What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

I had some friends over for bone in pork prime rib. I brined it 6 hours seasoned it with Traeger Pork & Chicken rub and put it on the Bighorn smoker for 4 hours at 225. Got to 145 internal temp and took it off to let it rest for about a beer, then sliced it between the bones. Turned out great.

Found some beef chuck ribs in my freezer the other day. Gave them a 45 hour sous vide bath and then iced the bags for about 30 minutes. They’ve been on the smoker now for close to two hours to finish them, and I’m about to pull them off. Hope they turn out good.

I currently have a Traeger which I just love.
When I was cooking on it the other day I noticed the temperature was not steady at all. Like it went from 325° down to 260ish°. For reference it was in the 90’s outside.
Anyway- it’s old and was one of the cheaper models so I’m thinking about getting a new one.
My friends husband suggested a Recteq instead.
Does anyone here have any experience with the RecTeqs?

Big thick London broils on the charcoal grill, 15 minutes per side. Black pepper is the only seasoning. And a little salt. Exquisite, imho.

I currently have a Traeger which I just love.
When I was cooking on it the other day I noticed the temperature was not steady at all. Like it went from 325° down to 260ish°. For reference it was in the 90’s outside.
Anyway- it’s old and was one of the cheaper models so I’m thinking about getting a new one.
My friends husband suggested a Recteq instead.
Does anyone here have any experience with the RecTeqs?

I often smoke at higher ambient temps so I don’t think that was it.

My Traeger temperature control was much better if I kept the fire pot very clean of ash from prior smokes.

But I did upgrade to a larger “pro” Traeger which overall works much better. Has a better quality “pro” temperature controller as well as larger grill area, much better drain system, much larger hopper, etc., etc. It has been excellent.

I stuck with a Traeger because I knew it well and had been delighted with the smoked foods it produced.

I've been loving the 12+ pound briskets from Kroger at $1.99 a pound. I slice them in half and turn one end into brisket and the other gets brined and turned into pastrami. Except the one that is brining right now; I'm going to do the entire 15 lbs as pastrami to take to a family get reunion.

Yeah, I think I will try that cut in half trick soon, thanks!

Especially as we prefer the fattier end of a brisket.

We’ll find out if DH likes the pastrami. I’m not sure if he’s cared for it in the past. He might think it’s too salty. He’s not that crazy about corned beef, but if I give it a good soak before making corned beef and cabbage he thinks it’s OK.

Last edited:
I have a brisket, injected with garlic infused cherry juice, ready to throw on the smoker tomorrow night. Kinda concerned because at 9400' altitude the time and temp to pull it off will be different than at sea level. From what I've read and experienced with ribs and pork butts it'll take a few hours longer, hence why I'll smoke it overnight.
I'll smoke it overnight at 215-240ºF, in the morning I'll wrap it in pink butcher paper when it hits 165º or so. But the reviews I've seen are to pull it off at 192-195º rather than going to 203-205º.
Hope it turns out juicy and tender.

201 degrees is usually where I go. It may not be tender at those lower temps.

The real test of doneness/tenderness is how malleable the brisket is and how easily something like a toothpick pierces it. You probably know this. You don’t want any stiff parts.

Brisket with Garlic infused cherry juice--now, that sounds interesting!

Smoking some tri-tips now. This time I made a Santa Maria rub from scratch. I’ll let rest then reverse sear.

I usually make a Chimichurri sauce to go with tri-tip.

Attachments

• 607B0F5D-BD04-4AA6-87D1-415A9A42A1D0.jpeg
    607B0F5D-BD04-4AA6-87D1-415A9A42A1D0.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 51
Got a pork butt on sale yesterday that I’ll be smoking tomorrow. Nothing special, but I’ll prep it tonight (trim it and apply rub) and get it on the smoker early tomorrow morning so it will be ready for dinner. Not sure what side yet, but probably some coleslaw in case I make sandwiches. Hoping there will be left over pork so that I can vacuum pack some. That’ll depend on whether or not either of the daughters show up. It’ll probably be gone if DD with grandkids shows up. Either way it’s all good and we’ll be eating well tomorrow.

I grilled up about 20 pork tenderloins for our 14 couple 4th Annual Barrel Club Dinner. I used Nature's Seasonings on half and a coffee/cocoa rub on the other. Grilled them until internal temp was 135 degrees about 90 minutes before serving. Wrapped them in heavy aluminum foil, then set them in the second oven at 200 degree about 30 minutes before serving. Turned out great, did not dry out.

Tri-tips turned out nice. Cooks too quickly even at 225 to get much smoke flavor even though a decent smoke ring developed, but still very nice.

Attachments

• 9A9B13EB-31C2-4C26-8124-FD6949A8C6C7.jpeg
    9A9B13EB-31C2-4C26-8124-FD6949A8C6C7.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Amazingly H‑E‑B down here usually has a few, and less often Costco. These were from Costco.

Last edited:
Update on my high altitude brisket. Cooked until internal temp was 192º. It came out good, a bit drier than usual but tender. I probably should have wrapped it sooner, it was 180º when wrapped. Took 13 hours. Everyone enjoyed it, even my vegetarian friend tasted it and said it was good!

a bit drier than usual but tender. I probably should have wrapped it sooner, it was 180º when wrapped.

Looks like you have it figured out. I always wrap by the time it hits 170°F IT and I've never had a dry one.

Update on my high altitude brisket. Cooked until internal temp was 192º. It came out good, a bit drier than usual but tender. I probably should have wrapped it sooner, it was 180º when wrapped. Took 13 hours. Everyone enjoyed it, even my vegetarian friend tasted it and said it was good!
Congrats!

Do you leave a bowl of water in with the brisket while smoking it? Or occasionally spritz it with a liquid like apple cider vinegar? I notice that Franklin does the former for sure, and sometimes the latter after a long while. The stall occurs between 160-170 degrees and people usually wrap then to help it get through plus retain moisture. I usually review the BBQ with Franklin brisket videos before committing to brisket as I don’t do brisket often. This middle one discusses your points.

Tri-tips turned out nice. Cooks too quickly even at 225 to get much smoke flavor even though a decent smoke ring developed, but still very nice.

I picked up a smoke bar to place inside my pellet grill. You fill it with pellets and light it and it really smokes up the grill for up to 4 hours. If you want more smoke flavor this can really help.

I picked up a smoke bar to place inside my pellet grill. You fill it with pellets and light it and it really smokes up the grill for up to 4 hours. If you want more smoke flavor this can really help.

Interesting, I hadn’t considered that.

Just smoked a pork loin for a party yesterday. Slathered in mustard, sprinkled with dry rub and smoked with plum. Never got so many compliments!

Well this should fit in here.... DW has been experimenting with different ideas to use up some figs... We are picking about a gallon every other day. So she tried a Balsamic Fig Vinegar recipe, Chop up figs, dash of Balsamic Vinegar, several hours in the slow cooker. Run thru a press, Then strain and bottle....
Well the left over goo from straining was used to baste pork chops on the Blackstone last night... added a wonderful, caramelized coating. wondering how it would work on a smoked pork butt.

I often smoke at higher ambient temps so I don’t think that was it.

My Traeger temperature control was much better if I kept the fire pot very clean of ash from prior smokes.

But I did upgrade to a larger “pro” Traeger which overall works much better. Has a better quality “pro” temperature controller as well as larger grill area, much better drain system, much larger hopper, etc., etc. It has been excellent.

I stuck with a Traeger because I knew it well and had been delighted with the smoked foods it produced.

I cleaned out the ash from my Traeger using my handy 20 year old kenmore vacuum cleaner. [emoji23]
Seems to be working fine now.
I do still want a new one and will keep a lookout for the Costco sale or one at the local hardware store that sells them.
I’d like to hold off until next spring so I’m hoping keeping the ash cleaned out continues to work.
Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom