What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended up hitting three different grocery stores in one day to get everything on the list. I think that's a first, for us anyway. DW was all worried about some TV forecast for heavy rain although the local forecast from NWS is just showers. But, happy wife, happy life....

Today going to do a little hunting then spend the day at the ranch. I have many projects to do but one will be removing an old tree stand and placing a new one in a different spot. Going to play more then do projects. Lol
Had a hiccup yesterday in the final step in land deal so it will happen Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Not so much, what I did, but what I had done.
Had insulation blown into my attic.
The before and after.

After drywall removal and replacement, my son-in-law had insulation blown in the attic. We installed LED ceiling lights and in a few spots--no insulation :facepalm:

Cellphone cameras are great for recording through a 4" hole and you can go about 270* before you need to move on the ladder.

They are coming back to add some more.
Do it right or do it again!

So far, I mowed the lawn with the bagger on, then took the bags of shredded leaves (and a small amount of grass) out to the garden plot for sheet composting over the winter. I'm in the middle of smoking a pork shoulder, with which we will make pulled pork for dinner with the neighbors tomorrow. Once that's done, I'll be making a grocery run. Busy, busy, busy.

Tonight will be slow, though, as the young wife is off to a double run of the theater production she has been working on. (The Rocky Horror Show). She is one of the costume/wardrobe people.

Waiting in line for a COVID booster with DW and MIL. Very crowded - they are telling people to come back later. But we got in and the line is moving. After we’re done, we’re off to my niece’s to deliver a box I made for her.

This week has been the first to feel "normalish" in 18 months. Went to community choir rehearsal on Monday night (vaccination and mask required), church choir rehearsal on Wednesday (no mask if vaccinated, which everyone was, and windows open in the room), and my bunco group last night.

Taking DH to get his Moderna booster this afternoon after yoga (still on ZOOM).

This week has been the first to feel "normalish" in 18 months. Went to community choir rehearsal on Monday night (vaccination and mask required), church choir rehearsal on Wednesday (no mask if vaccinated, which everyone was, and windows open in the room), and my bunco group last night.

Taking DH to get his Moderna booster this afternoon after yoga (still on ZOOM).

On Wednesday night, I went to church choir rehearsal for the first time since March 2020. Everyone was vaccinated and we have some special mask supposedly designed specifically for choirs. It was so good to be making music together again. I'm really looking forward to going to church again on Sunday morning (again, for the first time since March 2020).

We've had streamed services, and the choir did try a few anthems where we all sang our parts at home alone (to piano accompaniment) and then the choir director blended all the individual parts and streamed that with the service. But that is a lot of work for the choir director, and, while better than nothing, it still doesn't sound right. It is also very difficult for me to sing alone when I don't have the melody. I don't need to hear my fellow tenors, but I often do need to hear the other voice parts.

This morning DH and I replaced the kitchen faucet. I was in charge of reading the instructions/ directing the installation, doing any of the work behind the sink where DH’s big hands don’t fit, and going up and down the stairs to turn the water off and on. DH was in charge of replacing the shut-off valves under the sink and making any plumbing connections he could reach.

(As an aside, I hope that whoever invented Shark Bite plumbing parts is enjoying a well-compensated FIRE. I never learned to sweat copper pipes & fixtures, and DH can do it but it’s not easy for him. Today he cut off the old sweated valves and replaced with Shark Bite valves and it looked so easy that I think I could do it. No leaks on the first try, no danger of scorching the cabinet, no swear words!)

Of course since I had the under sink cabinet emptied out, it got a scrubbing and I reorganized the contents.

Today is cleaning and organizing the freezer, laundry, housework.
Also finally have a few cool but sunny days, so patio furniture is drying out before we cover it for the winter.

This morning DH and I replaced the kitchen faucet. I was in charge of reading the instructions/ directing the installation, doing any of the work behind the sink where DH’s big hands don’t fit, and going up and down the stairs to turn the water off and on. DH was in charge of replacing the shut-off valves under the sink and making any plumbing connections he could reach.

(As an aside, I hope that whoever invented Shark Bite plumbing parts is enjoying a well-compensated FIRE. I never learned to sweat copper pipes & fixtures, and DH can do it but it’s not easy for him. Today he cut off the old sweated valves and replaced with Shark Bite valves and it looked so easy that I think I could do it. No leaks on the first try, no danger of scorching the cabinet, no swear words!)

Of course since I had the under sink cabinet emptied out, it got a scrubbing and I reorganized the contents.

Nice job!! :cool:

I had a pleasant and productive visit from a Spectrum tech support man (really!). He addressed a few things that were causing intermittent service lately and explained a few “Cable Guy” details that I didn’t know.

I also set up a new Brother laser printer that replaces an old HP inkjet that has done its death dance.

I built two small wall cabinets today, finished one Shaker style panel door and started another. Learning to use a new router table, and soon, a dovetail joiner! IMG_9047.JPG

Last edited:
Pulled the sailboat off the big lake onto the hard for the season. Then swapped out storm windows, which took longer than planned. A nice dinner and a few drinks, followed by a sauna, eased my woes.

Today was the first day the rehab facility allowed visitors that were not direct family to visit my best friend who had a bad stroke 12 days ago. I went to see him and we talked for an hour or so. Strokes are a bad deal. He is totally paralyzed on the right side and blind in one eye.

In 9 days he will be sent home, only to go to PT at an outpatient facility somewhere in the area. I volunteered to take him there when he needs to go if his kids can't do it (they all work). He is 85 and I don't know what the probability is for him to make a "good" recovery. But I doubt we will be resuming our weekly golf match.

Since he was "taking care" of his handicapped wife for several years, the family is trying to get her placed into an assisted living facility, against her will, of course. If my friend has to go into the same, the kids will have to sell their house. No one planned for this happening to him, and that's something to think about.

I just turned 78, and I've seen enough of this stuff to last a lifetime already. My wife is handicapped and on O2 100% of the time, and not very mobile. Good thing I am still healthy.

Now to watch the Texans get their @ss handed to them by the Rams this afternoon. Please don't mention the Astros....:blush:

aja bless you for offering to help, this family is in a tough spot.It's not easy as we age to see people we care about struggle with health issues because it feels very close to home.

My SIL (DB's wife) and I had an OK relationship sometimes a little bumpy but OK. SIL got lung cancer 4 years ago and after surgery got the all clear. A very dear family friend got lung cancer and fared much worse. MY SIL was her shadow and would go to her appointments with her and take her chemo and more. I'm now in awe of my SIL because I can't imagine how hard it was, since a cancer reappearance must always be in the back of SIL's mind.

Your friend and his family are lucky to have you.

aja bless you for offering to help, this family is in a tough spot.It's not easy as we age to see people we care about struggle with health issues because it feels very close to home.

My SIL (DB's wife) and I had an OK relationship sometimes a little bumpy but OK. SIL got lung cancer 4 years ago and after surgery got the all clear. A very dear family friend got lung cancer and fared much worse. MY SIL was her shadow and would go to her appointments with her and take her chemo and more. I'm now in awe of my SIL because I can't imagine how hard it was, since a cancer reappearance must always be in the back of SIL's mind.

Your friend and his family are lucky to have you.

Thanks, this has been a real eye opener for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8250.jpg
    IMG_8250.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Spent an hour and a half too long discussing the labor shortage coupled with the supply chain shortage creating a lack of accountability and decrease to morale for the employees that did show up at the wal-mart auto service center today. For the first time ever they are on appointment only basis. They said one guy was fired recently due to incompetencies one was transferred to the sales floor due to incompetencies, one transferred to a new store because he got sick of the extra duties and the guy who ACTUALLY serviced the vehicles didn't show up until 9:12 am despite me being scheduled a solid week in advance for the first 9am apt of the day.

Then proceeded to talk to all the customers lined up begging to sneak around the appointment only mod of ops...about the labor shortage, supply chain issues and lack of accountability as I waited another hour for Tardy Tommy to actually change the oil. It really frustrated me but I tried to practice patience. Then came the bill. $45 for an oil change. That floored me a little bit but the cost of oil and filter would have been $34 after tax, plus my time to dispose. I can do an oil change myself in roughly 15 minutes but its been about 10 yrs and I am still willing to pay for it..just not wait that long for it.

While painfully waiting I learned I could take care of my mole problem by hooking up a castor oil mix directly into my irrigation system. I learned that the guys hauling around small loads from across country really like their Ram Long Horns, and that paint is in a very short supply because of the big plants in TX freezing last year and then the power grid issues causing a major jam up with big paint companies. I could have just sat there fuming after I picked up and paid for my 2-cycle and diced jalapenos, but what's the fun in that. Instead I engaged with friendly banter to the customers.

Then I proceeded to watch the guy that showed up late get fired. Yeah. Apparently he had a couple no call no shows and today was the first day he decided to show up for his shift. As soon as he made it in, albeit 12 minutes late, the store manager had another tech with to fill his spot after she fired him. What a morning. The rest of the day, blew some leaves, took the kiddos to the park, put a bunch of the kids "summer' toys up in the attic, attended a neighborhood halloween party, and took the kids trick-or-treating. I also spent some time contemplating if I would buy TSLA tomorrow and discovered they had just cancelled their self-driving contract... so I am again back on the fence about that one. I suspect TSLA moves lower tomorrow so I will be ready for that buy opportunity. Interesting day as always.

Booked a trip to go see DS, DIL and my grand-babies (twins) for Christmas. Put another coat of paint on a little side table I am painting. Went and picked up another little side table that I got used for $20. It goes nicely with my living room furniture, and will replace a bigger one I have. I will probably re-finish the bigger one and sell it.

Then I picked up an ice cap and some Timbits and drove to a park with a man made lake and enjoyed some nice scenery.

Yesterday I had to shovel snow for the first time this year. Blah!

Just explored ancient Phillipi! Friday it was Ephesus. 😃

Ephesus was fantastic. When we were there we were allowed into the amphitheater. Imagine, this was where St. Paul preached to the Ephesians.
There were two musicians playing, one on guitar and one on pan flute. One hymn they played was "How Great Thou Art", which DW's grandmother used to sing to her. It was very moving.

Attachments

• Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom