What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Did an experiment today on cooking baby back ribs on both the Weber WSM and a Green Mountain pellet Smoker. Weber was running a bit hot today 275 vs 225 so it’s rack was done before the GMG that ran @ 225.

Think the GMG rack turned out pretty good for my first time on it, ribs juicier but more fall off the bone (aka over cooked). The WSM were very good, with bite thru consistency and nice flavor.

Overall, I think I can make the GMG perform better; just need more practice. :)

Attachments

• 55BEEB72-8B96-40FA-9BE0-30CD902B033D.jpeg
    55BEEB72-8B96-40FA-9BE0-30CD902B033D.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 56
No, they didn't. But all I could get right now.
Well the skin is the key to the crispy outside from what I’ve seen. I’m very impressed that your pork knuckles turned out so nice without the skin! That’s good to know.

Schweinshaxe - the recent discussions of Munich and Salzburg have me craving this German style slow roasted pork hock/knuckle with the crispy skin. I occasionally see fresh pork hocks at HEB. I want to do it outside on the grill and/or smoker. I’ve seen a few different ways to do it. Anyone made Schweinshaxe at home?

Anyway - new project for me!………

This is the recipe that I have used. It has turned out really nice, but be warned that if you do this in the oven, you may get some smoke when you broil the skin at the end.

I will always remember the schweinshaxe restaurant that had 15 pages of schweinshaxe options including curry flavored, chinese style with 5 spice powder and others - I chose the traditional version complete with a Kolsch ale.(okay maybe a couple of ales)

Good video. I was surprised at the Eisbein method he mentioned (pickled), because I've had it Bavarian style all over northern Germany. Will have to look for the other sometime.

This is the recipe that I have used. It has turned out really nice, but be warned that if you do this in the oven, you may get some smoke when you broil the skin at the end.

I will always remember the schweinshaxe restaurant that had 15 pages of schweinshaxe options including curry flavored, chinese style with 5 spice powder and others - I chose the traditional version complete with a Kolsch ale.(okay maybe a couple of ales)

Yeah, I had watched that. And oven smoke (and splatter) is a big reason why I prefer to do high temperature stuff like this outdoors.

Last edited:
Good video. I was surprised at the Eisbein method he mentioned (pickled), because I've had it Bavarian style all over northern Germany. Will have to look for the other sometime.

I read several mentions of the northern style pickled and boiled method.

OK! I finally found some fresh pork hocks with skin at my local H‑E‑B! So I tried making schweinshaxe.

I salted the skin overnight, made a rub with caraway, salt and garlic powder. Cut a couple of slits in the skin.

I roasted at 325 indirect heat over a pan of sauerkraut and sliced onions.

Then finished over direct heat after removing the pan. The skin crisped up in just a few minutes.

I would have made red cabbage as a side, but no red cabbages were found.

Pretty happy with my first try. I’d like to find bigger shanks, these were just a bit over 1lb each. These were also quite lean except for the skin.

Attachments

• 581C5039-D8EE-4139-AF2E-EAAB1A568985.jpeg
    581C5039-D8EE-4139-AF2E-EAAB1A568985.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 83B45591-20AD-45F0-AD73-B76DB693D343.jpeg
    83B45591-20AD-45F0-AD73-B76DB693D343.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
They look awesome Audrey! Never had pork hocks before. I'll ask for them next year when we get out annual hog. Any other suggestions? Once things get "normal" around here I look forward to making some creations. We grill a few times a week right now year round , but recently with just basic recipes.

Well the rotisserie was key.

Since these were pretty lean I would brine them overnight. We didn’t get much drippings. Maybe a heritage breed would have more drippings.

I got them slightly past target temp and should have been watching more closely after 1.5 hours, but they were still great. Almost overdid it on the crisping too. This was all new to me including the rotisserie.

I forgot to oil the drip pan :facepalm: and should have put some liquid in it (kraut juice in this case), but I was expecting greasy drippings.

Last edited:
I've never had the nerve to try that. I have a few favorite places to enjoy it in Germany, and I never miss them when I travel there. I should probably give it a go sometime here. Please let us know if you come up with a great technique.

We were in Berlin in October, and it was a pretty young society eating American fast food--and Vietnamese food. We had to go down to Dresden to really find German food, and it's quite a special place.

When overseas, we may eat some of the local food, but we also will eat Chinese, Vietnamese and street pizza. But those pig knuckles are surprisingly good in Germany.

Since our 5/2022 cruise to the Baltics (and St. Petersburg) has been cancelled, Plan B may be Switzerland and the Austrian Alps.

This is for Braumeister.

I made rajas con crema again today to go with our grilled ribeye steaks.

Fresh poblanos are plentiful here and probably my favorite chile. They are usually very mild these days, but occasionally quite hot! I’m lucky most of the time.

Grill the poblanos, I pick flat or “two-sided” poblanos for less turns on the grill, I usually grill 5, brushed with some oil. Grill long enough to get well blistered but not two much charring which make them harder to peel.

After grilling I put them in bowl covered with plastic wrap to steam for a bit - supposedly makes them easier to peel. You can refrigerate for much later at this stage.

I sautée a sliced large sweet onion in butter and some salt. Let it get browned. Then add the peeled and seeded poblano strips (rajas). They usually don’t need much cooking after grilling. Then I stir in around 1/4 cup heavy cream. Let that simmer on low heat a while to cook down.

Pile some on your grilled steak - yum!

If you love poblanos I also recommend Crema de Poblano soup. Manuel’s in Austin makes a lovely one. We have one restaurant that make it here, not bad.

Attachments

• AE541E20-2E39-42A3-83E2-851F22C736D4.jpeg
    AE541E20-2E39-42A3-83E2-851F22C736D4.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 34
  • C6F0AC0B-52F9-4F74-9BA7-52B74C7C8467.jpeg
    C6F0AC0B-52F9-4F74-9BA7-52B74C7C8467.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 50814504-BE2A-4554-89FE-3BC8C51E6797.jpeg
    50814504-BE2A-4554-89FE-3BC8C51E6797.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 976D3286-09D5-4FB6-8C8A-F47F68BC2DD5.jpeg
    976D3286-09D5-4FB6-8C8A-F47F68BC2DD5.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 928347B8-E017-407E-A7CA-8515AB20AECB.jpeg
    928347B8-E017-407E-A7CA-8515AB20AECB.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Trying something different. Making a "ham" from a pork shoulder. It is curing now, should be ready for smoke on Thursday (7 day cure). Not cheaper than buying a ham, but just thought I would give it a try.

On a side note: Had ribs from a local BBQ place recently. They were OK at best. Then I smoked my own baby backs (2-2-1 method). No comparison. I am done buying smoked ribs.

I smoked some ribs recently. I tried some Berkshire heritage breed spare ribs this time. DH thought the flavor was superior.

I’m too lazy to put more than a dry rub and spritz occasionally with apple cider vinegar. Fortunately these didn’t need wrapping until they were done and resting and they only took a little over 4 hours at 250.

Attachments

• 0B74B6DA-6A8C-403C-A50E-1290D3EBFD78.jpeg
    0B74B6DA-6A8C-403C-A50E-1290D3EBFD78.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 32
I dry aged a primal rib a while back to cut into prime rib-eye steaks. Turned out great.

Attachments

• BAD5022B-3349-47CE-8F05-B1A80ECAC753.jpg
    BAD5022B-3349-47CE-8F05-B1A80ECAC753.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 32
Did you use an aging bag in the fridge? How much did you have to cut off?

Komodo Joe?

Anyone have one? What do you think of it, and how does it compare to the Bid Green Egg?

Trying something different. Making a "ham" from a pork shoulder. It is curing now, should be ready for smoke on Thursday (7 day cure). Not cheaper than buying a ham, but just thought I would give it a try.

OK. The "ham" turned out too salty. So, let's try something else. I grew up in New England, and a Boiled Dinner was a fall and winter staple. Much like corned beef and cabbage, but using a cured and smoked pork shoulder.

I only tried this with part of the shoulder, but will make more.

Boiled it for about 2 hours, added potatoes and carrots. Waited a while and added cabbage. Came out pretty dang good.

Not what I planned, but actually as good, or better than corned beef.

Side note. According to this site, https://thechefscookingschool.com/recipes/new-england-boiled-dinner/#1846+p:1 , the New England boiled dinner was probably closer to what my Irish ancestors ate than corned beef (at least before they came to America).

I soak my cured pork belly in fresh water for a couple of hours in the fridge before smoking it to make my bacon taste less salty.

I also used to rinse my store bought corned beef a couple of times and then soak it in fresh water before cooking because DH would complain that it tasted too salty otherwise.

I think the immigrant Irish adopted corned beef from the Jewish community in America.

My sister and her husband are visiting, so I smoked some baby back ribs today. They were most excellent. At my brother in law's suggestion, I also smoked two raw eggs. They came out fine, but had no smoke flavor. I don't think I'll repeat the experiment.

My sister and her husband are visiting, so I smoked some baby back ribs today. They were most excellent. At my brother in law's suggestion, I also smoked two raw eggs. They came out fine, but had no smoke flavor. I don't think I'll repeat the experiment.

If they are in the shell, how would you get any smoke flavor? The shells are somewhat permeable as the allow air exchange, but still.

Thanks, I don’t think I’ll try that either.

Time for more smoked chicken wings!

Attachments

• 4EC2A822-FCB7-49D3-A17D-3C53334A93B9.jpeg
    4EC2A822-FCB7-49D3-A17D-3C53334A93B9.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom