Awake During Colonoscopy--Again?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ten years ago, during my colonoscopy, I woke up several times. I remember someone telling me to "Breathe!"

I let the docs know this time, and they told me they'd give me a much stronger dose (Versed and Fentanyl). But it seemed to happen again.

Not too painful, but I remember hearing the people in the OR talking. I remember a specific conversation about whether someone should go to the recovery room or some other room.

It wasn't that painful, but I've had dentist visits that hurt less. Perhaps I was hallucinating. It only seemed to take about ten minutes. Maybe I'm someone who tends not to go under all the way?

Threw up on the way home. I never want to have another colonoscopy.

I had light sedation for mine a few years ago. Friendly chat with the GI guy while he pointed things out on the screen. He said next time I should just go without sedation. I count myself fortunate.

Wow, sorry that happened. I have had two colonoscopies and two endoscopies. I remember feeling a bit of cramping once, but never any pain.
Otherwise, woke up feeling Ok.

I had a surgery where they had to use above normal amounts of anesthesia to pass their standard "he's out" tests. That's with a formal anesthetist. I don't know if they use a pedigreed gas passer for colonoscopies or if they just look up your weight on a chart and give you what ever it says. You might be one of us who are harder to go under than normal people.

I guess I'm lucky when it comes to anesthesia, I'm always out like the proverbial lightbulb. Don't remember a thing, I wake up ready to get dressed and leave, it doesn't make me sick, and can we stop and get a pizza on the way home?

I was totally awake during my first colonoscopy, watched the whole thing on the TV monitor. I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder as the doc was getting ready and it appeared that he was wrestling with a set of bagpipes.

It hurt a fair bit, the scope wasn’t long enough and I was shipped downstairs for a barium enema and scan to complete the exam. I threw up terribly outside the entrance while waiting for my wife to come pick me up. Some folks asked if I was okay, and I told them I was just fine before going in for my “routine checkup”.

I was totally awake during my first colonoscopy, watched the whole thing on the TV monitor. I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder as the doc was getting ready and it appeared that he was wrestling with a set of bagpipes.

It hurt a fair bit, the scope wasn’t long enough and I was shipped downstairs for a barium enema and scan to complete the exam. I threw up terribly outside the entrance while waiting for my wife to come pick me up. Some folks asked if I was okay, and I told them I was just fine before going in for my “routine checkup”.

Love the “routine checkup” comment.

I had one when I was in my 20's (note to self, when eating lots of red beets, the toilet is supposed to look red :facepalm: )

In my 20's it was done while I was awake, I remember the bagpipes image, it looked really long and big. :eek:
It was painful/extremely dis-comfortable, some nurse kept encouraging me to hold still.

Last one I had a while ago, I was knocked out, much easier :)

Ten years ago, during my colonoscopy, I woke up several times. I remember someone telling me to "Breathe!"

I let the docs know this time, and they told me they'd give me a much stronger dose (Versed and Fentanyl). But it seemed to happen again.

Not too painful, but I remember hearing the people in the OR talking. I remember a specific conversation about whether someone should go to the recovery room or some other room.

It wasn't that painful, but I've had dentist visits that hurt less. Perhaps I was hallucinating. It only seemed to take about ten minutes. Maybe I'm someone who tends not to go under all the way?

DW just had one, and she was awake with mild sedation. She enjoyed watching the screen and seeing the process as it happened. I tried to watch the whole time on my last one, but I usually take advantage of the nap time.

DW came awake in her first, I had a endoscopy wide awake because the same doctor used versed on both of us. Certain meds and versed don't work and you will be awake. Mikey's milk is a better choice. Although it is 2019, if you call for Propofol you won't get any.[emoji23]

I had light sedation for mine a few years ago. Friendly chat with the GI guy while he pointed things out on the screen. He said next time I should just go without sedation. I count myself fortunate.

Similar experience here although the sedation was not intentionally light. I remember having the hiccups and thinking that it was humorous to see my insides bouncing around each time. I talked a bit to the doctor or anesthesiologist until they apparently 'fed' me some more drugs to put me back to sleep. I recall no pain whatsoever. I'd rather be completely out but can't say that being in 'twilight' was a bad

I was totally knocked out during first one. Last year I had #2(no pun intended) and I was semi conscious the entire time. Even watched it on the monitor. I was so relaxed they could have ripped my entire colon out and I wouldn't have cared.

I had a colonoscopy and requested no sedative. 4 nurses tried to talk me out of it. I declined it anyways. Procedure was not a problem. Definitely will do the same next time.

Anesthesia (or anaesthesia for our non-USA members) has come so far that it fair boggles my mind.

During my cataract surgeries, I was fully awake and could watch the manipulations inside my eyeball. I listened to and appreciated the repartee between my surgeon and the OR nurses. I even responded to a question he asked me at one point. But I was so totally relaxed that I had absolutely no inclination to move a muscle.

I compare that to my first operation when I was five years old, a tonsillectomy. A pad soaked with ether was forcibly pushed over my nose and mouth, and it smelled so horrible that I screamed and fought as hard as I could until the ether eventually put me under.

Night and day.

I had a colonoscopy and requested no sedative. 4 nurses tried to talk me out of it. I declined it anyways. Procedure was not a problem. Definitely will do the same next time.

Me too.

And it's always the nurses that try to talk me out of it. For both my colonoscopy and my endoscopies the nurses seemed to think I was crazy while the docs indicated they though it was fine or even kinda of neat.

I enjoyed watching the monitor - the doc explained it as it progressed. And there was very little discomfort.

Never had a sedative. Even on the day the doctor found my colon cancer, we were looking at it together on the screen.
That said, later, about the operation... 7 hours and 230 stitches later ... It took that long to get thru the stomach muscles and stitch them back up... Couldn't stand up straight for three months.

Then... the good part. The scare made me retire @53. :dance:

I think there is enough here to write a book about ... :)

I have one scheduled for the end ... of the month. :(

Serious tip: Buy one of these (you'll thank me in the end):

BB-1000B_1024x1024.jpg

https://bluebidet.com/

Last edited:
I have enjoyed several colonoscopies with different doctors. They all knocked me out completely and said keeping patients awake was not safe because squirming around on the table can lead to the instruments damaging the colon. They would not do a procedure with the patient awake.

Back
Top Bottom