Do you believe in stopping life if

Status
Not open for further replies.

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you beleive in stopping life if health issues are not reversal? So I'm asking you what your opinion is about a shot a pill or not feeding a person if that person signs a waiver to do so if that person health gets to the point of getting no better. The dementia when it gets so bad there is no quality of life that a life can be taken if the person goes through the right procedure before hand.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are and have always been that it's the right thing for anyone else in that situation to do. Seriously, it always seems like the right thing to do but until you get there, how do you know. I saw my FIL live a few months longer than he probably wanted to but that got him to see one of his grandsons longer and gave the grandson some memory of grandpa.

The twist you throw in is dementia. Since one would lose the ability to decide for themselves at the time when it would make some sense to consider, they obviously cannot consent unless it is far in advance. Then, what if they are asked if they want to go through with it and they say no? Does their pre-dementia wishes take precedent over their immediate response? Such a difficult question. Generally, I think I'd like to be assisted to my end a little quicker if faced with dementia, but we'll see if I still feel that way later in life. Right now, if I was competent and had a painful terminal illness, I think I'd ask for help. Sitting here, I hope I never have to make that decision for me or a loved one.

Look forward to the conversation from the forum members.

I want the choice to be put down, like my dog if I get so sick I want to die.
Naturally I'd want laws around to protect me from being murdered by some greedy relative, or transplant hungry doctor.
So simply put, it would have to be my choice, including written instructions detailing the conditions where it should be done, example brain dead on life support.
I have that choice now, I could end it right now as I'm typing..... I simply lose that ability if I'm stuck in a hospital.

Had this been a poll I would've voted "Yes".

This thread reminds me of a CD in my collection by Jack Kevorkian and The Morpheus Quintet, in which he plays flute and organ. When I saw the CD title, I said to myself, "Really? That Jack Kevorkian?"

large.jpg

I want the choice to be put down, like my dog if I get so sick I want to die.
Naturally I'd want laws around to protect me from being murdered by some greedy relative, or transplant hungry doctor.
So simply put, it would have to be my choice, including written instructions detailing the conditions where it should be done, example brain dead on life support.
I have that choice now, I could end it right now as I'm typing..... I simply lose that ability if I'm stuck in a hospital.

I always found it odd that as a society we believe that in certain situations that putting animals down so they don't have to suffer is the right thing to do but we are aghast at applying the same concept to ourselves. Vermont and a couple other states have "death with dignity" laws that allow a pill to be prescribed in certain terminal illness situations... 38 Vermonters have used the law. With respect to the OP though, the law cannot be used for dementia as I understand it, only for terminal illnesses that will result in death within six months (including a second opinion).

To request a prescription for life-ending medication in Vermont, the patient must be:
  • at least 18 years old
  • a Vermont resident
  • mentally capable of making and communicating health care decisions, and
  • diagnosed with a terminal illness that will result in death within six months.
A patient who meets the requirements above will be prescribed aid-in-dying medication only if:
  • The patient makes two verbal requests to their doctor, at least 15 days apart.
  • The patient gives a written request to the doctor, signed in front of two qualified, adult witnesses. (You can find the required Request for Medication form on the website of the Vermont Department of Health.)
  • The prescribing doctor and one other doctor confirm the patient’s diagnosis and prognosis.
  • The prescribing doctor and one other doctor determine that the patient is capable of making medical decisions.
  • The patient has a psychological examination, if either doctor feels the patient’s judgment is impaired.
  • The prescribing doctor informs the patient of any feasible alternatives to the medication, including care to relieve pain and keep the patient comfortable.
  • The prescribing doctor asks the patient to notify their next of kin of the prescription request. (The doctor cannot require the patient to notify anyone, however.)
  • The prescribing doctor offers the patient an opportunity to withdraw the request for aid-in-dying medication before granting the prescription.
To use the medication, the patient must be able to take it on their own. A doctor or other person who administers lethal medication may face criminal charges.

Last edited:
I agree with it. It's already part of my thought process unfortunately. The idea of almost bankrupting myself to live in a nursing home for years with a quality of life that I don't want is horrendous.

I believe in a natural death, but won’t explain why so this thread isn’t shut down. However, my attorney has a document that DW or DS can obtain to withhold any heroic measures in prolonging my life. I will also be providing copies to my doctors and any hospitals I use.

Do you beleive in stopping life if health issues are not reversal? So I'm asking you what your opinion is about a shot a pill or not feeding a person if that person signs a waiver to do so if that person health gets to the point of getting no better. The dementia when it gets so bad there is no quality of life that a life can be taken if the person goes through the right procedure before hand.

What are your thoughts?

Yes absolutely and I wish this was legal so I can put that request in my will. I do not want to live if I develop dementia if I can no longer recognize anyone or care for myself or even appreciate that I am alive.

At some point, it may be the only 'treatment' that insurance will pay for. Incentives will be provided to do it.

I too would vote yes. What I really want is the out. If things get bad enough I would like to be able to choose to go out like my beloved dogs. In the event, I suspect I would probably be satisfied with the option and palliative care and would never get around to "pulling the trigger." The most difficult situation is dementia. I would prefer to be euthanized when I get to the point that I can no longer make the choice myself but I don't think that is a a fair burden to put on anyone else and does not belong with the state. So, the only option would be to do it yourself before you are ready or become a burden on your family. Bit of a Hobson's choice.

Logan's Run.

To me it's a quality of life issue and a personal choice. So +1

The way I feel today is I want that choice for myslef, which I have always had and will always have regardless of what the law says. However, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it when my time comes!

Last edited:
It is a very touchy subject so I hope I haven't crossed the line. My intention of this topic is just what some have already stated. It is like anything else in life some will want a law and some will not but that should be our choice to live or not to live.

I personally don't see the benefit just to lay in bed dying or have an illness that you know nothing and just exist. If I had the choice I would be first in line to go through the legal procedure to end my life if life turns into something non reversal.

I hope this can be a civil and respectable topic but it is a real question that could touch any of use.

I agree and believe in it. Freedom of choice, as in most things, should be up to the individual.

They passed an assisted suicide law here in Canada last year. It is still overly restrictive in my opinion but it is a step in the right direction. It does have good safeguards in place too..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_in_Canada

Yes- Good friend recently died after three years locked in a nursing ward for Alzheimer's. Stopped recognizing his wife and family well before admission.

I used to date a nurse who would bring me on her rounds to say hi and bring gifts to patients in retirement homes. Even the best ones didn't paint a positive picture about the quality of life there. Later, when an older friend and several older relatives wound up having to be cared for in ones across various states, not one had a positive experience. Several were criminal, and one led to a death.

In another state, visiting a relative who was a hospice worker, she'd relay stories of her work days traveling to people's homes on hospice care. And in yet another state, visiting a friend who was a hospice worker, I got to see her crying over reliving her more recent patient's quality of life issues.

I got to witness first hand the horrific destruction of the body from three friends due to ALS and leukemia. The quality of life for a long time before the end came was abysmal.

So even if I wasn't a strong believer in the philosophy of personal freedom within the bounds of not harming others, especially the tenet of my body my will, I would still support the legalization of the choice to end life.

Best gift one can give to family members is having those end of life papers (living will, advanced directives, medical power of attorney) ready. That way, they don't have to decide for you what to do if/when the time comes.

As for do I believe ... I'll punt :cool:.

I believe that very individual person has the right to decide for themselves what to do with their body/life. If someone else is involved then there needs to be a paper trail. I would choose to die painless at 75 rather than die at 85 after years of severe chronic pain or not knowing who I am or where I am.

If you can get yourself to the Netherlands, you have options.

Why do people expect this thread to get shut down? This is not politics nor religion.

If you can get yourself to the Netherlands, you have options.
Or Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg......it's getting on the plane that's the problem.

"And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
the heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
that Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream; aye, there's the rub,
for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
when we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
must give us pause."

Why do people expect this thread to get shut down? This is not politics nor religion.

It could become either/both in a heartbeat....or lack of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom