What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

I put a pot of ham and beans in the crockpot this morning--last of the Thanksgiving ham.
The house smells pretty darn good already!

DW wanted me to drive her to a Dr. appointment because of the forecast snow, which just barely happened, but was more rain than snow. There wasn't enough to even bother with a broom, let alone put the truck in 4WD. Then a minor grocery run and home.

A couple of days ago, they delivered our new induction range and fridge. Sadly, the fridge is too tall, and we need to get someone to try to remove 1.5 inches from a board above it. They just delivered the range until we can get someone or find a shorter fridge. Supposedly, there's a guy coming out today to trim it, but that was supposed to happen yesterday.

Yesterday, I tried out the induction stove top making chicken soup. Awesome! I'm glad we made the change; it's as fast as gas, and I don't think I can blow up the house with it.

I love our induction stove. DH is no longer afraid of cooking (don’t ask!)

Stayed home today because weather was supposed to be a mix and it was. We had all four season in one day. Woke up with temps in 20's very cloudy. Then the snow blizzard for about 4 hours couldn't see your hand in front of your face. The winds were strong and steady. Then a rainstorm pored cats and dogs and was 46 degrees. Now late afternoon and the sun is out and not a cloud in the sky. All the new snow we got is just about gone and water standing everywhere. Lol

Not unusual but rain here in the north is never a bad thing in the wintah. This time things worked out but sometimes rain this time of year is devastating.

Last edited:
I woke up too early and had some good coffee time. I did an hour of on line yoga.

DH and I met our son and DIL for lunch which was very fun. I efiled our taxes, did a little work and now we are sitting here watching The Office reruns. Not sure what we will do for dinner.

Beautiful, breezy, high 60's, clear blue sky day here. Our 9 mile rolling hills hike with friends was just gorgeous due to both the weather and our recent series of rainstorms. Green everywhere we looked, with some wildflowers beginning to appear. We were only at 1000 feet elevation, but we could see clearly the ocean to our west and the snow capped mountains to our east. The first is a given, but the second is not, so that was a nice treat.

Afterward we all got burritos, ate, and solved the worlds problems.

Home to do some light gardening, reheated a casserole for dinner, then made it half way through a documentary before we both started falling asleep, so stopped the doc and headed to bed. Good day.

The young wife and I went to the animal shelter and came home with two new cats. We'd been without feline companionship since early October, and the house just didn't feel right that way.

Love this!

This morning we welcomed a new grandchild to the family, but not the one we expected this week. The grandson born this morning wasn't due until 2/8 but he had other plans. Mom & baby are doing fine. We will go meet him and give attention to his brother on Saturday.

The other grandchild is due Saturday. Hopefully he/she comes in time for us to meet before we head to Florida for a month.

Congratulations! I think that grandchildren are the best.

A day late--
Yesterday was "Grandparents Day" at DGS school. It was so fun to be able to go and see how he spends his day and meet visit his teacher. There was a program in the beginning and all classes K-5 either sang songs, read poems or played instruments.

Then we brought DGS home and he helped me make dinner for his Dad after work. He wanted to do some jobs to earn money for a new Mario video game, so Grandma gave him some jobs. He is a good worker and now I don't need to dust my pictures, table tops, or doorway moldings! He also did some money math and counted out Grandpas change jar.
They stayed and visited until close to bedtime.

Bought my Senior Lifetime National Parks Pass while at Padre Island National Seashore. Spent the day walking on the beach with DW and the dog.

Shoveled some snow. It wasn't bad, but I should have got to it yesterday because the under layer melted a bit and froze overnight. Thankfully, I shoveled the top layer off and the bit of sun we had today got rid of the thin ice layer that I couldn't shovel. Then, as if that wasn't enough fun, I started my taxes. I got pretty far, but two of the brokerage statements I want to enter by downloading them are not ready yet. Either way, I was able to tell that my year end estimate is holding and I will not have any underpayment penalty. It looks like a very small refund that I will just roll forward to next year. Perfect.

Yesterday we met our newborn grandson. DH isn’t comfortable holding a newborn so I got all of the cuddle time. It worked out well; we spent the morning giving all of our attention to his 2yr old brother and cuddled baby while big brother napped.

We just got word this morning that DD2 is on her way to the hospital to deliver her first baby. It’s kind of funny, because a few days ago when DD was expressing her impatience I told her that the baby would be born today during the Eagles game. (DD and DSIL are big Eagles fans).

Philliefan33--what a perfect day for you!

We had a nice dinner out last evening with some friends. Lots of laughter and too much food--still feel full this morning!
Today will be spent with DGS, age 3. Fun age.

Mountain bike race today. Had a mechanical issue with my vintage bike (wouldn’t shift properly) and a finish at 5th place. Might have improved a couple places but wouldn’t have made better than 3rd anyway today. Couple of strong 20-something guys showed up and sandbagged in our class so no way I was going to get anything better than 3rd even if I could shift when needed.

I really “need” to BTD and upgrade to a modern carbon fiber bike with carbon fiber wheels, electronic shifting and modern gearing!

A very windy day. So I stayed in and watched the sea go white. And a few ships go by. No pleasure boats today! Later I shared dinner with a couple of friends. After they left I did some online banking - and I'm still on the computer. I can still hear the wind howling outside my office.

Went with DW over to SIL's house to see them and DW's niece and her three kids, ages 8, 6, and 18 months. Nice relaxing Sunday afternoon. Well, as much as one can relax with three active kids in the house on a cold rainy afternoon. But it was still a good day.

Yesterday we met our newborn grandson. DH isn’t comfortable holding a newborn so I got all of the cuddle time. It worked out well; we spent the morning giving all of our attention to his 2yr old brother and cuddled baby while big brother napped.

We just got word this morning that DD2 is on her way to the hospital to deliver her first baby. It’s kind of funny, because a few days ago when DD was expressing her impatience I told her that the baby would be born today during the Eagles game. (DD and DSIL are big Eagles fans).

WOW!!! So exciting and can't imagine the feeling meeting for the first time. Very happy for the both of you!!

In the next three weeks I will experience that same feeling. We have our first grandchild coming. It will be a girl and am excited as all get out!!! Lol

How very exciting! Congratulations on the new arrivals!

It was 50 degrees and sunny this afternoon, so the young wife and I went out for a walk. We saw a pair of bald eagles in the tree across the street from our house. I don't know if they were nest shopping or not. It would be a good spot for it, but there are several other possible locations in the immediate area of the harbor. I would be happy if they did stay there, so that we could just sit on our porch and watch them.

Finished up the income tax when the last 1099 came in today's mail. I'll probably still wait a week or two before filing just to make sure I didn't forget anything. This may set a new record for me being done so soon with it.

What I did today (wild, maniacal laugh)

Sorry if TMI - - Last night, post-nasal drip/phlegm from my sinuses was nearly smothering me and I could hardly breathe for all the coughing this caused. So, I was trying to pour myself a cup of water to wash all that junk away before things got worse. In the middle of pouring it, I got a huge coughing fit and hit my wrist on something, and ended up pouring a QUART of water directly into the keyboard of my high end Dell laptop computer. :banghead:

:mad:

Apparently the laptop no longer can be controlled directly by a keyboard or mouse, and who knows what other damage occurred. I wiped up a cup or two of water that dripped out of the keys and various ports when I put it on its side. Finally Frank got it somewhat dried out using his inborn male techie skills and electric heat gun or something (who knows what, my mind is as fried as my laptop right now). Then, with the use of an external keyboard and mouse, I managed to do one last backup onto an external hard drive.

Luckily I had a spare laptop that I bought for Frank to use when he is over here. I had never used it at all before, and he didn't have anything on it that he needs. So, after determining that, I have been configuring it to my preferences (i can buy another one as soon as I can think straight, which means not at this exact moment :LOL: ).

BTW anybody who steals a laptop in 2023 is a bleeping fool, because without a bazillion unique usernames and strong passwords, and two factor authentication, and infinite time and patience, said stolen laptop is essentially a six ton boulder and useless.

At least I am finally back on the internet and can log in to a few of my favorite sites. :greetings10:

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Hope that your sinuses clear and glad that you are back online.

social pace?

Went on a bike ride run out of our local bike shop. Pace was advertised as “social”, meaning something in the 17-19 mph range.

Wow I thought a social pace ride was like 10-12 mph. Maybe ride 10 miles and go out to lunch kind of ride. That's what I am looking for.

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Hope that your sinuses clear and glad that you are back online.

Thanks! It's 75F outside, with 80% humidity and more rain predicted; everything is blooming so my sinuses are still bugging me.

I am glad to be back online, too. This morning I managed to download and print some tax forms (1099s and so on) that I will need for doing my taxes, so that was a big relief to me, as well.

Edited to add: Got a new 17" Dell laptop ordered so I must be feeling better. It really helped to vent a bit; thanks, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom