Chobani yogurt recall

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Have any of you eaten this yogurt recently, and if so, did you become ill?

Chobani feeling the strain after bad yoghurt prompts safety recall | Business | theguardian.com

By coincidence, I bought a tub of it in Washington State a couple of weeks ago on my way home from a road trip. It tasted funny, but I assumed that was due to the fact that I was unfamiliar with the brand. A few days later, black mold developed all around the inside of the top of the tub. Of course I threw it out, but not before verifying that it had the same batch number as is now being recalled. The sell by date was September 20th. I did not become ill, but I now know that the funny taste was not my imagination.

Even the best quality control fails from time to time, but Chobani is being criticized for the slowness of its response and for failing to disclose which type of mold it is.

Yes. My 2 year old grandson, and he is ill. The county health dept. (Chicago suburbs) and his pediatrician have been informed. Chobani has been trying to handle this via social networking and case by case but its not going to work. Facebook is not yet the acceptable "primary preferred vehicle" for critical food safety issues.

I've got two small cups of the yoghurt sitting in my fridge (matches the dates/batch number). I guess I should throw it out...

I have a tub of Chobani in my fridge with a sell by date of Oct 1st. I just checked and, sure enough, black mold is growing all over the top part of the tub. I ate about half of it (before the mold developed of course) and did not get sick (neither did DW nor the 3 other people who ingested it).

Last edited:
BTW thanks for posting the warning. I probably would have never known about the recall.

Wow, that was fast! Yes, you should get rid of it. Might be worthwhile emailing the company and the store where you bought it, as I did. Unless you want to keep the evidence (the tub and a photo of the mold) for legal purposes. Just be thankful you are not ill, with the exception of MichaelB's grandson. I hope he will be better soon.

I happened to see the story on a local news website and Googled for more detail and a more credible source. Let this be a PSA to everyone to check your refrigerator!

Last edited:
Apparently, Chobani knew it had a problem for some time before issuing a recall. Reports are it had been urging retailers to pull product from their shelves for about a week but only issued the recall today. Why not alert the public at same time they were alerting sellers:confused:? Yes I would say that was a slow response, and I hope they get nailed for it.

Chobani Issues Moldy Recall; Yoplait Pours It On - Businessweek

Yes. My 2 year old grandson, and he is ill. The county health dept. (Chicago suburbs) and his pediatrician have been informed. Chobani has been trying to handle this via social networking and case by case but its not going to work. Facebook is not yet the acceptable "primary preferred vehicle" for critical food safety issues.

I had severe digestive pain with fever for a couple of days about ten days ago after eating this brand, but who keeps the labels to check the codes later (no one else was ill but no one else ate it, either). I bet this is what caused it. I can't even imagine how your little guy would have felt--I hope he is feeling better soon

It tasted funny, but I assumed that was due to the fact that I was unfamiliar with the brand. A few days later, black mold developed all around the inside of the top of the tub. Of course I threw it out, but not before verifying that it had the same batch number as is now being recalled. The sell by date was September 20th. I did not become ill, but I now know that the funny taste was not my imagination.
That is disgusting! :sick:

I normally buy another brand of yogurt, of the many available, and after reading this I will probably never buy Chobani. Just the mental image is enough to turn one's stomach.

MichaelB, I hope your grandson recovers quickly.

Last edited:

Chobani feeling the strain after bad yoghurt prompts safety recall | Business | theguardian.com

By coincidence, I bought a tub of it in Washington State a couple of weeks ago on my way home from a road trip. It tasted funny, but I assumed that was due to the fact that I was unfamiliar with the brand. A few days later, black mold developed all around the inside of the top of the tub. Of course I threw it out, but not before verifying that it had the same batch number as is now being recalled. The sell by date was September 20th. I did not become ill, but I now know that the funny taste was not my imagination.

Even the best quality control fails from time to time, but Chobani is being criticized for the slowness of its response and for failing to disclose which type of mold it is.

Thanks for posting this. I never eat yogurt - can't stand the taste - but many members of my extended family eat it daily. I sent the link to all of them in case this is their brand. I'm glad you did not become ill.

I bought my partner 3 of them the day before the recall. Fortunately she hadn't eaten any of it before we heard about it. I am going to take it back to the store tomorrow.

Michael, I hope your grandson is better soon. Please keep us posted.

I hope he's all better soon, poor little guy. I like Chobani but don't often buy it, since it costs three times as much as the supermarket brand yogurt we like.

Any manufacturer can have an accident, but the key to staying in business is to show you care more about your customers than anything else, and it sounds like Chobani didn't demonstrate that level of caring.:(

Amethyst

I've been a Fage guy for 3 years. Brand loyal, I guess.

Recently saw the CEO of Chobani on TV regarding soaring sales, partly due to new school lunch requirements. I didn't like his interview so felt no need to switch.

Yes, I had a cup of this yoghurt yesterday. And, I'm hoping that I don't fall ill. I threw out two cups several days ago as the tops of the containers seemed to be stretched up--as if there were gas being created in the yoghurt containers. I still have six in the refrigerator--which will be returned to the supermarket.

Too bad, because this was easily my favorite yoghurt.

Thanks for the warning.

Last edited:
I had purchase 8 small size and ate all but 2 and never got sick; DW took the uneaten ones back to the store and the empty containers and got money back on all of them even the eaten ones. Youngest at the customer service counter did not even know about he recall, but the manager did and gave DW a refund on all of them even the eaten ones (made points with DW and me)☺

I hope everyone that became ill recovers OK.

When I clicked on this thread, the advert at the top of the page was for Yoplait Greek Yogurt. Targeted marketing at work, I presume.

I like Chobani, but it hasn't made me sick. While I am sympathetic that manufacturing problems can occur, I am not at all sympathetic that they tried to handle this quietly for a week without letting consumers who had already bought bad batches eat it. They should be prepared to be sued out of existence.

braumeister;1355237Apparently you can't really trust your suppliers as far as you used to:... [URL="http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/feb/09/aldi-100-percent-horsemeat-beef-products" said:
Aldi confirms up to 100% horsemeat in beef products | Business | theguardian.com[/URL]

Isn't 100% horsemeat as good as it gets?

Just thought I'd update this thread. The little guy recovered nicely, although he did lose a bit of weight it's all back and his energy levels are just right for a 2 year old.

Chobani didn't respond to any of the contacts or reports they asked for on Facebook (DD sent in two, one for bad yogurt and the other for a sick child). The other day she received two envelopes in the mail, one with 6 coupons, the other with another 22. She plans to use them, all is well.

It's good to know your little GS is OK. Thanks for the update Michael.

I had an email from Chobani offering to send me coupons. I declined, as you can't buy their products in Canada. (They did sell it here a couple of years ago but withdrew from the market as they apparently could not find a reliable milk supply. Those feisty Canadian cows, don't you know!).

Thanks, Meadbh. I imagine there's no milk left for yogurt because so much goes to make poutine. :)

Back
Top Bottom