At what age did you feel "physically old" and cranky?

Mostly gradual, but...

My hands became sensitive to cold (as in under 55F) in my 40s. Solution was gloves, except for the office I had which was against a minimally insulated outside wall and you really can't use a keyboard in gloves. Solution was a small portable heater to heat just my working space. 30 years later, the arthritis has progressed slowly (only the joint at the base of the left thumb shows any deformity) but the pain is constant - really annoying when my hobby of writing has now progressed to book length stories, with two books published (Kindle) and four in the pipeline (close to a million words in seven years). NSAIDs (even ibuprofen) help but my ancient digestive system doesn't like them in quantity so I have the choice of where I want to hurt.

In the past eleven years, I've survived back surgery (L4-L5 fusion), shoulder surgery (torn rotator cuff and biceps tendon), cancer surgery and multiple eye surgeries (cataracts and partial cornea transplants in both - now at 20/20 and 20/25 but need a hard contact to correct astigmatism and readers because my arms are too short).

I don't go up more than ten feet or so on ladders, don't climb trees and don't get on the roof due to minor balance issues. I do cut the grass, do the edging and trimming, trim limbs I can reach with a pole saw and pressure wash the house and walkways. I upgraded the basement bath last year (flooring, toilet, vanity, etc), rebuilt the front end of the riding mower (it's only 16 years old), designed and built a solar-charged backup "generator" for our frequent (usually short) power outages, did the plumbing and installed gas logs in one daughter's wood-burning fireplace last week.

All the surgeries interfered with going to the gym but I get some level of upper body exercise every time I pick up my 35lb toolbox ;-)

Three of my grandparents lived into their 80's, so I probably have some years left. I'm still planning to do things in the future - remove wallpaper and paint the kitchen, the dining room and the upstairs bath are at the top of the "honey do" list.

Although I FEEL "old" some days, when I stop planning, I'll BE "old".

It's enough to make anyone cranky. 10 games out; they're killin' me.

They beat up on the Yankiees pretty good last night. Still a good shot at the Playoffs. The slow start really hurt them this year.

They beat up on the Yankiees pretty good last night. Still a good shot at the Playoffs. The slow start really hurt them this year.

I watched the game last night. I felt a little sorry for Tanaka the way he got roughed up and they left him in there to suffer. His ERA went to hell quickly.

65 and holding

I noticed it when I turned 60 more. At 65 I am still running and strength training, alternating every day and limiting the running to 4 miles for now. Been dealing with sciatica but by talking with a Chinese acupuncturist, and using the Bum Wrap (a belt with two hard round balls in it), I keep it at bay enough to continue running. No meds, I take vitamins and supplements like Glucosomine/Chondroitin, and hope to keep this pace as long as I can.

At 62 I am in good shape, work out, bike and walk a lot. But in February I got diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye and in May found out I had a rotator cuff tear. I’m now on the long recovery from that surgery. So yes I am currently feeling rather old all of a sudden! Hope I can regain shoulder strength, and the eye issue is sadly chronic.

We've lulled them (the Yanks) into a false sense of security.

Over the last 6 weeks or so it's been fun watching Yastrzemski debut for the Giants. He hit a walk off HR last week to end the 16 inning game.

Oh, I remember the Sox being 14 games up on the Yankees in July 1978 and still blowing it.

I found some changes around 68, but I think they're connected to what I do or don't want to do. I can still walk 15k steps a day through Florence and throw two 40-pound suitcases up the three steps to the train carriage. But I no longer want to stuff my head under a sink to fix a plumbing problem, or trim bushes in the back yard.

As others have reported, I've always been a bit of a grump. Now, sometimes, it's easier not to be. Having witnessed a few medical crises in friends, and recently in DW, it's easier not to sweat the small stuff.

Not cranky, but I had a very active life since I was young. Started working when I was 13, worked a farm, built cars, jumped anything we could with our bikes and dirtbikes, played baseball, basketball, football and golf, water and snow ski, wakeboards and snowboards. Spent 4 years in the military and continued doing nearly all these sports through my early 40s. I was running 3-5 miles 3-5x per week then my knees started hurting so I switched to a treadmill. Then my left knee started giving out on the treadmill so I switched to a row machine. I realize I can't play as hard as I could when I was younger. Weird aches and pains and longer recovery is what I noticed as I get older. I just pretend my body is playing whack-a-mole and I adjust my workouts and activities to heal whatever is hurting.

Around 55 I started being sick a lot, major asthmatic bronchitis. Then I got spinal stenosis in my early 60s... and in 2015, chronic fatigue syndrome. As a result I became very inactive and I’m horribly out of shape at 71. I’m going to start slowly exercising soon. But I never feel old. I just know there are things I can no longer do. And I live a very stress-free life - it helps. Friends noticed a big change around 60 for themselves.

It is more than "feeling old"

I was in my early 60's and had climbed to the top branches of the fir tree in my back yard to pull out the invasive wisteria. I was so full of myself thinking, I can still climb trees in my 60's like I used to when I was 10 years old. Then I got the dope slap if I had an accident and fell, I could be screwed for the rest of my life. I carefully climbed back down and chopped down the wisteria! I think it is safe to say my tree climbing days are over.
I find I'm content more and more to just sit and read on the front porch and enjoy the passing parade.
I still ride my bicycle, work out at the Y, and do heavy physical work around the house. But.... I don't have the stamina and endurance of the past. I used to mow my back yard using an old push reel mower in one shot. It takes at least one nap in the middle now! LOL!!
I can honestly say I've lived my life to the fullest and do not feel left out or I'm missing something by not being on the go every second. I do not feel guilty sitting back on the porch swing reading my book when I could be doing somethim "more useful."
Slowing down is to be expected and I will not worry about things I can't change.

Felt old when I was young. Now that I'm 55, I feel young. Suspect I've always been cranky, I just say it out loud now.

At 64 I started building my house. In the fall of the next year due to a lot of ladder work a tendon or something got out of place and I was in severe knee pain. It hurt to walk, but just flexing my knees wasn't so bad so I went skiing. Going down a steep slope, something in my knee popped so loud I could hear it. I thought it was going to be really bad, but instead, all the pain was gone. Now at 69, the ladder work still causes the same issue, but I have not tried the same remedy. I was up on the roof just today working on a flue pipe. I promised my self I would stay off the roof at 70. That is coming up quickly. The work on the house has slowed down since the first problems with the knees. I think the slowing down has as much to do with age as the knees.

But... slowing down is okay! Relax and enjoy life. Cranky is less okay. It’s too stressful to be cranky. :D

I was extremely active my whole life and was a marathon runner, triathlete, mountain bike racer, ski patroller, orienteering, hiking, etc. I had knee injuries at the age of 50 which killed my running which was a blow mostly mental. I did notice in my marathons my pace was getting slower and the courses harder gradually from the age of 47. I had knee surgery but was unable to start running and have sworn off a knee replacement until that time I can't do anything. I have had minor back trouble since a military parachuting accident (I landed back first on a boulder) when I was 25 which I, of course, never had treated being typically stupid at 25. But I also was also doing a lot of off-road dirt biking and ski racing so it is hard to say what caused the problem first. It is not a horrible thing just acts up periodically. I switched to triathlons after my marathon times got too slow to be competitive and was quite good for another 5 years or so. I love cycling and swimming and it cut the run distance to 10k so not terrible. I did that until again I started getting slower and it was taking a toll. I switched to mountain biking then and was a ski patroller for 20 years. I retired at 56 but keep mountain biking, open road cycling (mostly for commuting to my boat and for groceries), hiking in the hills and go snowboarding 3 or 4 times a year. I have a bungie cord setup with a waist belt, swim paddles on my hands and training fins along with a snorkel for swim training. I hate doing laps but this makes it so you swim in place and it works out well. I swim 30 minutes every day. The paddles and fins markedly increase the workout. I have a stationary bike I ride 30 minutes on every day and hike in the forests 3 times a week. I go mountain biking less frequently now and converted my hard tail bike to en e-bike with a 250 watt motor and 36V battery which gives an assist on hills. It is not enough to power the bike alone but gives me an additional oomph to get up hills and to cover the additional weight of the motor and battery.

But, I do notice now at the age of 66 I am getting older and things are harder than before. I now listen to my body and I curtail my workouts if something is hurting or I just don't feel like doing anything. I go for a walk when it gets that bad. I do have serious arthritis but I din't let it get me down. My wife has similar problems although she is not an exerciser as she believes work is enough especially in the garden.

At 30, realized that I should no longer ski like a maniac or run like a gazelle. Now at 58, I can have an intense weight workout like 30 - but no telling how long till that window starts to close.

Fear of falling keeps me off the roof (mostly) and a healthy respect for ladders.

BodyBuilder Frank Zane looked pretty awesome until 65 yrs old. There was a big difference between 64 and 65 yrs old. At 70s, he's lean but the muscle pumps are gone ..

Last edited:
After reading all the post, this just proves that the Mind and Heart can stay very young, but not so much the physical body. In my mind and heart, I'm 35 years old LOL. My physical appearance .. I look like I'm 38 with no white hair, but inside I do feel 50s when I feel the joint pains after some intense exercise. :)

Oh my Apple Watch is a great help and will remind you to do more to meet the fitness goals you set in a day.

Now 60 and is only the last 5 years I feel any physical limitations. Hoping more strength training will overcome some of that.

But cranky? Just the opposite. Am so much more relaxed, kind, understanding and patient since retirement that any “cranky old man” issues are not noticeable. People from my former work life don’t recognize me anymore.

What kind of work that takes so much of your time is considered retirement?
I am not sure exactly what retirement is :cool:
I own a shop that sit idle for over 20 years. I decided two years ago that it needed me back. :D so I started the process of getting it back in tip top shape.
Now that I have accomplished that goal here is what I do.

I buy older golf carts, rebuild anything that makes them look like new again including rebuilding the gas engines and then I sell them.

I had a skill that was not being used so here I am back at what I really enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom