What is this Texas tree (bush?)

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I have this in the side yard and don't know what it is or how big it will grow.

Anybody know what it is?

Thanks.

Yard tree.jpg

Tree close up.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's the Texas Butt-Wiper tree, and those leaves can be mighty handy during a TP shortage. Take good care of it! :cool:

Are the blooms fragrant? It looks like a Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragrans).

Yes, thanks! I believe that's it as a neighbor just came by and has one or two. The blooms are fragrant too.

Maybe I can save the trimmings for braumeister and send them to him if he runs out of TP this Spring!

Looks like wax-leaf ligustrum to me. Popular shrub or hedge in Texas but not native. They will get really big (20’ or taller) if left to grow unchecked...

I'm pretty sure that's the Texas Butt-Wiper tree, and those leaves can be mighty handy during a TP shortage. Take good care of it! :cool:

+1

Those smooth, waxy leaves make it a bush that's easy on the tush!

Yes, thanks! I believe that's it as a neighbor just came by and has one or two. The blooms are fragrant too.

Maybe I can save the trimmings for braumeister and send them to him if he runs out of TP this Spring!

Tea Olive isn't a fast grower, but you will want to prune this particular plant well after it finishes blooming. Without pruning, it can turn into a small tree and too big for the location in your first pic.

Tea Olive isn't a fast grower, but you will want to prune this particular plant well after it finishes blooming. Without pruning, it can turn into a small tree and too big for the location in your first pic.

Thanks, it's not too tall yet and I will prune it back this summer.

Back
Top Bottom