Ignoring subscribed threads

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just a comment. I'm not sure the way this should work, but I thought I would point it out.

I put a thread I was subscribed to on Ignore, but it's still showing up. I'm sure the solution is to unsubscribe, then ignore, but it seemed to me that it should have been a one click solution. If that's what you administrators think too, then this is a bug. If not, ignore this post.

1) Thread Tools menu

2) "UNsubscribe"

I know that, I said it in the first post. What I'm saying is that it seems like you should be put a thread on ignore even if you are already subscribed without unsubscribing first. I was just notifying the admins that it doesn't work that way, in case they care.

Why would you want to subscribe to a thread you want to ignore?

Why would you want to subscribe to a thread you want to ignore?

Actually it's getting involved in a thread, which automatically subscribes you, then later getting totally fed up with it and deciding to not just unsubscribe to it but also to ignore it.

Like I said, I was looking for a one click option so rather than unsubscribe then ignore I just clicked ignore. When it didn't work I thought I'd mention it to the admins in case it was supposed to work with a single click. I don't care if it doesn't, just a minor "possible bug" report.

Actually it's getting involved in a thread, which automatically subscribes you, then later getting totally fed up with it and deciding to not just unsubscribe to it but also to ignore it.

Like I said, I was looking for a one click option so rather than unsubscribe then ignore I just clicked ignore. When it didn't work I thought I'd mention it to the admins in case it was supposed to work with a single click. I don't care if it doesn't, just a minor "possible bug" report.

I disabled automatic subscription to threads I participate in years ago. Here's how to do it.

Your Control Panel
Edit Options
Messaging & Notification
Default Thread Subscription Mode: Do not subscribe

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm not looking for help, although I appreciate the effort. I already know how to do all this stuff. Like I said, just a "possible bug" report to the admins. If they like things the way they are, no problem. I always liked feedback when I was a coder, so I thought I'd pass it on.

There's an Ignore Thread option under the Thread Tools. Pretty handy for those threads that piss you off but you can't keep from peeking at. Technology assisted will power.

I put a thread I was subscribed to on Ignore, but it's still showing up. I'm sure the solution is to unsubscribe, then ignore, but it seemed to me that it should have been a one click solution. If that's what you administrators think too, then this is a bug. If not, ignore this post.

I wouldn't call this a bug. It appears that the program is currently set to have "subscribe" override "ignore". You are requesting that "ignore" override "subscribe". It's not an unreasonable request. Perhaps the moderators can [-]help you[/-] consider it.

Very interesting.

I just tried subscribing to this thread, then ignoring it, and couldn't see it anymore in the forum or portal view. In fact to get back to the thread I had to go to the "List Subscribed Threads" to get back here.

I'm guessing that what you mean is that you are still getting emails, so you would have to either click the unsubscribe link in the email or click the link to the thread in the email and then select unsubscribe on the thread menu.

I also went to a site that uses the same software and looks and feels very much the same as this site, but that site doesn't have an ignore thread option at all.

Very interesting.

I just tried subscribing to this thread, then ignoring it, and couldn't see it anymore in the forum or portal view. In fact to get back to the thread I had to go to the "List Subscribed Threads" to get back here.

I'm guessing that what you mean is that you are still getting emails, so you would have to either click the unsubscribe link in the email or click the link to the thread in the email and then select unsubscribe on the thread menu.

I also went to a site that uses the same software and looks and feels very much the same as this site, but that site doesn't have an ignore thread option at all.

Aha, I think you're right. I always go into UserCP to read my subscribed threads first, where it was showing up, and never noticed that it wasn't showing up in the Portal view. So it's still subscribed, but ignored in the Portal and Forum (which I never look at) views. Interesting, and makes sense. I just assumed once it was Ignored it was gone. Well then, nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom