What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

This doesn’t really count for this 2023 thread but it occurred to me that on January 4th, 1974 two big things happened for me:

1. I finally got the braces removed from my teeth, and

2. I went with a group of friends to see Bob Dylan and The Band at Chicago Stadium. That tour was later documented in the album Before The Flood.

Great day in my book!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan_and_the_Band_1974_Tour

Celebrated my 6th year anniversary of retiring at age 54. Part of me can't believe it has been that long, but when I think of all of the things and adventures I have done, yeah. What a ride it has been, never been busier. No stopping now.......

Heading over to pick up DGS, age 3, to spend the day with "Papa" and "Gamma"
Love that little guy

AM dentist appointment for routine checkup, then scheduled a follow-up for a broken filling to get fixed next month. Other than that, nothing new found.

Went to the gym, then stopped at an independent hardware store for a couple of items. Will wash up and get out of workout clothes in a few minutes.

Had to shovel snow again. Cleaned up outside my home and my mothers. But it's still snowing. So I guess I have plans for tomorrow. Most days are free of plans in my ER but I think I can handle it.

Further south in Europe they have no snow in the famous ski locations but that is not a problem here in Norway.

Yesterday one tire on DW’s car went flat. It had a piece of blade from a utility knife sticking out, so I was hopeful it could be repaired. A local tire shop looked and found a nice long tear in the tread not near where the blade was found, so no repair. 5 year old tires on an AWD car mean replacing all 4 tires is the suggested option even though the other tires have a fair amount of tread. Unfortunately, Costco has only two tires available and the wait is 7-10 days, so it’s off to one of the local tire shops.

Yesterday one tire on DW’s car went flat. It had a piece of blade from a utility knife sticking out, so I was hopeful it could be repaired. A local tire shop looked and found a nice long tear in the tread not near where the blade was found, so no repair. 5 year old tires on an AWD car mean replacing all 4 tires is the suggested option even though the other tires have a fair amount of tread. Unfortunately, Costco has only two tires available and the wait is 7-10 days, so it’s off to one of the local tire shops.

Sounds like that flat might have saved you from a blowout down the road. And at five years it's about time to consider replacing them regardless of tread/mileage/condition. My experience is no matter the brand, they all turn into "Maypops" by age six.

Last edited:
Sounds like that flat might have saved you from a blowout down the road. And at five years it's about time to consider replacing them regardless of tread/mileage/condition. My experience is no matter the brand, they all turn into "Maypops" by age six.

I agree, and we’ll replace all 4.

One good thing that came out of this is I discovered the spare was completely flat. Definitely not something I want to discover when replacing another flat tire.

I spent the day at the ranch doing odd and ends. A very frost foggy day and was a beautiful walk in. It's a full day by the time I get in and back out before dark. The turkey and pheasants coming in and feed in the hay that I put out for them in very cold times. They don't mind me being there and always enjoy their company.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 51
After 3 days finally got power back. Then today had an appointment and because our snow removal company never showed in the past 6 days had to be towed out of the 4” ice rink known as our parking lot. I am staying on the street until it’s taken care of. Then came home to a leak in the hallway. I am on the board so called the management company to help. This year is not starting out great.

Did a little paperwork at the office and then went to my brothers to play cards, and had a great dinner at a hummus bar in Seattle.

After 3 days finally got power back. Then today had an appointment and because our snow removal company never showed in the past 6 days had to be towed out of the 4” ice rink known as our parking lot. I am staying on the street until it’s taken care of. Then came home to a leak in the hallway. I am on the board so called the management company to help. This year is not starting out great.

Dang, 3 days without power! Not a good way to start the New Year.

I am so spoiled now, 3 days without power would drive me insane.

Last edited:
Began the winter home improvement project. Replace the whole house attic fan with the new "noise reduced" version. Essentially a ducted fan drawing through a six foot length of sound dampened flex duct.

Removed the existing louvers and fan and hit the depot for 2 sheets of OSB which they cut in quarter sheets so I can load them through the ceiling hole. I'm going to make a little floor up there for additional storage and also a work platform so I don't fall through the ceiling while installing the fan - :)

Accompanying DH to his follow up from his ER visit a month ago.
He had this appt scheduled prior, and has been doing fine, so did not want to go to the dr twice.

Dang, 3 days without power! Not a good way to start the New Year.

I am so spoiled now, 3 days without power would drive me insane.

Some people were without power for 6 days. Luckily it’s warmed up enough that instead of snow we are getting rain. The snow was so heavy and wet that it took down power lines and big trees. 70k were without power.

Some people were without power for 6 days. Luckily it’s warmed up enough that instead of snow we are getting rain. The snow was so heavy and wet that it took down power lines and big trees. 70k were without power.

That does happen in rural settings where I live at also. One day to six days with heavy snow ice and wind is a bad combination.

Usually when those occur here the weather is just at freezing, or above freezing so not as bad as it could be.

Street, I live right in town so was surprised. My chiropractic has patients that work for NV Energy and they told him since buffet bought it routine maintenance is no longer done. Ugh!!

Street, I live right in town so was surprised. My chiropractic has patients that work for NV Energy and they told him since buffet bought it routine maintenance is no longer done. Ugh!!

Interesting! I have seen and repeatedly heard stated from others in the cooperate world. Since he has bought out industries the same thing has happened to those business decisions as well.

Did some organizing, ordered stuff from Amazon, visited a friend's pole barn man cave, swapped out the oem antenna on my Jeep for a stubby one (car wash issue with the oem), and had a seborrheic keratosis removed from my face.

Last edited:
My deceased wife's twin daughters came by today and started the process of removing her clothing and other items they want as keepsakes. It's going to take several visits to get through this process as my wife had items she saved from the time the kids were born (1960's).

My deceased wife's twin daughters came by today and started the process of removing her clothing and other items they want as keepsakes. It's going to take several visits to get through this process as my wife had items she saved from the time the kids were born (1960's).

That’s bittersweet. It’s good it’s being done by those that care. I did that with my dad's things, it was a relief for my mother.

That's awful.

I looked at the PG&E outage map, and many people in northern CA are still without power due to downed power lines. When utility crews are overwhelmed like this, it may take a long time to get your power. More the reason to have your own backup power source.

Northern CA outage map: https://pgealerts.alerts.pge.com/outagecenter/

Sigh. It was too good to last. I moved the snow blower back from the shed to the garage in anticipation of the whole inch of snow we're forecast for tomorrow night into Monday. DW has also given up and says leave it there until the end of March.

It fits okay in the garage but it makes it a bit awkward for someone to get into the front passenger seat on the car. I guess we'll just live with it until then. My back issues make it painful for me to shovel even ridiculously tiny amounts of snow, but the 245 lb. self-propelled snow blower with a differential on the axle causes no issue at all. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom