What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

DGS, age 7, and DS arrived unexpectedly for lunch. DGS had a kids basketball game nearby.
Luckily, we had just bought some deli Turkey--his favorite for a sandwich!

Sigh. It was too good to last. I moved the snow blower back from the shed to the garage in anticipation of the whole inch of snow we're forecast for tomorrow night into Monday. DW has also given up and says leave it there until the end of March.

It fits okay in the garage but it makes it a bit awkward for someone to get into the front passenger seat on the car. I guess we'll just live with it until then. My back issues make it painful for me to shovel even ridiculously tiny amounts of snow, but the 245 lb. self-propelled snow blower with a differential on the axle causes no issue at all. Go figure.

Am living dangerously, my snow blower is still in the shed.
Was at favorite coffe shop, a young fellow (member of the usual suspects club) talked about reading of the early moon landing, way back when. Marveled at the the miniscule computer processing power and memory of the moon lander. Comapring it to the even cheapest portable phones.
He never heard of assembly language, in which the programs were written.
Yep, those were the days......

DH and I went to a cooking class that DS and DD-in-law gave us gift certificates to for Christmas. There were two other couples and the owner. We had a lot of fun and plenty of food to eat. It turned out that the owner was same age as me and was retired 20 years from the Air Force. His DW retired after 22 years as a Colonel, but he said that she did not want any part of his company. We actually did the cooking class last night.

I called DD and asked her if we could have our 3 grandkids for a sleepover tonight, so they will be coming over shortly.

Took the bin where we collect papers to the shredder today. There’s a local company that handles document destruction that has a shred day on the first Saturday of every month. It cost $7 for up to 300 pounds. The money is a donation to their charity. I don’t know what 300 pounds of paper looks like, but I fill a bin throughout the year and it’s about all I can do to lift it so it’s probably about 75 pounds. There’s been years where we took more than one bin, but now we’re pretty well cleaned out (up to date) on our paperwork. There are free shred days around here, but I like this one because it’s right at the warehouse and they’ll let you watch it being thrown into the shredder. I don’t do that any more, but it was fun to watch the first couple of times.

Then my DD called and asked me to dog sit while her and the grandkids went shopping. They had some stuff to return that didn’t workout for Christmas. Her dog is a good dog so I don’t mind, though I’d have rather been watching the grandkids - especially the youngest one. She’s a hoot.

Today I replaced (upgraded) the kitchen faucet. DH used to do all of this kind of chore, but due to age he has trouble getting under the sink. I’m younger and still nimble enough to wiggle in there. So far no leaks…

Took REWahoo’s advice and got 4 new tires for DW’s car.

Business is great for the tire shop, while I waited for them to mount the tires they turned away a dozen people without appointments.

Spent the day cutting, drilling, sanding, finishing and generally ruining perfectly good pieces of wood. Now I have a small and simple workbench in the garage. Now on to making small stairs for the old cat to use.

Cheers!

Spent the day cutting, drilling, sanding, finishing and generally ruining perfectly good pieces of wood. Now I have a small and simple workbench in the garage. Now on to making small stairs for the old cat to use.

Cheers!

Excellent way to spend the day! But this is just the beginning.

Expecting the whole extended family today for belated Christmas--if all arrive as planned, will have 27 here this afternoon.

I had a nice chat with the Nespresso rep today. I ordered some coffee and they sent the order twice by mistake. I contacted them to let them know and arrange a return and they invited me to keep the second shipment. Not a bad day ..

I've been close friends with a guy I met during my time in Vietnam 50 years ago. Haven't been together since before the pandemic, so I thought it was time for a little trip to visit him. He's a widower and lives alone, with a lot of physical issues that make it very hard for him to travel. He's also older than me (in his 80s).

We thoroughly enjoyed spending some time with each other, but it was so very sad to see him declining since our last meeting. We went out to dinner, and he insisted on getting the check but had a lot of trouble figuring out how to add the tip. Got it wrong three times, crossing out the total repeatedly, and finally handed it to me so I could write in the correct amount.

He has two kids who are financially sound and very close to him (although not living nearby) so they will take care of him as needed. I just had a tough time seeing my extremely bright friend, a wonderful human being, brought down so low.

Make the most of your time; it's all we have.

^^^ Yes, I am planning my next travel in earnest. No guarantee any of us even makes it to 80.

I drove up to my high- country boondocks home today to check on it. My wife just grabbed some food from the fridge and off we went. No need to even bring toothbrushes. :)

The road has been cleared of snow. At the home, snow has melted. I checked the heat tape that protects the underground water meter and the shut-off valve. It drew power, and did its job. But I knew it already.

Been working at the rock quarry this week. Constant rainstorms on top of last Summers fire ravaged forests are driving a huge demand for large rock to stabilize soggy hillsides and levees. Quarry is open 24-7 now because of all the emergency jobs in the area.

We need the rainfall and snow pack, but don’t need it all at once!

Just a comment and observation from reading this thread on a regular basis. What an amazing thing to be free to enjoy and do the things that are important to us on our schedule.

Some amazing time spent from the people here, always enjoy reading about your days!

Late morning, I decided to go and try out my new pair of legs. The snow dog worked great and exactly perfect for what I need it for. Got to cabin and had lunch there still have to walk about 200 yards because of the canyon where it is located at. Started out a foggy day especially here along the river but turned into a beautiful winter day.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 58
Late morning, I decided to go and try out my new pair of legs. The snow dog worked great and exactly perfect for what I need it for. Got to cabin and had lunch there still have to walk about 200 yards because of the canyon where it is located at. Started out a foggy day especially here along the river but turned into a beautiful winter day.

Street, that thing looks like it was built to belong there!:cool:

A successful maiden voyage!

Morning Figure skating. Usual coffe shop hangout. Later had favorite shop do oil & filter change, tire rotation, balanced front two, reset TPMS, oil life monitor, check transfer case, diff's oil level, of Pickup truck.

Reseeded the lawn now that we're getting rain again in SoCal.

Was planning on repainting our rusty gate. We painted it with Rustoleum Hammered Bronze. Bought quarts from Amazon a few years ago @ $15 a quart. Today, $35 a quart. Checked Home Depot, "Not Available in California". WTF? Will have to figure out where I can find it, or if it's just a temporary thing.

A successful maiden voyage!

Lol! Yes, it was. I been waiting for a side X side snow plowing picture. Have you had a chance to move snow yet?

Reseeded the lawn now that we're getting rain again in SoCal.

Was planning on repainting our rusty gate. We painted it with Rustoleum Hammered Bronze. Bought quarts from Amazon a few years ago @ $15 a quart. Today, $35 a quart. Checked Home Depot, "Not Available in California". WTF? Will have to figure out where I can find it, or if it's just a temporary thing.

Walmart carries it but it's $45 there. You may be best going with Amazon.

Spent the morning prepping tomorrow’s dinner to take to DD’s house. I made ham&bean soup and snickerdoodle cake; the bread dough is proofing (and will be turned into cheddar bread).

We are going tomorrow for a status check on the new house build, followed by a visit with DD, DSIL, and the best little boy in the world (aka as our grandson). Within the next few weeks we expect to welcome our second grandson; and also another grandchild from our other daughter. We wanted to be sure to get this last visit with DGS before he has to share the attention.

I’m off to the gym while the dough proofs.

Spent the morning prepping tomorrow’s dinner to take to DD’s house. I made ham&bean soup and snickerdoodle cake; the bread dough is proofing (and will be turned into cheddar bread).

We are going tomorrow for a status check on the new house build, followed by a visit with DD, DSIL, and the best little boy in the world (aka as our grandson). Within the next few weeks we expect to welcome our second grandson; and also another grandchild from our other daughter. We wanted to be sure to get this last visit with DGS before he has to share the attention.

I’m off to the gym while the dough proofs.

LOL!! How exciting is that!! We are experiencing the same pleasure and gift of a baby granddaughter in the next ~3 weeks or sooner. I feel your happiness and looking forward to the new life in your life.

Having a busy day as I will be doing occasional vocational testing so had a meeting and got the keys to the office. Now I am getting new tires and then have a few other errands. Hoping to get a walk in before my friends come for dinner and games.

Back
Top Bottom