What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
DS and DGS spent the night with Grandpa and Grandma. This morning, DGS and Grandpa are watching his favorite-- Home Alone movies. He's at the age (6) where he loves the silliness of the "tricks" played on the crooks. He plays those parts over and over!
Ahh, Christmas in August here! :)
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Went out to the boat and installed the 4 channel mains amp and the subwoofer amp. Got them up and out of the way, but not so far as I can't see the controls. But the doors work properly now, the head unit is now on the dash and not behind the door where closing the door turns it on and off...

Yeah, fixing stuff the previous owner didn't have a "firm grasp" on. You really have to wonder about some people after you see what they have done.
Robbie, I can sympathize with you. I helped my cousin rebuild a 1947 Stinson that had 13 owners. It was a nightmare. One owner had installed appliance style rocker switches and just soldered wires to them. I ended up ripping out every wire in the plane. I replaced the wiring with Mil Spec aircraft wire, crimp lugs and cable ties.

We were out running a few errands late morning, and after the last one, DW says she'd like ice cream for lunch (note that many foods don't sound good since she is currently doing chemo and has the metal mouth taste, and any time something sounds good and she wants it, she gets it). We're near a place that's been around for about 3 years, opened up just in time for COVID, but we'd never been to. So, today we stopped in. She buys a cup, and we head on home as she eats it. At first, she told me that it came from Wisconsin (few states from us). Then, she starts laughing, and proceeds to read me the "Nutritional Information" on the side of the cup.

FWIW - The name of the ice cream is Chocolate Shoppe. Our local place has a different name but that's all they sell.

Nutritional Information
This is the best ice cream made in Wisconsin, and it tastes so good because it has gobs of rich Wisconsin cream, tons of real ingredients for boat-loads of luscious flavors. That means it's not low-fat, low-calorie or low-anything, and that's why everyone loves it. You want nutrition, eat carrots.

:)

I agree. I don't or buy or eat a lot of ice cream but when I do it's Hagen Daz or Ben & Jerry. Yeah, lot's of fat and flavor!

The young wife and I got vaccinated against hepatitis in anticipation of our upcoming trip to Egypt.

Took the dog on a four mile hike.
Played pickle ball for three hours.
Ate two wife-baked warm chocolate chip cookies after lunch.

Taking one nap in a very comfortable chair.

I spent a couple of hours wrestling with the History Channel app, but finally threw in the towel.

We spent the day at the National Railway Museum in York. There's nothing remotely like it in the US, because the railroad industry is nothing like that in the UK. It was delightful for anyone and great for a train buff like me.

Watched all the documentary stuff on DVD 2 of A Passage To India. Now having an iced coffee at an outdoor café. Wondering if I'll get yelled at for starting another Wellington/Wellesley thread.

We spent the day at the National Railway Museum in York. There's nothing remotely like it in the US, because the railroad industry is nothing like that in the UK. It was delightful for anyone and great for a train buff like me.

Do not forget to visit the York Minster

We were out running a few errands late morning, and after the last one, DW says she'd like ice cream for lunch (note that many foods don't sound good since she is currently doing chemo and has the metal mouth taste, and any time something sounds good and she wants it, she gets it). We're near a place that's been around for about 3 years, opened up just in time for COVID, but we'd never been to. So, today we stopped in. She buys a cup, and we head on home as she eats it. At first, she told me that it came from Wisconsin (few states from us). Then, she starts laughing, and proceeds to read me the "Nutritional Information" on the side of the cup.

FWIW - The name of the ice cream is Chocolate Shoppe. Our local place has a different name but that's all they sell.

Nutritional Information
This is the best ice cream made in Wisconsin, and it tastes so good because it has gobs of rich Wisconsin cream, tons of real ingredients for boat-loads of luscious flavors. That means it's not low-fat, low-calorie or low-anything, and that's why everyone loves it. You want nutrition, eat carrots.

:)

:LOL:

Went out to the boat and sprayed all the dust off of it with my new cheap Harbor Freight pressure washer.

Worked great! Out here in the Delta, we have roofs over our boats so they don't get wet, but you are always just over the levee from a commercial ag operation, so they get a lot of dust. The $80 wonder did a nice job and was pretty easy to use.

Tomorrow we go on a little boat ride down to Port of Stockton. Wifey would not like a dirty boat - :)

I volunteered for two hours this afternoon at the local food bank’s warehouse. Spent the shift sorting and bagging red onions. It took me almost a year after I retired to volunteer, but it was nice to feel a bit productive and like I was giving something back. After I got home I signed up for another shift next month.

I volunteered for two hours this afternoon at the local food bank’s warehouse. Spent the shift sorting and bagging red onions. It took me almost a year after I retired to volunteer, but it was nice to feel a bit productive and like I was giving something back. After I got home I signed up for another shift next month.

That is awesome you volunteer! Without volunteers the US would be in a bad place.

I do my share also and feels good to give back behind the scenes which someone has to do. It can be a very humbling time and giving back is a great wat to stay positive.

Do not forget to visit the York Minster

We walked all around it, but the queue was a bit much to get inside. It has lovely gargoyles.
PXL_20220821_165244961.jpg

Got the second dose of the shingles vacc, picked up some Huevos Mexicanos for brunch and then wifey and I took the boat out to Port of Stockton and back.

DH has Dr appt later today, then menu planning and grocery shopping.

We had our last breakfast at the Falcon Manor and headed back to Crewe. I took these from the gardens. It does a big wedding business and I could see using that lawn and those steps for photos.
PXL-20220825-094031517.jpg

PXL-20220825-093952913.jpg

PXL-20220823-140635675.jpg

I made and canned 6 quarter pint jars of tomato jam using Principe Borghese tomatoes, basil and Walla Walla onion from my garden. Also, I just discovered that some of my figs have ripened, so we are having them as an appetizer with dinner.

Went to a seminar on estate planning today, came home & rewrote my estate instructions. Frankly I'm boring. All accounts, insurance, and pension have POD /TODs in place. House is already in a trust. Everything else is well under California Small Estate Affidavit limit. Honestly it's valued under 50k. But it still took about an hour to figure out how much I have loaned out to DS & DD (I only count 5 & 6 digit loans) and how much they have repaid (less 50k loan to DS & xDIL that was forgiven by divorce proceedings). Surprisingly the kids are within 9k of each other. Amazingly close. Now to print it off and have everyone (DS, DD, me) sign it

Last edited:
I cut wood and formica to replace the rotted out lid on the storage compartment on the boat. Somewhat more than just a box though, inside are the exhaust blower for the aft bath and also the vent for the refrigerator. All with hooded vents near the deck.

Lots going on there so I'm doing a good job. Three quarter inch plywood with high pressure laminate on top, gloss white enamel everywhere else and aluminum angle on the grab side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom