What We're Making

And when she's older it'll become a hope chest. (Maybe I'm showing my age....)

Very impressive - that's an heirloom for sure!

I needed a bigger tv - but first a bigger space for it. TV comes in Monday. I photoshopped it in to see what it will look like.

https://youtu.be/QHS5NFSQlOY

Attachments

• edited ent center.jpg
    edited ent center.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Testing the process to make some inlays on my CNC machine. Friend who makes musical instruments has a request to add some simple inlays to the next and body of a banjo he'll make. These were made to give him something to share as an example. Simple process and the amount of clamping force applied during the glue up seems critical.

Last edited:
Testing the process to make some inlays on my CNC machine. Friend who makes musical instruments has a request to add some simple inlays to the next and body of a banjo he'll make. These were made to give him something to share as an example. Simple process and the amount of clamping force applied during the glue up seems critical.

How do you do it? I'd probably just lay a sheet of waxed paper over it, then clamp another board on top to give even coverage. But I'm still an amateur. I spend most of my woodworking time building storage for my woodworking gear, as opposed to doing anything artistic.

How do you do it? I'd probably just lay a sheet of waxed paper over it, then clamp another board on top to give even coverage. But I'm still an amateur. I spend most of my woodworking time building storage for my woodworking gear, as opposed to doing anything artistic.

As you say, just use waxpaper and a board to spread the clamping force but found that if I really tightened the clamps, it was a much tighter fit even though I was afraid I was squeezing out too much clue. The inlay pocket is about .2" deep and the inlay is about .1" when sanded down which leaves a gap under the inlay for the glue.

Here's a box I finished yesterday with a West Virginia theme, inlay on the top is walnut and box is oak. All the wood from my property. Needs a bit more sanding.

Last edited:
Craftsman Windows

I mentioned awhile back on the What Did You Do Today thread that I was having stained glass windows made. Now they are in. I'm posting here because I researched some patterns for turn of last century Craftsman designs, and I designed them and picked out the glass. I did not actually make them, but I participated!
I'm a stained glass junkie who has always had stained glass in the old houses I've lived in. This one needed some too. This is my 100 year old dining room, now enhanced. They are hard to photograph on a sunny day--when they refract all sorts of lovely light--but here are some photos from a more shady day.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 67
This is a wine caddy I put together this morning on the CNC machine. A couple of local people asked me to put one together after seeing something similar at a wedding.

Last edited:
Probably doesn't qualify here, but celebration time for me. After a summer of diddling with my Woodhaven seawall, finally bit the bullet and spent three days of muscle busting work to move several tons of rip rap from my driveway, down the hill to back up the seawall from erosion. Should have hired to have it done, but it became a point of pride.
Paid for the "pleasure" with several days of pain, but also found some amazement that this aging body could take the punishment.
Classify this as "making" the shoreline safe for winter's worst.

:dance:

Probably doesn't qualify here, but celebration time for me. After a summer of diddling with my Woodhaven seawall, finally bit the bullet and spent three days of muscle busting work to move several tons of rip rap from my driveway, down the hill to back up the seawall from erosion. Should have hired to have it done, but it became a point of pride.
Paid for the "pleasure" with several days of pain, but also found some amazement that this aging body could take the punishment.

You just gave me inspiration to work on the landscaping in my back yard. Heck, if someone 10 years my senior can haul around tons of rock, I can lay some sod and build a planter.

I mentioned awhile back on the What Did You Do Today thread that I was having stained glass windows made. Now they are in. I'm posting here because I researched some patterns for turn of last century Craftsman designs, and I designed them and picked out the glass. I did not actually make them, but I participated!
I'm a stained glass junkie who has always had stained glass in the old houses I've lived in. This one needed some too. This is my 100 year old dining room, now enhanced. They are hard to photograph on a sunny day--when they refract all sorts of lovely light--but here are some photos from a more shady day.

I love Craftsman design. Your windows are perfect!
I do miss my 1924 Craftsman home.....

Marita- very nice windows - and authentic for Craftsman houses. Nice work.

Davemartin88- you have that cnc dialed in!

I think this qualifies fine!

Did inlays in a piece of Mahogany that a friend will use for a fretboard on a banjo he is making.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom