Where do you find winter rentals?

garyt

Full time employment: Posting here.
Any sites that advertise winter rentals in 55+ communities? I know of VRBO and such but it's hard to search 55+ communities only. Very few show up. Someone posted sites where owners offer rentals to The Villages and that's what I'm looking for, something where owners have their own site, or something similar. I've looked at individual communities web pages but they don't seem to have anything in regard to rentals. Looking mainly at Florida and Arizona.

Any sites that advertise winter rentals in 55+ communities? I know of VRBO and such but it's hard to search 55+ communities only. Very few show up. Someone posted sites where owners offer rentals to The Villages and that's what I'm looking for, something where owners have their own site, or something similar. I've looked at individual communities web pages but they don't seem to have anything in regard to rentals. Looking mainly at Florida and Arizona.

(I'm a FL snowbird and own my own place, fwiw.) I do see a LOT of realtors who handle seasonal rentals around here. Perhaps contact a large realty company physically near The Villages or other communities in which you are interested and ask about 55+ seasonal rentals.

I also see seasonal rentals pop up in my real estate searches (realtor.com or "xyz neighborhood" real estate for sale), when I'm curious to see which condos in my community are for sale and what they are asking for them.

If you have an "in" with someone in the community in which are interested, there's often a physical community bulletin board (some communities also have virtual bulletin boards) where people post their units for rent.

omni

(I'm a FL snowbird and own my own place, fwiw.) I do see a LOT of realtors who handle seasonal rentals around here. Perhaps contact a large realty company physically near The Villages or other communities in which you are interested and ask about 55+ seasonal rentals.

I also see seasonal rentals pop up in my real estate searches (realtor.com or "xyz neighborhood" real estate for sale), when I'm curious to see which condos in my community are for sale and what they are asking for them.

If you have an "in" with someone in the community in which are interested, there's often a physical community bulletin board (some communities also have virtual bulletin boards) where people post their units for rent.

omni

That's kind of what I was looking for, virtual community bulletin boards or sites where owners get together to list properties. VRBO and Airbnb don't have filters for 55+ communities.

Gary,
I used VRBO the first year.

It looks like better deals can be had on the community bulliten boards in the community I live in.

If you are eyeing a specific community, you might consider calling their office if that number is available.

Good luck.

A comment:
Going through the rental process was another incentive to buy a place for me.
I do meet people who have been renting from the same owners for years, so if you find a nice setup, that would be ideal.

Florida Seasonal Rentals

This is a very relevant topic for me. I have been looking to rent a condo in Florida for Jan and Feb, 2022 and have literally sent at least 50 requests through VRBO, Snowbird and Florida Rentals. I had about 5 responses and they tell me their property has already been rented. The rest don't even bother to respond. In talking with a few of the owners I learned that they don't like to post on VRBO because the fees are so high but they will use it in the off season when no one wants to visit. Also, if they are renting for Jan, Feb and Mar they give the current renters right of first refusal. It's frustrating and I have just about given up trying to find a place for 2022. You might want to try some of the sites in a couple of weeks when they determine if current renters are coming back.

Last edited:
Google search “snowbird condo rental specials” in any popular southern coastal city like Destin FL or Pensacola etc. You can find condo owners or building offices representing groups of condo owners renting between November to March for a month or more at 1/3 to 1/2 the rate during prime season. I rent a condo right on the beach for $1650/month with private beach and heated pool. I originally found my condo rental 4 years ago on VRBO, but while there the snowbird renters told me about their special rental rate and the next year I rented a different unit from an owner for 5 weeks st the cost I rented the year before for just 12 days. Next year will be my fifth year in the same building, same condo unit as this year. I’ve gone as long as 2 months, but lately stay 6 weeks Feb thru mid March. Each year I get right of first refusal for the next year and sign a rental contract for the following year before I leave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom