What's with the moving to Florida thing??

I get a Disney annual pass every other year. The off years I'll go to Universal once or twice.

This last time, I downgraded to the pass just good for weekdays (- some other blackout dates) and it worked out good. It's a lot cheaper and it blocks out the busiest dates which are the days you don't want to be at the parks anyway.
Good idea! I'm a teacher now so Disney has equaled crowds to me. I can't wait to go when it is a little less packed.

How much are Disney passes nowadays? Seems to me like Disney would Roll in his grave if he knew. His parks were meant for the masses of all walks of life, from what I have seen in the past, now only those with some relatively decent disposable means can afford it.

Last edited:
How much are Disney passes nowadays? Seems to me like Disney would Roll in his grave if he know. His parks were meant for the masses of all walks of life, from what I have seen in the past, now only those with some relatively decent disposal means can afford it.
There is a lot of buzz online on the subject of whether Disney just pushed its prices too high. Here on the West Coast, crowd levels are down at Disneyland. WAY down. I don't know about FL parks.

To answer your question, there are so many different types of passes now and add ons...and discounts....that a look online at the official site is the best bet.

How much are Disney passes nowadays? Seems to me like Disney would Roll in his grave if he know. His parks were meant for the masses of all walks of life, from what I have seen in the past, now only those with some relatively decent disposal means can afford it.

The weekday only pass is $349 yearly for Florida residents.
The passes used to be much cheaper and were grandfathered in for no increases for life, but that stopped last December.

There must be a genetic variation on the emotional response to weather, especially the grey skies of the north.

I can’t even look at snow on television. In my youth I was a fanatical skier.

As a snowbirder, I resent every single day of gloomy weather in the shoulder season we fail to dodge.

From How I met your mother, Canadian character

“We had a romance that lasted the entire summer. It was the best two weeks of my life”

DW just showed me the first fallen leaf of autumn this morning.

I also am bitter with the 6 month cap on my time in the US, in spite of their being zero chance of us becoming a burden and getting ripped off for property tax.

Every year a bill is initiated in each House to expand our privilege to 8 months, which goes nowhere. In Ontario where most Canadian snowbirds reside, we can be out 7 months and maintain healthcare.

The weekday only pass is $349 yearly for Florida residents.
The passes used to be much cheaper and were grandfathered in for no increases for life, but that stopped last December.

They are offering me 15% off if I renew, but I do every other year so won't be taking advantage of that offer. I'm going one last time this month before my pass expires. I thought, after tax, I paid just over $300 last year, so it might have gone up $50-ish since then.

There is a lot of buzz online on the subject of whether Disney just pushed its prices too high. Here on the West Coast, crowd levels are down at Disneyland. WAY down. I don't know about FL parks.

To answer your question, there are so many different types of passes now and add ons...and discounts....that a look online at the official site is the best bet.

Not sure officially with the FLA parks, but they seem fairly crowded when I go which isn't often though.

I may actually move to Florida, when I am too old and feeble to Leave the Continental U.S. for the Snowbird thing. I used to snowbird in Florida until it became hard to find a rental for 3 months.

Pet Peeve: -- The VRBO owners that rent their places out in Florida that don't update their Calendars (Which is over 90% of them)... Wastes everyone's time including theirs. A couple years ago, I sent out about 40 requests to rent via VRBO, only to be told that their place was already rented. The upside for me is that Australia, Hawaii and the Bahamas were far better locations for a Snow-birder.

As I said, I'm interested in moving to south Florida - I like subtropical weather - but I am really questioning how climate change will begin to affect state expenses and taxes. Here's the latest article on how flooding in Miami is now regular. I hadn't realized that a few lenders have started curtailing 30 year mortgages. I don't see how it is possible for the state NOT to move forward with massively expensive public works to deal with coastal flooding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weat...ing-with-other-factors-regularly-flood-miami/

Yes, I understand that. We all make our choices based on what we think is best for us. But for those of us that don't like/can't tolerate either cold, snowy weather or extreme heat/humidity, it is certainly something worth considering (assuming one has the resources to do it).

That’s the rub, we can’t stand either extreme! Would love 60-80 F and at least partly sunny and low/moderate humidity all year. Don’t know if such a place exits, at least somewhat affordable and continental US.

The subject of moving to Florida is amazing. I was looking on "Quora' and there is a plethora of questions about florida there. My all time favorite, and and example for everyone that wants to discourage people from moving to wherever they live, is this one https://qr.ae/TWvaJ8 Here is the intro, as it is long: " Don't do it. Seriously, Florida requires a certain type of personality that can handle perpetual misery. I grew up near Tampa, in Florida. I mention that I grew up “in Florida" because most people don't know what Florida is. They know what The Beach is, they know what Disney is, but they don't know diddly about the FLA. Florida wants to kill you. It hates you. It hates humans. It wants to return back to the ocean floor."

Big public works program, indeed.

Florida has 8,436 miles of coastline.

That’s the rub, we can’t stand either extreme! Would love 60-80 F and at least partly sunny and low/moderate humidity all year. Don’t know if such a place exits, at least somewhat affordable and continental US.

Perhaps San Diego, but not very affordable.

It doesn't exist in the continental U.S. (as far as I know), which is why quite a few of us adopt the snowbird lifestyle. San Diego might come close (as far as climate), but it's definitely not affordable, at least for people like me.

Pretty much spot on description of Southern California except for the “somewhat affordable” part.

My FIL was just out of high school in the mid 50s (not sure on exact year), but he visited his divorced/remarried father near Orlando on a vacation trip.

His dad took him over to a construction site in the swamps, where 2 large D series caterpillar bulldozers had a large link chain stretched 100 yards between them as they slowly drove forward, keeping pace with each. He was told that each 18" link of the chain weighed about 100#, and that they were pulling out all of the Banyon trees for a future amusement/theme park...Disney.

It doesn't exist in the continental U.S. (as far as I know), which is why quite a few of us adopt the snowbird lifestyle. San Diego might come close (as far as climate), but it's definitely not affordable, at least for people like me.

Yep, that's what we figured. I guess I'm not missing something obvious :D

The weather up here is now wonderful, but I'll be singing a different tune come Jan. Then we'll hit the road. Maybe drags some boats and bikes down south.

Speaking of Orlando, well, no thanks. Doubt I could do the Villages thing either. Surprised how bad traffic was. Not a theme park person.

Have relatives in the area though. Wish they would move to SoCal, southern AZ or at least coastal FL. Would be much more fun. We'd visit for weeks every year.

I just moved to Florida

I retired on March 29 of this year and one month later moved to St. Petersburg, FL. I lived in New York during my working years. Never regretted the move for one second. Aside from no state tax, we have no snow, no cold, no idiot mayor and governor who wants to give free healthcare to people who come to this country illegally (while I worked all my life and have to pay for COBRA). I could go on, but, if you like snow, then by all means stay where you are. It is crowded enough here.

I retired on March 29 of this year and one month later moved to St. Petersburg, FL. I lived in New York during my working years. Never regretted the move for one second. Aside from no state tax, we have no snow, no cold, no idiot mayor and governor who wants to give free healthcare to people who come to this country illegally (while I worked all my life and have to pay for COBRA). I could go on, but, if you like snow, then by all means stay where you are. It is crowded enough here.

Need to change your "location" on your avatar.:D

It would be nice if all members here filled in their location too. It is quite safe you know, we are not about to search you out and TP your homes. :)

Back
Top Bottom