What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Took a ride up Kern River Hwy aka Mtn 99 to admire the scenery.
And think I need an OHV, fishing gear, hiking stuff. There is a lot to do outdoors here. :cool:

Yes beautiful!! Some fly fishing and hiking will cure anything. What a great day.

The big event of the day was driving down to Home Depot and buying some 1/4 inch copper tubing and fittings to replace the plastic tubing that keeps springing pinhole leaks. This is the tubing that feeds water to the refrigerator icemaker. It got so bad that I put a water leak detector behind the refrigerator where the water puddles first.

Now I have to decide when to actually install this. As with many maintenance tasks, overcoming inertia is going to be the hardest part.

I have spent many hours wading through thickets of virtual records seeking to track down a small group of my ancestors who lived up and down the coast of Yorkshire and Durham in England (from Hull to Hartlepool) during the 19th century. It did not help that the one most important family came to the US, returned to England, then came back to the US 12 years after the first attempt. An interesting story, but a difficult one to untangle based on the records alone 150 years later. I can't imagine trying this without a computer.

I also took a short nap with my new kittens, who now have the run of house after escaping from the kitchen last night. We were trying to expand their horizons gradually to avoid alarming them. But the sudden increase in range apparently has not bothered them in the least. They're still upstairs on the bed.

Last edited:
........ As with many maintenance tasks, overcoming inertia is going to be the hardest part.

No doubt. It is far easier to motivate for the fun stuff. Like yesterday.

Talked to the insurance agent and dug up some documents.
Went to grocery stores. Got a pound of "irregular" bacon slices for $4.
Put up some solar power exterior security lights.
Still running a load of laundry.

Sounds like Gumbys cats are making themselves at home and taking over the joint. :LOL:

A day at home working on shallow well hand pump. Made some gaskets from an innertube and worked on a part I had to make for handle support when in operating it. Went and got a coupler and will need to thread one end of 7/16th rod. Then should be ready for use in the spring.

Went for a walk and enjoyed the great day. Melting and water standing all over today.

The big event of the day was driving down to Home Depot and buying some 1/4 inch copper tubing and fittings to replace the plastic tubing that keeps springing pinhole leaks. This is the tubing that feeds water to the refrigerator icemaker. It got so bad that I put a water leak detector behind the refrigerator where the water puddles first.

Now I have to decide when to actually install this. As with many maintenance tasks, overcoming inertia is going to be the hardest part.

I'm not singling you out, but I've seen repeated threads about failing ice makers on refrigerators. I don't know why people keep buying fridges with one part that has such a high failure rate.

It's not like making ice is hard or a time consuming chore.

Our experience is different. We've had two different refrigerators with ice and water dispenser and have only had one problem. It was shortly after we got the fridge and their solution was to replace the door... that fixed it.

The convenience of cold water and ice is worth the risk to us.

Went hiking in search of some eagles. Didn't find any, but stopped to do a little whittling.
HYO6fZs.jpg

This morning we welcomed a new grandchild to the family, but not the one we expected this week. The grandson born this morning wasn't due until 2/8 but he had other plans. Mom & baby are doing fine. We will go meet him and give attention to his brother on Saturday.

The other grandchild is due Saturday. Hopefully he/she comes in time for us to meet before we head to Florida for a month.

Cut a hole in the ceiling and installed the Quiet Cool intake damper box and the grill. The fan unit with the flex duct is up in the attic ready to go. Today I'll wire the RF wireless remote control hub on the fan, test and mount. Will be ready for the summer!

Then I'll finish up the last pieces of OSB flooring and the second panel covering the access hole.

Cut a hole in the ceiling and installed the Quiet Cool intake damper box and the grill. The fan unit with the flex duct is up in the attic ready to go. Today I'll wire the RF wireless remote control hub on the fan, test and mount. Will be ready for the summer!

Then I'll finish up the last pieces of OSB flooring and the second panel covering the access hole.

his working being done on the ship?

Went hiking in search of some eagles. Didn't find any, but stopped to do a little whittling.
HYO6fZs.jpg
Beautiful knife!! It looks like the beaver helped you with your whittling project. Lol

I need to get out and hike back in to see the eagles are getting nest ready. So much snow up high will have to see what I can see from down below.

Beautiful knife!! It looks like the beaver helped you with your whittling project. Lol

I need to get out and hike back in to see the eagles are getting nest ready. So much snow up high will have to see what I can see from down below.

Yeah, I don't see any wood chips either and no blood. :LOL:

I'm not singling you out, but I've seen repeated threads about failing ice makers on refrigerators. I don't know why people keep buying fridges with one part that has such a high failure rate.

It's not like making ice is hard or a time consuming chore.

I haven't purchased a refrigerator for 20+ years (this one came with the house) but they were pretty much standard when I was fixing them for Sears 50 years ago. Only the lowest of the low-end refrigerators came without an ice maker even then. You're right though, it's not that making ice is hard.

But at least here, the part that keeps failing is the plastic tubing which I am going to replace with much longer-lasting copper tubing. And my theory why the plastic tubing fails is the water solenoid that "slams shut" and creates a water hammer in the tubing, leading to failure. Hopefully we will have moved out of here by the time that fails. The ice maker itself has been pretty much a peach, with only two intermittent failures easily fixed.

his working being done on the ship?

No, the house. I had a "regular" style fan before and it worked great, but having a 24 inch fan blade spinning at 1000 rpm makes a lot of noise. These guys put the fan in a housing and connect to the intake with 6 feet of sound deadening insulation flex duct which is bent 90 degrees in the attic.

Fan spec is 45 dB which is pretty quiet.

No, the house. I had a "regular" style fan before and it worked great, but having a 24 inch fan blade spinning at 1000 rpm makes a lot of noise. These guys put the fan in a housing and connect to the intake with 6 feet of sound deadening insulation flex duct which is bent 90 degrees in the attic.

Fan spec is 45 dB which is pretty quiet.

Gotcha!!

Yeah, I don't see any wood chips either and no blood. :LOL:

Yep the beaver helped out quite a bit. I sent the pic to DW and SIL from the field and told them that I'd been whittling all morning. Can't believe that they figured out it was a beaver on their own.

....I need to get out and hike back in to see the eagles are getting nest ready. So much snow up high will have to see what I can see from down below.

You'll probably have some action. I checked a nearby bald eagle nest a few days ago and it was vacant. Been too warm here.

You'll probably have some action. I checked a nearby bald eagle nest a few days ago and it was vacant. Been too warm here.

I might take a look a look tomorrow. I'm heading to the ranch and will hike in for the day and then check on the eagles.

A couple of days ago, they delivered our new induction range and fridge. Sadly, the fridge is too tall, and we need to get someone to try to remove 1.5 inches from a board above it. They just delivered the range until we can get someone or find a shorter fridge. Supposedly, there's a guy coming out today to trim it, but that was supposed to happen yesterday.

Yesterday, I tried out the induction stove top making chicken soup. Awesome! I'm glad we made the change; it's as fast as gas, and I don't think I can blow up the house with it.

We save and sort our scraps and bones to make broths. Since we were down to just a Qt and a half of chicken broth left, I broke out the pressure cooker, cleaned out the freezer and today fixing to put 8 more Qts on the shelf. Tried 2 new recipe's, Philly Cheesesteak stuffed peppers for dinner last night, and a creamy broccoli cauliflower soup for tonight.

This morning we welcomed a new grandchild to the family, but not the one we expected this week. The grandson born this morning wasn't due until 2/8 but he had other plans. Mom & baby are doing fine. We will go meet him and give attention to his brother on Saturday.

The other grandchild is due Saturday. Hopefully he/she comes in time for us to meet before we head to Florida for a month.

Congratulations! For me grandchildren are the best part of retirement.

Congratulations! Grandbabies are the best.

Back
Top Bottom