Your purpose/mission after FIRE?

I realize I'm an odd duck on this subject but I never understood the need to have a purpose in life other than to enjoy as much of it while one can.

A few years ago I posted the following reply on this forum. I young person was wondering what to do with his new-found free time.

"...I can think of a few ways to fight off the ennui:
Find a nice beach town in Italy. Sleep till 10. Quiet breakfast and cappuccino in town. Beach until 3. A nap. A cool shower.

Meet some new-found friends around 9-10PM for drinks and dinner al-fresco. Bed by 2AM every night.

Maybe work a few hours a week in a small Nice art gallery; meet some interesting people; maybe find a nice girl who's last name starts with "de" or "von" who's similarly inclined. (Make sure she's telling the truth when she says she's not married)..."

I realize I'm an odd duck on this subject but I never understood the need to have a purpose in life other than to enjoy as much of it while one can.

+1

After 61 years of hard work and delayed gratification, my purpose during the past 12 years has been to cash in on said delayed gratification. In other words, to get all the well deserved enjoyment possible out of what life I have left.

I would have a couple of words for anyone who don't approve, but those couple of words are not very polite or appropriate for this well mannered message board. :)

+1

After 61 years of hard work and delayed gratification, my purpose during the past 12 years has been to cash in on said delayed gratification. In other words, to get all the well deserved enjoyment possible out of what life I have left.

Agree 100%. Life is too short.

In my particular case, my 'hard work' was actually a lot of fun so my RE was more of an extension of an already good life

Last edited:
You’ve been gone two years. Have you let go your profession fully and, if so, was it difficult?

I was a psychologist, and that's a hard one to let go completely, because it colors how you think, how you manage your inner life, how you relate to other people. It sort of becomes a part of you. So, certain parts of it are embedded in me, and I don't think they are going away.

But throwing off the professional role itself -- hell yeah, I did that as soon as I could. It was like taking off a suit and tie, and putting on jeans and t-shirt. I felt like I could relax and be my complete self. No more concerns about Being Professional. I loved being free of that. That happened immediately. In fact, it was happening before I left.

If I look at my writing, I can see myself transition from the style I cultivated in my career (neutral, objective, dry) to a more personal and conversational style. That took about a year.

So, in terms of letting go, I'd say that some pieces fell off right away, others took longer to fall away, and some are still with me.

Last edited:
"I realize I'm an odd duck on this subject but I never understood the need to have a purpose in life other than to enjoy as much of it while one can."

Yeah Baby!

That is my purpose throughout my entire life.

To do as much as I want to do, to do what I need to do to finance the first and to do as little as possible of what the boss would like me to do.

I was a psychologist, and that's a hard one to let go completely, because it colors how you think, how you manage your inner life, how you relate to other people. It sort of becomes a part of you. So, certain parts of it are embedded in me, and I don't think they are going away.

But throwing off the professional role itself -- hell yeah, I did that as soon as I could. It was like taking off a suit and tie, and putting on jeans and t-shirt. I felt like I could relax and be my complete self. No more concerns about Being Professional. I loved being free of that. That happened immediately. In fact, it was happening before I left.

If I look at my writing, I can see myself transition from the style I cultivated in my career (neutral, objective, dry) to a more personal and conversational style. That took about a year.

So, in terms of letting go, I'd say that some pieces fell off right away, others took longer to fall away, and some are still with me.

bolds mine.
I think this is true for a lot of professional people. I certainly was for me. It took me over 2 years to 'be me' and not some inner image of how I was 'supposed' be/act/react.

I was 30 when I went to law school and 33 when I started practicing, so I never really inhabited the persona of "lawyer". In my mind, I was always the submarine officer and nuclear engineer of my 20s. So it was not difficult at all for me to leave the law behind when I retired, even though I did it for 27 years. Now, I'm just a guy who grows vegetables, does odd jobs around the house and, in better days, sings tenor in the choir. To paraphrase a really great man, "the world will little note nor long remember what I have done here."

Sorry to disappoint most planners here.. but life has no purpose and no meaning. At least no more purpose than ants digging holes and moving dirt from one spot to another on earth.

Human life on earth is like a microscopic dot on timelines of earth and universe. It's fairy-tale and make-believe to put purpose in life.

Having said that.. one should try to stay physically active as much as possible. It keeps mind off of the reality of universe.

I have been dedicating the lion's share of my now 6 months of RE life to learning the guitar and singing. It's been a focus for about 10 years now, but my time spent has gone from about 10 hours/week to 40 hours/week post retirement. Luckily I greatly enjoy the journey because the destination to where I want to be as far as a minimal skill set is still a long way off :)

Sorry to disappoint most planners here.. but life has no purpose and no meaning. At least no more purpose than ants digging holes and moving dirt from one spot to another on earth.

Human life on earth is like a microscopic dot on timelines of earth and universe. It's fairy-tale and make-believe to put purpose in life.

Having said that.. one should try to stay physically active as much as possible. It keeps mind off of the reality of universe.

"Life is empty and meaningless. And it is empty and meaningless that life is empty and meaningless."

We invent our own meaning. One doesn't find a purpose. One creates a purpose. And one can choose to not create a purpose or a meaning. But just go and smell the roses and enjoy the sunshine.

For me, that is the reason for FIRE. To not have someone else's purpose in life forced onto my life. To choose my own meanings, day by day, moment by moment.

"Life is empty and meaningless. And it is empty and meaningless that life is empty and meaningless."

We invent our own meaning. One doesn't find a purpose. One creates a purpose. And one can choose to not create a purpose or a meaning. But just go and smell the roses and enjoy the sunshine.

For me, that is the reason for FIRE. To not have someone else's purpose in life forced onto my life. To choose my own meanings, day by day, moment by moment.

I've often wondered does everything matter or does nothing matter.

bolds mine.
I think this is true for a lot of professional people. I certainly was for me. It took me over 2 years to 'be me' and not some inner image of how I was 'supposed' be/act/react.

Yes, although just to clarify, with the bolded bit, I was referring to things I want to keep as a part of who I am, not to "some inner image of how I was supposed to be/act." For instance, my work taught me a lot about myself and other people. It made me a better, wiser, more open and aware person. I don't want those aspects to go away.

As for the "image of how I was supposed to be," yes, I relate to that. I mentioned that when I talked about shucking off the constraints of the professional role -- all the role requirements about how you're supposed to Be Professional -- think, speak, feel, and act in a certain way.

I gladly and rapidly threw all that off. In fact, I started throwing it off before my actual retirement date arrived, which probably got under the skin of some of my colleagues. I took some joy in expressing my freedom, maybe flaunting it a bit. I was like a man wearing a three-piece suit, wanting to get out of it, stripping down to his skivvies but unable to wait until he's out the door to do it...

Last edited:

This is an interesting post. While objectively true, it's a bit like saying that your feelings and mood are nothing but chemical reactions of atoms and molecules inside your brain. This is also true - however it doesn't take away from the fact that said feelings and mood are very real, significant and impactful to you (and others around you).

This is an interesting post. While objectively true, it's a bit like saying that your feelings and mood are nothing but chemical reactions of atoms and molecules inside your brain. This is also true - however it doesn't take away from the fact that said feelings and mood are very real, significant and impactful to you (and others around you).

Well, neither of those statements are "objectively true." They come out of philosophical positions or worldviews. They are expressions of materialism -- the idea that we are nothing but the constituent physical parts of our bodies, which are the result of random chance, existing in a universe devoid or meaning or purpose. It goes hand in hand with atheism, moral relativism and subjectivism.

But materialism is just one possible philosophy or worldview. In my opinion, it's not a good philosophy, nor is it true or even particularly coherent.

Everyone is entitled to their own worldview, though, of course. I don't think this is the place to debate it, so I'll stop there. But I had to at least voice an objection to the notion that these things are "objectively true." I think they're false.

Last edited:
Sex, drugs and rock & roll!

Couple of my favorite books about life's meaning and purpose: The Great Work of Your Life by Stephen Cope and Nature and the Human Soul by Bill Plotkin. Deep dives if you're inclined to go there.

Dear community,

What mission/purpose have you found after reaching FIRE? I'm hoping to find inspiration and advice from you.

I think I need to find a new life purpose or at least a goal to strive for - and I could imagine that some of you might have been in the same position as me, feeling a bit lost on what to do next.

Looking forward to to hear from you all.

Thanks.

Find the love of your life, get married, and have kids. Life will become richer than you ever imagined. And then you can look forward to having grandkids.

30 is far too young to retire just because you have struck lucky with the financial aspects. It would not be a surprise if the OP returned to work at some stage in the near future. Retirement is more about leaving work after a long shift to enjoy your golden years with “me time”.

Yeah, 30 is awfully young, and I'm not surprised he's asking the meaning/purpose question.

It's a good question, though. We focus a lot on money here, but it's wise to focus on the Big Questions from time to time.

My purpose is to enjoy every day. My mission is to have the money needed to do that.

30 is far too young to retire just because you have struck lucky with the financial aspects. It would not be a surprise if the OP returned to work at some stage in the near future.
Nothing wrong with taking time away to travel, work on personal projects, or just sit on a beach and returning to work later.

Back
Top Bottom