Awake During Colonoscopy--Again?

If I remember correctly, I was given Versed for my cataract surgeries.

First surgery, I came out of it will very little / fuzzy memories of procedure.

Before the second surgery (couple weeks later), nurse said sometimes people are more aware than they were during the first. (She said it more delicately than that.)

While I was on some level sedated (enough that I didn't mind them lancing my eyeball), I heard and later remembered every bit of conversation the doc and nurses had.

"Hey!" I wanted to scream, "stop chit-chatting while you're gouging my eye out!"

PS Thanks for reminding me my colonoscopy is due this summer...

Since coming home, I've had two ocular migraines (in the midst of the second now). Could be coincidence--this is my third this month.

Was put out. Best 30 minute sleep.

Excellent thread. It confirms/supports my past decisions about colonoscopies.

Last edited:
A go for the lightest sedation I can. I hate narcotics. I had the fentanyl dose cut in half on my recent one.
After colon cancer surgery and chemo, I get to go in every 3 years for a colonoscopy.
Only 8 more to go by my reckoning.

I compare that to my first operation when I was five years old, a tonsillectomy. A pad soaked with ether was forcibly pushed over my nose and mouth, and it smelled so horrible that I screamed and fought as hard as I could until the ether eventually put me under.

Night and day.

Thanks for the reminder, had left and right lateral hernias at age 5. I am having a robotic laparoscopic hernia repair next month. I gag just thinking about ether to this day.

It may be less evasive but it's also less effective. When it comes to detecting something as serious cancer I'll opt for more effective.

There is something like 9% of all results are false-positives

I woke up once during a colonoscopy and once during surgery to remove a lipoma. Both times, they were using propofol. I was not distressed or in pain either time, but I knew something wasn't quite right, and I think I spoke both times, whereupon they apparently jacked up the dosage to put me back under.

The worst thing I ever had was a cystoscopy with no anesthesia at all. Holy crap, that hurt!

Last edited:
My spouse and I both had colonoscopies this week. Just part of doing all those tests that they recommend for us "older" folks. I told the staff before they took me in that the last one I had done years ago, it left me throwing up on the way home. They said they would fix that with a little something 'special' in the anesthesia. Yup, did the trick. One of us had it done on Monday, one today. We told the nurses that it was our Valentine presents to each other. The prep, although better than years ago, is still far from pleasant. But the procedure itself was quick, gave us a really sound nap, and each of us walked out of the hospital with no big side effect.....except for being a little hungry and thirsty.

Ten years ago, during my colonoscopy, I woke up several times. I remember someone telling me to "Breathe!"

I let the docs know this time, and they told me they'd give me a much stronger dose (Versed and Fentanyl). But it seemed to happen again.

Not too painful, but I remember hearing the people in the OR talking. I remember a specific conversation about whether someone should go to the recovery room or some other room.

It wasn't that painful, but I've had dentist visits that hurt less. Perhaps I was hallucinating. It only seemed to take about ten minutes. Maybe I'm someone who tends not to go under all the way?

Threw up on the way home. I never want to have another colonoscopy.

Would you happen to be a natural red head? People with red hair are known to be resistant to anesthesia for some reason.

Thanks for the reminder, had left and right lateral hernias at age 5. I am having a robotic laparoscopic hernia repair next month. I gag just thinking about ether to this day.

I just had the robotic laparoscopic hernia repair last month. There was decent amount of pain the first day, then some pain for a week.
I was cleared to play pickleball/sports after 2 weeks. Just no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks. After 4 weeks, just a touch of soreness and fine after playing sports.

3 colonoscopies with minimal sedation while watching the procedure on the screen. The 4th one last November was to remove a very large polyp that a few years ago required a colectomy. It was a lengthy colonoscopy that took over 3 hours with minimal sedation also. While it wasn't a painful procedure it was very discomforting especially in the last hour or so.

It was well worth at the end because it saved my colon. Now I have to go back again for another one in April.:mad:

There is something like 9% of all results are false-positives

What I've read is 13% false positives. But much more concerning to me is that Cologuard detects only 42% of precancerous polyps. That's when I want them out, not after they've progressed to a cancerous state. I've had cancer and don't care for any more of it.

From Trombone Al’s description, it sounds like they start the sedation, then his breathing obstructs and he stops breathing, then they stop the sedation and try to arouse him enough to relieve the obstruction and get him breathing. Then he starts breathing and moving around, they try to deepen the sedation so that he’ll stop moving around, he obstructs his breathing again, and the cycle continues. His recollection of someone calling to him to “breathe!” sounds like the scenario. Some people are like that, and it isn’t easy to do sedation on them. Many times, it’s undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea, but only a sleep study would clarify whether that is the case.

At my GI doctor’s facility, most colonoscopies are performed with sedation provided by a sedation nurse. An anesthesiologist is requested when there are sedation concerns like moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea, severe COPD, need for deep sedation due to excessive patient movement, etc. If there are airways issues during sedation of these at-risk individuals, an anesthesiologist is qualified to handle the airway issues.

Just had my second one in December at age 66 (12 years since first one). They gave me the Suprep for the preparation. It costs $100 and is truly awful (they said it was much better than prior preps). I was knocked out with versed and fentanyl and don't remember a thing. As with the last one they found no polyps and told me to come back in 10 years. I think I am done with these, the whole experience is truly awful to me. I asked about the Cologuard. They told me there is a high false positive rate but the test will probably be perfected in 10 years and could be more reliable. I'm hoping for that. I also worry about complications from the colonoscopy, ie, perforation and infections, especially since I will be 76 in 10 years. It really seems like it's a big money maker for the GI docs. The day I had it was like a production line, one stretcher goes in one door, one stretcher comes out the other door. The group I go to does them in the office but I insisted on having it done at the hospital.

They gave me the Suprep for the preparation. It costs $100 and is truly awful (they said it was much better than prior preps).
My doc uses a combination of OTC meds along with my choice of gatorade flavor (no red color) that I can get for a total of about $10 if I use generic not brand names. Prep still not fun but with a history of polyps, I'm not taking chances. He uses propofol too which works great for me.

Would you happen to be a natural red head? People with red hair are known to be resistant to anesthesia for some reason.

No, not natural nor dyed red. ;)

I think I am done with these, the whole experience is truly awful to me.

Glad you said that. I was starting to think I was just a sissy.

While I was drinking that stuff, I thought that it would be a worse punishment than the electric chair to give prisoners a colonoscopy once a week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom