CCRC in Broward County FL

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My DB lives in Fort Lauderdale. It's time for him to sell his condo and move into a CCRC. He has severe rheumatoid arthritis and daily chores are becoming a problem. It sounds like he wants the security of healthcare people near him but wants to live independently in an apartment without stairs. Appreciate any suggestions.

My advice to your brother would be to seek out the help of a "senior care consultant". This is someone who knows all about the world of CCRCs, assisted living, independent living, etc. in a particular area and can setup tours of various facilities around town. They are like real estate agents and work on referral bonuses, so there is no cost to the prospective resident. An experienced and knowledgeable senior care consultant will be able to recommend just the right kinds of communities for your DB, based on his medical issues, his personality, and his daily routines.

I don't know anything about Florida CCRCs but I advise your brother to look at Class A Lifecare CCRCs--that is the kind of CCRC I am in. In that type of CCRC, if you have to move from independent living to a higher level of care your monthly payments stay the same--no large increases. I would stay away from the fee for services type, especially since your brother already has a chronic condition.

Thank you! I'm sending him those responses. His situation came on suddenly as he fell and hit his head. We are concerned falling is a serious issue now.

My Mom is at The Preserve at Palm Aire. It ain't cheap, but comes with meals and a few odd doctor house calls. It's mainted pretty well. Seems to have an opportunity for some "community".

The Florida state gov’t has a database of all facilities which you can filter and search. Link here.

Five Star Senior Living has a number of facilities in South Florida that offer both independent living and assisted living. When we were looking for a place for my mum we visited around 15 facilities and it was the only one that passed the smell test.

Back
Top Bottom