What We're Making

So much talent!

I'm not retired, so I don't have nearly the free time I want to pursue my hobbies yet (or some new ones, always wanted to try forging), but I do find time to build electric guitars and similar musical instruments, and wish I had more time to play them...

IMG-20150907-135457-COLLAGE.jpg

Just like my wife the quilter, I seem to have several projects going at once, the red one isn't finished and I have 2 other started. Because I can!

Not difficult to make but this kayak stand will elevate the kayak a little above the dock. Boss says I need to paint it gray

Attachments

• 4904E69C-1530-4051-AF01-176802A38538.jpeg
    4904E69C-1530-4051-AF01-176802A38538.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • D3B40988-D664-4519-974A-D5820AEEBB45.jpeg
    D3B40988-D664-4519-974A-D5820AEEBB45.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 52
Not difficult to make but this kayak stand will elevate the kayak a little above the dock. Boss says I need to paint it gray
Looks good. 4 tees, 8 street elbows and length of pipe. That PVC stuff comes in handy for a lot of things!

Very nice table! And don’t worry about losing a finger. I was making something with my grandfather around 1970 when he cut off the tip of a finger with his table saw. I was in shock, but he said that you’re fortunate to live to almost 70 with all of your fingers.

My father was a carpenter and lost half a finger on the table saw long after he retired. I've been using a table saw for over 30 years and it still makes me nervous, one of the better accessories I picked up a few years ago was the GRR-Ripper push block. Works great for most rip cuts, helps keep the hands out of way, and provides a nice secure hold on the board when cutting.

My father was a carpenter and lost half a finger on the table saw long after he retired. I've been using a table saw for over 30 years and it still makes me nervous, one of the better accessories I picked up a few years ago was the GRR-Ripper push block. Works great for most rip cuts, helps keep the hands out of way, and provides a nice secure hold on the board when cutting.

I have a GRR-ripper too. It does have a great grip on it and its adjustable. I like it

Impressive skills on this forum!
Love handmade things.

This is some MacGyvering I did today. I made the video for my BIL, who came up with the turkey baster idea. But it takes forever that way, and I get my hands and even arms greasy...I smell like I rolled in the smoker.

The video shows the modification I made to a shop vac to get all the grease into a ziploc bag.
https://www.youtube.com/foqKxllBjFM

making custom steps for our 5th wheel trailer. The fold out steps are a on-standard pitch, also not uniform height.
I am removing the fold out parts and leaving the shell for my steps. The height of the floor is almost 32" so I will go with 7.75" by 11" rise and run.
My blind chalupa dog will go up the old steps but not down, and I am looking forward to baiting her down the new steps with kibble.

Thanks! Yeah my wife really wanted to preserve the character of the bark on the live edge. I took it down to the Cambrian layer and then layered epoxy into the defects. Most all tables I've seen out there pretty much strip out all the bark to the bare wood (its much easier and quicker).
Nice job. Hope your wife enjoys the table.

But if it's white or a brighter color than the gray it will stand out and be less of a tripping hazard. Will this be a permanent installation? Does the kayak slide on the pvc to get it in the water? Another reason why not to paint it.

So much talent!

I'm not retired, so I don't have nearly the free time I want to pursue my hobbies yet (or some new ones, always wanted to try forging), but I do find time to build electric guitars and similar musical instruments, and wish I had more time to play them...
Just like my wife the quilter, I seem to have several projects going at once, the red one isn't finished and I have 2 other started. Because I can!

Wow Blueberry, mad skills! How long have you been building musical instruments?

But if it's white or a brighter color than the gray it will stand out and be less of a tripping hazard. Will this be a permanent installation? Does the kayak slide on the pvc to get it in the water? Another reason why not to paint it.

This is not a permanent installation. But I will use it all summer. I could slide the kayak on the pvc into the water, but I soon will be getting a kayak launch.

I will only paint it if DW continues to tell me to.

The first one was in 2015, i actually purchased the neck for that one, but have graduated to making my own necks now. It gives me more flexibility to do something that you can't buy. The yellow one has a Gibson-style body but a slightly longer fender-style neck (technically scale length) while retaining the 3-per side Gibson-style tuners.

I'm currently working on a headless travel bass.
I tend to be too busy in the summers and do most of work in the fall and spring (since I work in the garage, winter can be too cold to work, and definitely too cold to paint).

The first one was in 2015, i actually purchased the neck for that one, but have graduated to making my own necks now. It gives me more flexibility to do something that you can't buy. The yellow one has a Gibson-style body but a slightly longer fender-style neck (technically scale length) while retaining the 3-per side Gibson-style tuners.

I'm currently working on a headless travel bass.
I tend to be too busy in the summers and do most of work in the fall and spring (since I work in the garage, winter can be too cold to work, and definitely too cold to paint).

Nice. Making your own necks is quite a feat (from what I understand, never made one). Do you make your own fretboard too? Getting those frets placed accurately would be a challenge. For some reason, I've got addicted to a few guitar repair you-tubers, just interesting to see the techniques. Yet, I still haven't done a few simple tweaks to my guitars. Gotta make a new saddle on my acoustic, and simply re-string and do a set up on my electric. Some day.

-ERD50

This is not a permanent installation. But I will use it all summer. I could slide the kayak on the pvc into the water, but I soon will be getting a kayak launch.

I will only paint it if DW continues to tell me to.

I'm told PVC is not UV stable, and should be painted if it is outdoors. OTOH, I see lots of it unpainted (high efficiency furnace in/out vents), not sure if it is a big deal or not. But listening to DW usually is.

-ERD50

Yes fretboards are part of the neck. I use a free website that generates a PDF from your specifications (scale length, but width, etc...). I found those can be printed very accurately at Kinko's. I then tack-glue the template on then use a quality saw with a steady hand.
Leveling and finishing frets is labor intensive but not that difficult.
It's a fun hobby and always fun to show up at a jam with a unique instrument you built yourself.

I'm told PVC is not UV stable, and should be painted if it is outdoors. OTOH, I see lots of it unpainted (high efficiency furnace in/out vents), not sure if it is a big deal or not. But listening to DW usually is.

-ERD50

Yep, listening to DW is the driving force in all decision making.

I made this cookie tray for a bridal shower this afternoon. It’s for my daughter’s BFF

IMG_0055.JPG

I made this cookie tray for a bridal shower this afternoon. It’s for my daughter’s BFF

View attachment 39764

I think the next time there’s a get together (like the Sarasota get together), you should bring the cookies. Your creations look fantastic and actually to cool looking to eat.

Philliefan33-
beautiful and delicious looking cookies.
Funny, I was just thinking about all of your decorated cookies not too long ago! My grandson wanted to make and decorate some, but I definitely do not have you talent. I have not had good luck with the decorator icing. May be my recipe or something.

Philliefan33, beautiful!! Very talented and creative.

Thanks all, but these pale in comparison to the detailed icing work that Exit2024 has shared with us.

Pacergal, I usually use regular old royal icing. Getting the consistency right for outlining and flooding takes some practice but you can find many tutorial videos on YouTube. Piping bags and a few tips are all that is needed to get a finished look.

I’m pretty sure that when my grandson wants to decorate cookies with me we will just slap some icing on and let him go to town with the colored sugar.

Back
Top Bottom