What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

From what I've read, such encounters often do not end well.

I think I'll take any moose photos with a telephoto 500mm or longer.:)

You got that right!! We have had issues with moose elk hunting. I had a cow and calf living in the willows one spring and you never trust them. Lol

Thanks for posting!! I hope to someday get that close to a moose.

From what I've read, such encounters often do not end well.

I think I'll take any moose photos with a telephoto 500mm or longer.:)

You got that right!! We have had issues with moose elk hunting. I had a cow and calf living in the willows one spring and you never trust them. Lol

I don't plan to get close. 600mm will work fine. I've taken some cow moose shots in Denali at 600mm that needed about 80% crop. I was about 100 yds away, taken from the road. DW was yelling not to get closer.

Looking at getting a little closer than that in Glacier this summer. but not closer than 50 yards.

I assisted one of the service techs, pulling in a replacement water pipe with a cable system. He fed the cable in after he cut the pipe in the crawlspace and then we pulled in a new pex line while we pulled out the old copper, gate valve, and poly pipe.
The gate valve gave me some trouble till the bonnet came off.
The business end. You thread install a male adapter on the pex and thread it into that wedge. It is designed to split a pipe but it rarely does, it just drags it along.
PXL-20230202-183657758.jpg

Not much room to work, we got about 3' per pull. I positioned so I could not kidney punch the siding if it went quickly.
PXL-20230202-181852475.jpg

All those 3' pieces still threaded through with the cable.
PXL-20230202-183723954.jpg

Job is done, under two sidewalks and through the basement wall without digging it all up and cutting concrete.
PXL-20230202-183728452.jpg

PXL-20230202-183723954.jpg

Thanks for posting!! I hope to someday get that close to a moose.

You may want to rethink that.
My one moose encounter was 50 years ago in the north woods of Maine. I was driving a government station wagon with 5 or 6 passengers, it was late at night and we really wanted to get where we were going so we could get some sleep. For that reason, I was probably driving faster than I should have.

Deep in the woods on a country road, the moose suddenly appeared as we went around a curve. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could, and we fishtailed, winding up sideways on the shoulder. The moose casually continued crossing the road. One of the guys in the car swore he was going to put in a claim on his travel voucher for new underwear.

We still had at least 100 miles to go, but nobody complained when I reduced our speed to a more cautious level.

It was 50 degrees and sunny this afternoon, so the young wife and I went out for a walk. We saw a pair of bald eagles in the tree across the street from our house. I don't know if they were nest shopping or not. It would be a good spot for it, but there are several other possible locations in the immediate area of the harbor. I would be happy if they did stay there, so that we could just sit on our porch and watch them.

Well, it appears that our street did not make the final cut. The eagles have started building their nest in a tree on the grounds of the private girls' high school about 4 blocks away.

You may want to rethink that.
My one moose encounter was 50 years ago in the north woods of Maine. I was driving a government station wagon with 5 or 6 passengers, it was late at night and we really wanted to get where we were going so we could get some sleep. For that reason, I was probably driving faster than I should have.

Deep in the woods on a country road, the moose suddenly appeared as we went around a curve. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could, and we fishtailed, winding up sideways on the shoulder. The moose casually continued crossing the road. One of the guys in the car swore he was going to put in a claim on his travel voucher for new underwear.

We still had at least 100 miles to go, but nobody complained when I reduced our speed to a more cautious level.

Wow - quite a ride! I should be safer since I'll be on foot, and the moose should be in a lake. And I'll have my trusty Buck knife for protection.

YqZchH8.jpg

Last edited:
If I want to see a moose up close I watch rocky & bullwinkle - :)

Wow - quite a ride! I should be safer since I'll be on foot, and the moose should be in a lake. And I'll have my trusty Buck knife for protection.

YqZchH8.jpg

LOL! I like that.

We had our coldest night of the winter last night, with the air temperature at -4 F. and a wind chill of - 20 F. Minor pipe freeze on our downstairs powder room sink, which sits against the outside wall, but that was easily remedied with the hair dryer. It is supposed to be back to the 40s by tomorrow afternoon.

It could have been worse. On Mt. Washington in New Hampshire at 4:30am this morning, it was -46.8 F. , with wind speeds of 90 mph, for a wind chill of -108 F.

We had our coldest night of the winter last night, with the air temperature at -4 F. and a wind chill of - 20 F. Minor pipe freeze on our downstairs powder room sink, which sits against the outside wall, but that was easily remedied with the hair dryer. It is supposed to be back to the 40s by tomorrow afternoon.

It could have been worse. On Mt. Washington in New Hampshire at 4:30am this morning, it was -46.8 F. , with wind speeds of 90 mph, for a wind chill of -108 F.

We have it a bit cool today too. It’s 74 degrees but feels like 70. Winds are 20-30 kts and surf 6-12 feet. Clouds are keeping the sun hidden today.
Rough day in SE Florida.

^^ You two are sissies! Lol

That would be just another Friday here, at times. Forties here today and beautiful.

Fan installed and wires stapled to rafters. There is a 12000 lumen LED light up there too. Lights up the whole space so easy to work.

52669158775_9c03043c40.jpg

The fan intake is just right of the attic access. The ladder makes access easy. Eight and a half foot telescoping unit rated 1A, 330 pounds. In addition I have it on hooks at the top so it can't slide back or side to side. Very safe.

52669222913_6f7df18822.jpg

Still need to finish up the flooring up there and then we'll have an additional 64 sq-ft of storage space The access is also going to have a second barrier at ceiling level with a trim molding to make it pretty as well as double insulated.

Thanks!

Wifey wouldn't let me get started until after Christmas, didn't want any mess. This was an easy project to "stage"

First get some floorboards up there to put stuff on and keep from falling through the ceiling. Then lighting followed by the ladder. This was the first time I've been all the way in the attic as a 6 foot step ladder did not feel safe. Then I made the inner block off to keep the house warm followed by cutting the hole for the intake and finally install the fan and the flex duct.

Not to mention need to wait for overcast days to be in the attic for any length of time. The sun will hot box the space even though the temp outside is 50. That's the beauty of the whole house fan, not only draws cool air through the house but also exhausts the hot air in the attic.

This very cold day inspired me to fire up my oven - baked pineapple muffins this morning (pineapple desserts always seem to go with winter), and right now I'm slow-braising a pot roast. Thought about the instant pot or a slow cooker, but why not have the oven assist in warming up the house?

Now that the kids and relatives have had a chance to go through DW's clothes closet(s) and take anything they feel they can use or wear, I spent the morning filling boxes with slacks, blouses, sweaters, etc to donate to the Montgomery County Women's Center for eventual resale.

The raised funds are used to assist/care for battered women in the County.

I have a long way to go as she had clothes going back decades. And the shoes kept in original boxes.....

Now that the kids and relatives have had a chance to go through DW's clothes closet(s) and take anything they feel they can use or wear, I spent the morning filling boxes with slacks, blouses, sweaters, etc to donate to the Montgomery County Women's Center for eventual resale.

The raised funds are used to assist/care for battered women in the County.

I have a long way to go as she had clothes going back decades. And the shoes kept in original boxes.....

That's a hard job filled with a lot of emotions. Kudos to you for making it through.

Thanks, I was going to do more packing today, but I need a day or two away from this.
I don't blame you that is a tough task. I wish you the best.

Went looking for moose sheds. Seven and half miles worth and nothing. It wasn't all a loss, because I got some great exercise and was in the outdoors all day. Priceless!!

It was like a good day of fishing, not necessarily catching :)
I picked DB and DSIL up at the Bainbridge ferry and we went to the property to shoot grades and pull tape measures here and there and pound posts. We moved the house 10 feet away from the nearest property line, and then figured out the floor and basement elevations relative to a nearby survey marker and the closest sewer manhole.
We measured the setbacks and also the distance to that manhole for the sewage pump line.
It was a good distraction from thinking about our sister and family.

Had a wonderful, full weekend. Each day was spent with kids and grandkids. The best kind of days.
Today--nothing is planned!

Back
Top Bottom