What's with the moving to Florida thing??

I have not been there.... but what I read about it is not at all encouraging.

https://www.focusonmexico.com/noisy-dirty-dangerous-lakeside/

Thanks for the link. Very useful. Makes sense that a foreign country is, well foreign! Fits my own experience was road warrior for Mini-Tech in SE Asia. I never did expat nor do I ever seriously plan to. After the regular "vacation" sensation wore off, I just wanted to do my job and head home. A few folks relished traveling all over the place on their own time before heading home. Not me. I just wanted to avoid food poisoning and looked forward to my first T-bone steak back home. "Man's got to know his limitations..." :D

Mexico is not for everyone. Being an expat is not for everyone. Many that try it are ill-prepared and don't last long.

Many think it will be paradise and they will live a life of extreme luxury on 1K USD a month (ha! those days are long gone). Others are reluctant to embrace (or at least, accept) the local way of life; they don't learn much Spanish, they live in gated communities on the hillsides, they complain about how things are done here and don't understand why locals won't change their ways to accommodate them.

Successful expats come with open minds, a sense of adventure, a sense of humor and a sense of the (sometimes) absurd.

Not all expats come thinking they will stay forever; many come and go after a few years and most of them are happy to have experienced the expat lifestyle for a few years or more.

PS: I'm a her.

Agreed with your bold. Seems like people are in for disappointment if their fantasy is finding a place "just like" home", but much lower COL and better weather.

That’s the rub, we can’t stand either extreme! Would love 60-80 F and at least partly sunny and low/moderate humidity all year. Don’t know if such a place exits, at least somewhat affordable and continental US.

I agree with everyone else about San Diego. I lived in Northern San Diego County (Fallbrook) for a year. Best weather in the country.

Anyone from or know about the Piedmont region of NC ?
From what I read, the weather isn’t too bad and a lot of the storms, whether rain or snow, gets blocked by the Appalachian mountains.

Not as tax friendly as FL, but one choice we are considering.

Round one: Mexico City, versus Baltimore! :p

I have not been to Mexico City. Visited Baltimore many years ago, and only spent time at the Harbor. Do not remember much about it, but I guess the rest of Baltimore is not like that. :)

I have not been to Mexico City. Visited Baltimore many years ago, and only spent time at the Harbor. Do not remember much about it, but I guess the rest of Baltimore is not like that. :)

Like anywhere there are "Bad" parts of Mexico (Including Mexico City), but are easily avoided. One thing Mexico has is less access to Legal implements of destruction, so that fear is somewhat mitigated. Common sense does prevail as it does anywhere.

On a Similar subject, Colombia is also a lot better, I have been there a lot, including the sad times. No longer does one need to live in fear of getting kidnapped for ransom. Bogota is a lot nicer than it used to be, Cali is beautiful and my preference, even El Chapo's old haunts are pleasant now. Seems that those places are getting better and the US is getting worse.

Last edited:

They do a pretty good job of keeping the Harbor area looking nice, but even it's not totally safe from violence, especially as the evening fades into night. But, no, a good deal of Baltimore is pretty bad. There are some areas that are on the mend, but a lot of other areas that are falling into decay. On some streets, it'll get so bad that a whole row of houses will be abandoned, except for one or two residents. The city will pay to relocate them, and then just raze the whole block.

As a whole though, Baltimore is losing population. And the homicide rate is running around 55-60 per 100K of population. Most of it is confined to bad neighborhoods, and it tends to be drug violence, gang violence, robberies gone wrong, that type of stuff. By and large, they don't target innocent people, although they do get caught in the crossfire.

I was in Baltimore about 5 weeks ago. No problems, but it was during the day, and I was in the better neighborhoods, for the most part.

Like anywhere there are "Bad" parts of Mexico (Including Mexico City), but are easily avoided. One thing Mexico has is less access to Legal implements of destruction, so that fear is somewhat mitigated. Common sense does prevail as it does anywhere.

On a Similar subject, Colombia is also a lot better, I have been there a lot, including the sad times. No longer does one need to live in fear of getting kidnapped for ransom. Bogota is a lot nicer than it used to be, Cali is beautiful and my preference, even El Chapo's old haunts are pleasant now. Seems that those places are getting better and the US is getting worse.

After the two mass shootings in El Paso and Ohio this past weekend, I saw that Venezuela issued a travel alert to its citizens to the U.S.A.:LOL:

I agree with everyone else about San Diego. I lived in Northern San Diego County (Fallbrook) for a year. Best weather in the country.

Anyone from or know about the Piedmont region of NC ?
From what I read, the weather isn’t too bad and a lot of the storms, whether rain or snow, gets blocked by the Appalachian mountains.

Not as tax friendly as FL, but one choice we are considering.

That is true...& we are far enough inland that hurricanes aren't a problem..still gets pretty warm here...100 degree (F) days are possible July through early September...several years ago we had a stretch of them in early June.

^^^^^ Interesting Article, thanks. Seems Miami will get more expensive as the years go on for sure, This may price a lot of the residents further north. People will also need to move inland no doubt.

One think I noticed, maybe insignificant, I wonder how much or even if all those boats being added have an affect on the rise of water.

The subject of moving to Florida is amazing. I was looking on "Quora' and there is a plethora of questions about florida there. My all time favorite, and and example for everyone that wants to discourage people from moving to wherever they live, is this one https://qr.ae/TWvaJ8 Here is the intro, as it is long: " Don't do it. Seriously, Florida requires a certain type of personality that can handle perpetual misery. I grew up near Tampa, in Florida. I mention that I grew up “in Florida" because most people don't know what Florida is. They know what The Beach is, they know what Disney is, but they don't know diddly about the FLA. Florida wants to kill you. It hates you. It hates humans. It wants to return back to the ocean floor."

That's pretty funny, and amazingly accurate. I've often told my wife that everything in FL either has teeth, thorns, or poison, and it all wants to kill you.

Fire ants in the grass, wild hogs and snakes in woods, unpredictable tourist and geriatric drivers, hurricanes, sharks in the sea, gators in the fresh water or crossing between lakes at night, massive rains penetrating roofs, ghost ants and inch worms in house, mold, corrupt trades, exploitive second home property tax, expensive flood insurance,

All manageable and worth it

B'more has a few really nice sections with attractive old architecture. Then there are large swaths where you instinctively lock your car doors while driving through. In that, it is much like other good-sized cities I have visited.

Living in Florida is so depressing. I am already getting depressed just thinking about this coming January.

I will be sitting poolside with the warm sunshine on my face. Watching my sweetgrandkids splashing, giggling. Eating dinner at wonderful outside restaurants, playing tennis on beautiful clay courts. Sitting poolside enjoying a glass of Cabernet.

Gosh... Florida is a pit. So depressing.

That's pretty funny, and amazingly accurate. I've often told my wife that everything in FL either has teeth, thorns, or poison, and it all wants to kill you.

Heh. I thought that was Australia.

To each their own, but I've never really understood the draw to Florida. OK, no snow and no income tax, but to me it's too flat, too humid, too many bugs and hurricanes. But again, different folks, different priorities. If I could afford to maintain two households, sure, wintering in Florida might be a good thing (lower humidity, fewer bugs, not hurricane season) but I couldn't bear the thought of living there from about June through October.

Last edited:
Living in Florida is so depressing. I am already getting depressed just thinking about this coming January.

I will be sitting poolside with the warm sunshine on my face. Watching my sweetgrandkids splashing, giggling. Eating dinner at wonderful outside restaurants, playing tennis on beautiful clay courts. Sitting poolside enjoying a glass of Cabernet.

Gosh... Florida is a pit. So depressing.

Yeah, DW and I had a terrible time down in Florida last winter. We were there from late December through early April, and the weather was really boring.......sunny and in the 70s most days (80s in March and April), not very humid, no variety at all. I kept looking at the TV weather reports from back home (Michigan), and really missing all of the snow, ice, and slush.......that stuff is so much fun to play in! The polar vortex in January (and again in February) added some nice variety up north, too (along with the freezing rain in February). And of course all of those clouds all the time helped to block that annoying sun. I'm going back to Florida again this winter, but I'm not really sure why.........:)

Yeah, DW and I had a terrible time down in Florida last winter. We were there from late December through early April, and the weather was really boring.......sunny and in the 70s most days (80s in March and April), not very humid, no variety at all. I kept looking at the TV weather reports from back home (Michigan), and really missing all of the snow, ice, and slush.......that stuff is so much fun to play in! The polar vortex in January (and again in February) added some nice variety up north, too (along with the freezing rain in February). And of course all of those clouds all the time helped to block that annoying sun. I'm going back to Florida again this winter, but I'm not really sure why.........:)

You are just a glutton for punishment. Of course, you are from that state up north....lol. Go Buckeyes.

After MD summers of 95-100 degrees F., with 99 % humidity, the FL daily summer forecast of 88-92 does not seem so dire.

We just moved into a used house, and are having things serviced that "passed inspection," but aren't really in great shape. The a/c tech was telling me about people who are calling in like it's an emergency, saying they are "dying" because their a/c went out. Heck, it's only 90 degrees! Open a darn window!

Ha Ha, Yes, assuming you spend your days rolling around in the swamps.

Well, I do, a lot of the time. They are a big reason I like living in FL. Especially Bird Rookery Swamp. There are definitely all three out there.

But just going out and picking a lime or lemon off our trees involves avoiding 2 inch long thorns. And the pretty purple oleander growing down in the bed beneath them is pretty poisonous.

I've been in Florida for the past 33 years. I'm anxious to retire and move out of the state.

Interesting... Where do you live in Florida and where would you move to? -- Do you know it snows up North? A Lot !:LOL:

Oh, I know about snow. I was born in Massachusetts. Except for a brief stint of living in California between the ages of 2 to 5, I lived in Massachusetts until I was 18. A few months after graduating high school I moved with my family to Central East Coast Florida. Eau Gallie/Melbourne. I then moved to Hollywood, FL and then the Florida Keys for a time. Spent a little time in the Bahamas by virtue of a boat I was working on out of Ft. Lauderdale. I then moved back to the area just south of where my parents lived. I've been in the Palm Bay, Vero Beach, Fellsmere, Sebastian areas for the past 27 years.

My days of SCUBA diving, gator hunting, and salt water fishing are behind me. I wish I had learned to surf, but too late now for me to think of taking that up.

I'm close to retiring. As of now I'm planning on moving to East Tennessee. Somewhere around the Cumberland Plateau.

I'm close to retiring. As of now I'm planning on moving to East Tennessee. Somewhere around the Cumberland Plateau.

I lived in Florida for 3 years and moved back to Minnesota (when I was not allergic to winter :LOL: - in my 20s) -- Now, I have to snowbird for 3 months or I'll go crazy. Even North Florida in the winter is a bit cold for me now.

Can I ask, why you are leaving Florida?

Back
Top Bottom