Why do people think we’re/I’m crazy? Lol

I was doing some early morning yard work today when a neighbor walked over to ask why I didn't hire it out like he does. I told him I'm retired and it's something I don't mind doing this time of the year.(I do when it gets hot) He's 72 and still works part time just to give himself something to do. He looks like he barely gets around so working probably helps fill his day since he can't play golf or participate in physical activities.

Whatever floats your boat. Many have reasons to continue working. I get very few questions now days about my early retirement. Probably because I look like an old retiree. :LOL:

I recall, eons ago, visiting a couples' house......they might just as well have had stanchions and velvet ropes delineating the 'no go' areas....which was pretty much everywhere.

I bet they don't put up the stanchions and velvet ropes for every visitor. But, I'll tell ya' I find the de-lousing machines in the driveway humiliating.

I recall, eons ago, visiting a couples' house......they might just as well have had stanchions and velvet ropes delineating the 'no go' areas....which was pretty much everywhere.

We went to a party at at a McMansion type house years back for one of our kids' events. The host family had all these formal rooms that were kept dark but squeezed ~60 people in the family room and kitchen. I thought if they aren't using those extra rooms when they are hosting a party for 60+ people when would they ever use them?

WE love to have people over so no part of our house is off limits. We downsized to 1400 sq ft so can't have as many people for a sit down dinner as in the past. But in summer we have 2 patios and can have a ton of people then. I like my house to be nice but I am not obsessive over it. People come to see me and not the house.

I'm not sure people think I'm crazy but some of my old friends seem very quite around me. My ER didn't make me feel real good about myself because not many even talked to me about it. Some of us worked together for 30 plus years.

It really doesn't matter now I don't make any effort to see them and they don't make any effort to see me either. I can tell you that your identity in the world does change and people may look at you that you like you are crazy. LOL

I “unretired” 9 months ago. Not a day goes by when some two or three colleagues come up to me and say, “I thought you retired!” My reasons are financial and helping out an understaffed situation. But what do you say when someone says that? It’s not a question. It’s not a conversation starter. I feel laughed at. I’m doing a lot of good for my family and the hospital and I get laughed at. Yet so many don’t know I’m an unsung hero in the department because of the work I did when I was retired, creating computer templates for the new EMR and orienting new physicians to my old job.

Do I regret it? Sometimes. But I like going a couple more years without dipping in the portfolio, adding a new roof and solar this year.

I regret it most when people make inane comments and I have too much work.

I was doing some early morning yard work today when a neighbor walked over to ask why I didn't hire it out like he does. I told him I'm retired and it's something I don't mind doing this time of the year.(I do when it gets hot) He's 72 and still works part time just to give himself something to do. He looks like he barely gets around so working probably helps fill his day since he can't play golf or participate in physical activities.

Whatever floats your boat. Many have reasons to continue working. I get very few questions now days about my early retirement. Probably because I look like an old retiree. :LOL:

Yeah, well at least he doesn't try to hire you like my neighbors. I swear they hire someone to take the trash dumpster back and forth to the street. Meanwhile I bet they're wondering when the real owner of our house is coming back.

I think about the house thing all the time! Mostly because I have most of my fondest childhood memories from my grandparents house, which was a double wide trailer on 1 acre. Every family gathering was held there. I’d stay there for weeks at a time over the summer and LOVED it. I just recently brought those memories into perspective after not living up to the social status norm anymore, personally. I, however, live in brand new house on 2 acres that I bought 4 years ago for $420k at perfect market timing (unintentionally). My equity has since grown substantially (I owe 280k and home value is roughly $650k) and I enjoy the large lot for training my dog and shooting my bow. I used to let the thought of the “extravagant” purchase bring down. But after close analysis, I truly enjoy it. I pay about 8k in interest per year after tax deduction and pay $600 towards principle currently. So I look at it as costing me 8k a year for actually happiness, and the home value is growing more than that each year (currently). Thoughts on my way of thinking?

The house thing should not be underestimated. I have noticed many 50+ hanging on because of the future house. For mortgage, something bigger, dream home, etc. Many reasons.

+1, however, it's not just the house thing.
Many, many newcomers to this site give the "I have to work for health insurance" thing. There are plenty of options, between ACA, faith based groups and others, yet some still seem to want something that is guaranteed in the future.

No guarantees out there kids. Just dive in.

I, however, live in brand new house on 2 acres that I bought 4 years ago for $420k at perfect market timing (unintentionally). My equity has since grown substantially (I owe 280k and home value is roughly $650k) and I enjoy the large lot for training my dog and shooting my bow. I used to let the thought of the “extravagant” purchase bring down. But after close analysis, I truly enjoy it. I pay about 8k in interest per year after tax deduction and pay $600 towards principle currently. So I look at it as costing me 8k a year for actually happiness, and the home value is growing more than that each year (currently). Thoughts on my way of thinking?
Hey, we each spend money as we see fit. Plenty of folks feel the same way you do, but they still want to RE and cannot. That is where the big house payment comes into play. If you can afford it, and don't want RE, great. If you are RE and can afford it, great. It's those who cannot afford to RE and still have the big payment that frustrate many on this forum, IMO.

It's all relative. We have a rental payment which appears to be larger than what is typical on this site for those who rent, but it is over 40% less than our previous HCOL rental costs, so it works for us at least for now.

Yeah, well at least he doesn't try to hire you like my neighbors. I swear they hire someone to take the trash dumpster back and forth to the street. Meanwhile I bet they're wondering when the real owner of our house is coming back.

We must have the same neighbors. There is always at least one 'workman' over there.

We must have the same neighbors. There is always at least one 'workman' over there.

Same here. In my neighborhood, M-F is a stampede of white vans and pickup trucks with trailers containing landscaping supplies. And the next door neighbors do in fact have someone take their trash to the curb. Ridiculous!

Many, many newcomers to this site give the "I have to work for health insurance" thing. There are plenty of options, between ACA, faith based groups and others, yet some still seem to want something that is guaranteed in the future.

Right. There's just ONE guarantee, so get living your best life now while you have it.

“I thought you retired!” My reasons are financial and helping out an understaffed situation. But what do you say when someone says that?

You could borrow from SecDef James "Mad Dog" Mattis: "I flunked retirement." (near the end of this video, but really watch the whole thing it is darling)

For the here and now, the ACA plans in my area don't do it for me at all. The networks positively stink.

If one has ongoing chronic health concerns, this can become quite an important decision. I will cut them a break.

I'm not so sure about plenty of options for healthcare in the U.S., especially for families with pre-existing conditions. Many of us have or will have pre-existing conditions by the time we reach 65 and can go on Medicare. The future of ACA subsidies are uncertain and faith based healthcare sharing is not insurance. The year before the ACA policies went into effect we spent around $50K in premiums, out of network costs, deductibles, etc. on family healthcare with a lousy COBRA conversion policy.

There will always be some people who will poo hoo your thoughts on this. This is because they are envious. Envious of your plan and your ability to execute. It contrasts poorly with the person who has no plan, let alone does have the discipline to stick with it and/or make changes as needed.
In my experience, the average person wants to get through the day without getting any bruises (mentally), and so is very far from setting goals for their own future. You have to put your ego on the line to get ahead!

So true.

Don't be afraid of failure. It is a learning step on the way to success.

I “unretired” 9 months ago. Not a day goes by when some two or three colleagues come up to me and say, “I thought you retired!” My reasons are financial and helping out an understaffed situation. But what do you say when someone says that? It’s not a question. It’s not a conversation starter. I feel laughed at. I’m doing a lot of good for my family and the hospital and I get laughed at. Yet so many don’t know I’m an unsung hero in the department because of the work I did when I was retired, creating computer templates for the new EMR and orienting new physicians to my old job.

Do I regret it? Sometimes. But I like going a couple more years without dipping in the portfolio, adding a new roof and solar this year.

I regret it most when people make inane comments and I have too much work.

You say, with a laugh, that the hospital couldn't get along without you and you are finishing up work that you were doing at home for the hospital. I can't believe that your colleagues would even say something to you. It's not anyone's business but yours.

Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I tried to stay in contact. I quickly discovered there is a HUGE difference to a co-worker and a friend. Civility in the work place shouldn't be confused with true friendship. After a year, I realized I was the only one making the contact, so I decided I'd wait to hear back from anyone. Never did.

From my experience, I'm not sure this is just a co-worker/friend dichotomy. DW and I have found that most of our friends won't take ANY initiative to create a social gathering. Of course, most of our friends have a bit of a tendency toward introversion. So, we have had to be the organizer in nearly all of our friend relationships. Sometimes DW can get a little bitter about that. Of course, if I had to initiate social interactions I would never see anyone either.

Certainly rings true with me. We had a couple friend leave the area and ran a similar experience. No contact unless I initiated. Ex work friends not a single in bound call from them.

I ran into a guy from my company at an offsite meeting the other day. We are about the same age. I think he is actually 2-3 years closer to 59.5 than I am. I mentioned retirement and he looked at me with a blank stare and eventually said "why?". Further into the conversation he mentioned his wife is a financial planner. I left it at that. Some people just don't.won't get it.

On another string a few weeks ago, kcowan posted a quote by the actor Gary Oldman, “What other people think about me is none of my business.” I read that and the simple profundity of it stopped my in my tracks. I Googled it and it turns out a lot of people have said it. I can’t say I’ve attained it fully but it is an excellent dictum for an early retiree. I know that I have even close friends who have no concept of FIRE, so I’ve stopped mentioning it.

Once you pull it off, their thinking will change from "Are you crazy?" to "Wish I can retire! " when they see how carefree you are.

It's funny how our society today raves about diversity --Celebrate Diversity!!! :clap::dance::clap::dance:

But apparently it's ok to be diverse only in certain ways. If you're not spendin' and trendin' and workin' never-endin', then the frowns you'll be gettin'!

It's funny how our society today raves about diversity --Celebrate Diversity!!! :clap::dance::clap::dance:

But apparently it's ok to be diverse only in certain ways. If you're not spendin' and trendin' and workin' never-endin', then the frowns you'll be gettin'!

Only if you’re looking for that. My first attempt at early retirement was met with universal envy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom