventative treatments are normal.

https://www.orkin.com/locations/louisiana-la/termites

The termite guy is 25 minutes late :( but that's OK, I'm retired so I'm not actually doing much anyway.

The little dog and I are back into our summer routine of getting our daily 2.5-3 mile walk in immediately after waking up in the morning - too hot to do it any other time. After that I cleaned the fish pond for the first time this year. I normally have the garden center that built it almost 10 years ago drain and clean it each spring, but they have been completely slammed with people needing repairs after the February ice and snow storms. So I climbed in to do my best at tidying it up - pruning the bog plants, fertilizing the lilies, and scooping out some of the leaves on the bottom. Not professional by any means, but an improvement. Shower sure felt good after that!

Life as we used to know if pre-Covid is returning. We took one of the kids out to an indoor restaurant for the first time in over a year. June 15th here most Covid restrictions are being lifted. One of our senior clubs has activities are starting up again, the local bars and breweries are having live bands, and we have more in person plans with friends and not just Zoom. I hope no variants pop-up here that the vaccines don't work against. It would be hard to return to full social distancing again.

I painted the wood trim on our screened in outdoor patio area. The last few years of torrential rains have given the wood a hard time.

There is a adult bunny that has been entering our back yard through a loose cedar fence board that has shifted enough for him (her?) to squeeze through. he is munching on the grass between 6 and 8 PM when it starts too cool down. I think he is getting used to me as I have been out in the screened patio while he has been feeding. As long as my "killer" Jack Russel (mix) terrier doesn't see him, all will be good (he will run him off I am sure).:LOL:

I'm considering getting some rabbit food and leaving it out in the area where he is feeding.

I painted the wood trim on our screened in outdoor patio area. The last few years of torrential rains have given the wood a hard time.

There is a adult bunny that has been entering our back yard through a loose cedar fence board that has shifted enough for him (her?) to squeeze through. he is munching on the grass between 6 and 8 PM when it starts too cool down. I think he is getting used to me as I have been out in the screened patio while he has been feeding. As long as my "killer" Jack Russel (mix) terrier doesn't see him, all will be good (he will run him off I am sure).:LOL:

I'm considering getting some rabbit food and leaving it out in the area where he is feeding.

Why? Let the rabbit be your volunteer lawn mower.

Drove out of the storm and into some beautiful weather. We stopped and watched a wild turkey fight and kill a pretty good size snake. That was a new one on me. I knew domestic turkeys could be mean, but didn't know wild turkeys were carnivorous...

As a kid, I have seen farm chicken eating lizards.

And recently, saw videos of farm chicken eating mice that invaded their coop to steal the chicken feed. You would not think a chicken can swallow a mouse whole, but it does.

Mowed the yard, went up on house roof and did some chalking around vents, sewer pipes and under some shingles that were not sealed down.
I eat lunch and then went to ranch to meet with forest service for a review and recommendations for sustaining tree growth and vegetation control. I will be planting about 500 trees next spring in rough terrain with a dibble tool.

Worked on my aquariums today. If you are looking for a new hobby I'd highly recommend it, especially if you're retired. These are my freshwater planted tanks. 20210412_200527.jpg20210415_201216.jpg

Took the new Jeep for its first topless ride.Made a dolly to store the top when it's off the Jeep. Putzed in my workshop and ordered some woodworking tools. And cut the grass.

Went with my younger brother for a long day drive to the coast, beautiful sunny weather, had a wonderful lunch outside a fish house, walked along the boardwalk, checking out the touristy stores.
Haven't spent time with just the two of us for many years, we are only 18 months apart. It was fun and a whole lot of laughs.

Installed a 10' x 13' sun shade like this over part of our deck this morning. Added two 8ft galvanized chain link fence posts on the edge of the deck for two of the corner mounts and used the roof fascia for the other two corner attachments.

Temp was close to 90 by the time I finished and the heat index was approaching 100. Really wore me out. :dead:

Very happy with how it turned out. I want to add another one but will wait a while to see how it will hold up in the wind. We get a lot of that here in TX, as you may have heard.

Last edited:
We harvested the first of our slicing cucumbers from the garden today. The little picklers were ready two days earlier.

I got a can of soda from a vending machine today. Checked my emails repeatedly afterward and I still haven't received a survey asking about my satisfaction or whether I would recommend that machine to others.

I tell ya, things are just falling apart lately.

:cool:

Drove up to Chicagoland for a seasonal stay. It’s been a year and a half since we were last here and the house shows it. It needs lots of TLC.

The drive up had the most traffic and congestion since ‘08. Lots of trucks, although strangely enough, not many auto carriers. Our interstate highway system is still amazing, but we also saw more need for highway maintenances and repair than any time since we started cross country trips back in the early aughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom