What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

it was a little after 4 so I elected to make the 6 hour run home rather than spend another night away.
it had been blowing with whitecaps on the lake earlier, but it was glassy when I left.
PXL-20240421-001427326.jpg

I had to stop and capture this face in Hunters, WA. You don't often see an old Reo.
PXL-20240421-003436931.jpg

I drove out the usual way past Dry Falls and down that channel to Soap Lake.
The daisies are just nuts this time of year.
PXL-20240421-021226854.jpg

We talked about this area in that other thread, and this is an example of the massive going's on for the 2000 years and 40 floods that passed through here and gouged this channel out of solid rock. It truly is a must see.
PXL-20240421-021232622.jpg

Last edited:
Today DW and I toured the house in which I grew up, and which I left over 47 years ago. Interestingly, although some things had been changed "cosmetically" and some remodeling had been done, the layout and room sizes were essentially the same. It was very interesting, and now I know.

We hiked the foothills trail Tuesday, out to the ghost town sites of Melmont and Fairfax.
The hike starts at the Fairfax Bridge over the Carbon River gorge.
PXL_20240423_182031971.jpg
You park across the bridge and cross over, and then down this steep scramble using the cable with handles. The trail is 40' below the bridge.
PXL_20240423_182332557.jpg

PXL_20240423_182539830.jpg

The trail starts out broad and smooth, it looks like a railroad grade to me.

PXL_20240423_182941528.jpg

First up is this big stone wall. Looks like this from the top.
PXL_20240423_183025149.jpg

Get down below and it becomes a building site, at least the back side of it. Big beam sockets in the wall. The front wall was probably all timber.
PXL_20240423_183258922.jpg

It won't be standing too long.
PXL_20240423_183423051.jpg

Then this rock house near the trail.
PXL_20240423_184043360.jpg

Most of the evidence at the townsite is iron. Old stoves etc. Piles of bolts. Nature has recovered in large part.
We got down to the river and found some old bent up small gauge rails. This is the soundtrack for the whole hike.

The geology is pretty interesting. Note this tight sandstone, some geologist will have the right name.
PXL_20240423_191330553.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I've not seen a surfacing coal seam on a hike either. It was about a foot thick. I wonder if it is the result of volcanic activity trapping the organic layer and cooking it in more recent times, rather than traditional ancient coals.
PXL_20240423_213257457.jpg

We were on a river fed straight from the Carbon Glacier on Mount Rainier.
598578934745283831.jpg.jpeg

Trillium ovatum

PXL_20240423_215421347.jpg

Last edited:
More nice pics. (y)

I spent half the day on my house projects, and the other half going to Lowes then driving the 45 miles home slowly with three 2" x12" x 10' deck board strapped on top my little Kia Soul. Did not weigh the boards but suspect I was pushing the envelope on carrying capacity of the roof rails. Got home fine.

First round of golf this season. Pretty cold this morning but the sun was shining and there was not wind so it warmed up pretty quickly. Pretty happy with my golf (score) for it being the first round of the year. Drives were straight but the short game needs work.

<Warning!: Boomer rant incoming...>

Needed to get a blood draw for annual wellness visit so after that I went across the street to a Lund's/Byerly's grocery store (upscale stores here in Mpls./St. Paul) to get some pastries for DW and me. Figured I'd get a Caribou coffee as long as I was there since there was a Caribou kiosk inside the store.

I usually get my pastries at Cub Foods "award winning bakery". I usually get an apple fritter and a blueberry muffin, $1.49 each. At Lund's/Byerly's the apple fritter was smaller than Cub's and cost $2.99, or 100% more. I guess I'm cheap because I couldn't bring myself to pay double for something that was smaller than usual. Plus, they didn't have any muffins. Oh, well, I'll get my coffee than head over to Cub for the pastries.

"I'll take a medium Caribou blend decaf," I said to the pierced and tatted young woman behind the counter.

"I'm sorry, but we don't have any decaf ready right now. I can have some for you in 3-4 minutes."

I left and went to Cub, whereupon I discovered they didn't have any apple fritters. Instead, I got two blueberry muffins then headed across the street to a standalone Caribou coffeeshop. The pierced and tatted young woman behind the counter took my order and informed me she only had enough decaf to fill one-half of my cup, but she could make more which would be ready in 3-4 minutes. <Sigh>

"OK, I'll wait."

"That'll be $3.26."

(really?!! $3.26 for a cup of coffee?!)

Four minutes later I'm leaving. I get in my truck and while I'm waiting at the stop light I decide to try my luxuriously expensive name brand coffee and find that it's lukewarm. Arrrggghhh!!

Wet, rainy day and weekend ahead. Plan to go to the local nursery to get my flower starts for spring and summer, I usually get things planted by early May as occasionally we get a late April frost.
Later this afternoon, will go pick up DGS from school and watch until Dad gets home from work.

Motorcycle ride with an old friend and his son. Cold and sometimes a bit wet but a fun ride anyway. I blame the company. Thanks to Joe Rocket for the warm suit and heated gloves.

Back
Top Bottom