Bicycles

I passed a guy riding one of these contraptions on my Sunday ride.
I guess it would be a good solution for someone with back/seat problems and more scenic than the gym with that missing ingredient - momentum.

th

I see these all the time on Coronado. They sell them at one of the bike shops here. Too goofy for my taste.

Even goofier are the 3-wheelers that generate momentum by pumping side to side on the steering. To each his own.

I'm probably a little more "over the top" than most here as a competitive triathlete:

Cervelo P3C (carbon TT bike) w/ DuraAce drive train
Cannondale Super Six (carbon road bike) w/ DuraAce drive train... full carbon all the way down to the bottle holders.
Race wheels are Zipp 606; Road race wheels are Ksyrium ES Special Edition (with the super cool red hubs!)
I train with a PowerTap on my Mavic OpenPros.

Clipless pedals - Speedplay Zeros on both bikes. Set of Sidi T2 tri shoes and Shimano 330 road shoes. Two helmets (aero and regular).

Yeah, I'm over the top... but, this past weekend, I qualified for Team USA for the World Triathlon Championships in Chicago next September. Spend your money on experiences, right?

Considering working as a wrench at a local shop in retirement. I do love tinkering with bikes!

Huge congrats!!! I've done a number of tri's over past several years (inc an IM 3 yrs ago) but I swim like a rock. I've only had one AG podium finish- 3rd at a local sprint.
My tri bike is 'only' a Cdale Slice with old HED Jet 6 wheels. I'm sure investing in a P3 would get me back on the podium :D:nonono::D

Yeah, I'm over the top... but, this past weekend, I qualified for Team USA for the World Triathlon Championships in Chicago next September. Spend your money on experiences, right?....

Wow I didn't see this post earlier - Congrats!

I passed a guy riding one of these contraptions on my Sunday ride.
I guess it would be a good solution for someone with back/seat problems and more scenic than the gym with that missing ingredient - momentum.

th

I've seen someone using one of these around town. He was going at a pretty fast clip. I'd much rather have a bike that has a seat though.

During my morning bike ride on my small folding Dahon, an elderly woman almost took me out with her car by not stopping at a stop sign. Well, I wasn't in danger, she was probably about 15 ft away from me when I crossed the intersection but still a bit too close for comfort. She probably just wasn't paying attention and didn't see me. :facepalm:

I think the new "give bikers 3 ft." law takes effect next week in CA, for whatever that'll be worth. Anyway 3 ft is too dang close in my book.

I was in Breckenridge CO last week for a vacation and it sure is a great place for biking. Nice paved multiuse (no motor vehicles) paths that go on for miles. From downtown Breckenridge did a 35 mile bike ride to Copper Mtn. one day and a 32 mile ride around Dillon Reservoir another day and there was maybe just a one mile section of road that you had to ride on to complete the loop around the reservoir, everything else was on a paved multiuse path.

I think the new "give bikers 3 ft." law takes effect next week in CA, for whatever that'll be worth. Anyway 3 ft is too dang close in my book.
+1
Terrifying... Inexperienced driver, two lane road, rough shoulder, speed limit of 35 MPH = instant death for a bicyclist. :(

Apologies don't help.

About 20 years ago I was in Anchorage, Alaska and was amazed at the extensive city-wide bicycle/jogging path grid. They were wide enough to allow joggers and bicycles to easily pass each other. You could go just about anywhere in the city without crossing a street. The paths went under the roads through large culverts so you were never on the road with cars. There were even paved bike paths about 10 feet or more from the roads leading to nearby towns.

Cheers!

I sold all my bikes and now have a folding bike and a carrying soft case. It is great. I can fold it up and go anywhere with it. It has 20" wheels and 6 speeds so it is pretty functional. Their are several companies out their but you can buy them used for less. I purchased mine used from FBike in Waltham MA for $200 + free shipping. You get better components and that, in the long run, increases the enjoyment for me.

In New England their is a current expansion of bike ways and rail trails. They have become a real community. This is great because the roads are becoming pretty unsafe with all the distracted drivers.

I sold all my bikes and now have a folding bike and a carrying soft case. It is great. I can fold it up and go anywhere with it. It has 20" wheels and 6 speeds so it is pretty functional. Their are several companies out their but you can buy them used for less. I purchased mine used from FBike in Waltham MA for $200 + free shipping. You get better components and that, in the long run, increases the enjoyment for me.

In New England their is a current expansion of bike ways and rail trails. They have become a real community. This is great because the roads are becoming pretty unsafe with all the distracted drivers.

I recently got a flat on with my folding bike (Dahon, 16 inch wheels). It as nice to just fold the bike up and put in my car to take to the bike shop. Ended up getting a new inner tube and tire.

Just an FYI if you have AAA they fix flats as part of the road service. At least in the southern New England district.

Just an FYI if you have AAA they fix flats as part of the road service. At least in the southern New England district.

Must be by district like you said. I haven't read anywhere in my membership about AAA and fixing bicycle flats. Comes in handy I bet if you're gone farther than walking distance back home.

An extra tube, set of tire levers, and a pump saves the day.
Much of my ride is out of cell phone range and 15+ miles from home. I like walking, but prefer to choose the time and place. :)

Last edited:
An extra tube, set of tire levers, and a pump saves the day.

Every time I go on a bike ride I always have with me the above items along with a tube repair kit, a bike multi-tool, and a small cutup piece of an old tire. The cutup section of an old tire is needed if your tire gets a sizable cut or hole in it and the tube starts coming through. Need to place something inside the tire to cover the hole so the tube doesn't come through, it's just a temporary fix to get you home. I learned that one the hard way after having to walk home the last 4 miles of a bike ride. I was told a dollar bill would also work in an emergency.

Last edited:
Ditto. Living in goathead country means flat tires eventually. Haven't gone tubeless yet. I guess that and Stan's is another way to go. Lot's of folks do around here.

Attachments

• goat_head_thorns.jpg
    goat_head_thorns.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
The 3-ft rule is unenforceable, IMO. It'll be enforced when there's an accident involving a bike and someone's probably dead or seriously injured. They're not going to pull anyone over for it...

My adage: "Please let me know how much fun it is being self-righteous while laying in your hospital bed; the driver will be buffing the scratch off his bumper."

Ride like everyone on the road is out to kill you.

"I was told a dollar bill would also work in an emergency."
I can attest that this does work as I have used this trick a few times in my many years of cycling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

"I was told a dollar bill would also work in an emergency."
I can attest that this does work as I have used this trick a few times in my many years of cycling.
I had a nasty blowout in FL a few years back and a dollar bill got me to a bike shop where I bought a new tire. I have never had a repeat of that big a hole in a tire.

That's keeping inflation in check. Who says a dollar does'nt go as far as it used to. :)

Back
Top Bottom