Widow

I dunno. Bruce Wayne seemed to have a pretty nice setup.

Superheros hardly ever get the girl. And if they do it only lasts until she realized that her kids will probably be blown up by some terrorist, genius criminal mastermind or evil alien. It's just a matter of time. Then she's out of there.

I did.

That's life in these modern times!

Me too.....the screed I glanced at reminded me of a story one of the guys I hung around with in Toronto in the late 1960s told.

Among other things he'd fought in the Congo as a merc, been a supply teacher in rough Toronto schools, and went to Oz with a buddy to get an advanced degree.

They figured the professor in one course knew zip, so they prepared a joint paper of absolute gibberish.

At one point one of them read a page to the other and said "What's that supposed to mean?" The other guy replied "I don't know, it's one of the pages you wrote".

They got an A or an A+.

I don't even know what this means.
Again, naive.
My new woman friend's friend was worried about her getting hurt in our new relationship.
I later joked with her that I was the naive one who might not know what I'm getting into.
Kind of funny.
JP
I seriously doubt it's the first one. (You don't also hang out on forums where they talk about Chads and Staceys and Beckys, do you? [emoji23]

My personal observation has been that men, assuming they're not absolutely repulsive, only go without a partner because they don't really want one.

Yes, but the difficult part is finding the RIGHT partner. I could have been remarried within a year or so of my divorce, but it took about 5 years to find the woman that I knew was right for me.

Yes, but the difficult part is finding the RIGHT partner. I could have been remarried within a year or so of my divorce, but it took about 5 years to find the woman that I knew was right for me.

+1

Getting dates is easy. Find the right partner is tough. Oh well, live and learn. I
In any case, most women don't seem to want to get married again. Or maybe I just don't trigger those Wedding Bell Blues hormones. :confused:

Gosh, that woman can sing!

Last edited:
I'm very sorry for your loss, and happy you have found someone to share with.

I got emotional reading your post. Two of my best friends died in the past 2 years, and we have been trying to be supportive of both of their widows. Whether it's helping them with a chore at their house, texting them on holidays, or inviting them over for a gathering or dinner...we do what we can. I feel bad for them. I miss my friends, but they were their wives...and I'm sure they miss them even more since they spent every day with them.

I pray for your continued happiness...and I'm sure your lost wife is glad you are moving on at your own pace.

My personal observation has been that men, assuming they're not absolutely repulsive, only go without a partner because they don't really want one.

I'm glad someone else observes this besides me. I wasn't sure if a bias was affecting my observation.

2nd chance

I lost my wife of 50 plus years and my new wife lost her husband 0f 40 plus years. We’re into our 70’s and after long and successful marriages, have found a new level of happiness. Travel, adventure, golf & sailing make this second chance seem like a dream. I heartily recommend taking the chance of a new beginning if you have the heart.

Advice from a friend of mine to a recent widower. "Don't fall for the first good casserole that comes through the door!

So funny. I have actually heard the word "casseroling" used as a verb. Describing the old ladies converging on the widower with stuff he probably doesn't even like to eat. Me, I'd cook a guy a steak.

Advice from a friend of mine to a recent widower. "Don't fall for the first good casserole that comes through the door!

Amethyst,
I was occasionally inviting my long time lady friend over for nice dinners, because I enjoy cooking, and I hate making a beautiful meal, and then eating it alone.

My favorite meal is a spicy shrimp linguini recipe that I basically made up. She really likes it too. Add a bottle of wine, and a nice evening out on the patio, it made for a perfect evening.

In hindsight, maybe I was the casserole winning her over. We were just buddies hanging out together at the time.

JP
So funny. I have actually heard the word "casseroling" used as a verb. Describing the old ladies converging on the widower with stuff he probably doesn't even like to eat. Me, I'd cook a guy a steak.

Personally I think that people who "break the mold" in cool ways like this (the "mold" in this case being the woman always preparing the food) are the most interesting people.

Amethyst,
I was occasionally inviting my long time lady friend over for nice dinners, because I enjoy cooking, and I hate making a beautiful meal, and then eating it alone.

My favorite meal is a spicy shrimp linguini recipe that I basically made up. She really likes it too. Add a bottle of wine, and a nice evening out on the patio, it made for a perfect evening.

In hindsight, maybe I was the casserole winning her over. We were just buddies hanging out together at the time.

JP

Personally I think that people who "break the mold" in cool ways like this (the "mold" in this case being the woman always preparing the food) are the most interesting people.

I think the mold, if not broken, is already pretty well cracked. :D

I love to cook, having learned from my mother who was an excellent cook. However, I have never casseroled a woman to try and get into her sphere of interest. I need to try that some day. ;)

IIRC, we have a number of men here who cook on a regular basis. The times they are a changin'.

Chuckanut,
I learned how to cook, because I love food, and I liked making what I enjoy eating.
My father also cooked, so it seemed normal.

My wife was a good cook, but gladly let me take over primary duties of grocery shopping, cooking and dishes.

She worked full time too, it would be unreasonable to expect her to be June Cleaver when she got home.

My father in law was old school, and also an ass. He couldn't/wouldn't even make himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Almost like a child.

He was offered and shocked when we had her family over for a Thanksgiving dinner, and I was doing the cooking. Whatever.

JP
I think the mold, if not broken, is already pretty well cracked. :D

I love to cook, having learned from my mother who was an excellent cook. However, I have never casseroled a woman to try and get into her sphere of interest. I need to try that some day. ;)

IIRC, we have a number of men here who cook on a regular basis. The times they are a changin'.

My cooking is . . . adequate. However, I am a first-rate scullery maid.

My step mother gets almost embarrassed when I turn into her scullery maid if she cooks the family a meal.
I think she has learned to enjoy it now. She still tells me to leave the dishes, knowing that isn't going to happen.
Kind of fun spoiling her.
My cooking is . . . adequate. However, I am a first-rate scullery maid.

I think we need more people, of both sexes, with this kindly and generous attitude.

My step mother gets almost embarrassed when I turn into her scullery maid if she cooks the family a meal.
I think she has learned to enjoy it now. She still tells me to leave the dishes, knowing that isn't going to happen.
Kind of fun spoiling her.

I love to buy the groceries and do all the cooking, while DW will only cook a meal if she has to. She doesn't mind cleaning up in the kitchen afterward, though.

OTOH, apart from an occasional loaf of bread or batch of NYC style bagels, I'm utterly hopeless at baking, while she is a virtuoso cookie maker. So we're quite happy with our setup.

My father in law was old school, and also an ass. He couldn't/wouldn't even make himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Almost like a child.

:LOL: That brought back memories; Toronto maybe 50 years ago - my first wife and I were at a party and got talking to a girl who did two jobs, (she'd just finished work and dropped in on her way home).

Her husband, (I remember he was a photographer), would wait, no matter how hungry, until she came home and made him food.

Me...I'd shared accommodation with bunches of guys for years, and if you didn't/couldn't/wouldn't participate in food prep or cleanup, (we actually had nobody like that), I guess you'd go out or starve.

Hmm - 13 years in ER before the first one passed, 7 years single, and now 7 years hitched and counting.

Not to mention 1000 miles inland post Katrina - on a hill.

Heh heh heh - unplanned events are unplanned events. Right now wing flapping happy. :cool: ;)

Wing flapping happy.

Working on this Uncle Mick. Sounds like a good plan. I think I'm on the right track.

JP
Hmm - 13 years in ER before the first one passed, 7 years single, and now 7 years hitched and counting.

Not to mention 1000 miles inland post Katrina - on a hill.

Heh heh heh - unplanned events are unplanned events. Right now wing flapping happy. :cool: ;)

Back
Top Bottom