Exercise to lower blood pressure

A few weeks ago we watched a program called "The truth about fat" and one of the things they showed was that the best way to burn fat is to exercise hard and slow in a ratio of 2-1. Their volunteers wore a mask connected to equipment on their back and ran for 40 seconds, walked 20, and they could accurately measure how many calories were being burned. They did this for 20 minutes, and unlike running for 20 minutes the increased calorie burn rate continued for hours afterwards. Several times a week I exercise on an elliptical trainer and I tend to keep up a steady fast pace, get my heart rate up and sweat it out for 30 minutes.

So, I thought I'd try this new regime to see if I could lose some weight (I'm 6'1" and 178lbs).
Exercise helps with weight loss, but 80% of body composition is a result of what you eat. It will definitely help, but as the saying goes, "you can't out exercise bad nutrition". I dropped weight by eating right, dropped some more by exercising, but when I worked with a nutritionist and ate according to her guidelines and added in some extra interval cardio is when I got very slim (roughly 10% body fat now).

It's anecdotal, but I've been observing success stories and failures in the gym for several years now. The people who do nothing but cardio (usually the long slow kind) never lose weight. And the people who lift weight, do some cardio, and are strict about their nutrition are the ones who get slim. My bodybuilder friends follow the latter model and they get down into the single digits using that method. They can't maintain that low of a level for very long (usually a two week window around a competition), but they usually stay in the high single digits.

Interestingly, while exercise has helped me with my high blood pressure, I still take a pill every other day. I took a month off and it steadily climbed back up. I may try again and go low sodium, but I like salt in my food and am not ready to give it up yet.

Last edited:
when I worked with a nutritionist and ate according to her guidelines and added in some extra interval cardio is when I got very slim (roughly 10% body fat now).

Interestingly, while exercise has helped me with my high blood pressure, I still take a pill every other day. I took a month off and it steadily climbed back up. I may try again and go low sodium, but I like salt in my food and am not ready to give it up yet.

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious as to what kind of nutritional guidelines your nutritionist has provided for you. In my case, when I cut out most processed foods and starting eating mostly whole, real foods (lots of vegetables, grass-fed meat, fish, plenty of healthy fats (butter, olive oil, coconut oil), some fruit (especially berries), some nuts), my BP came right down to normal levels, and has stayed down for several years now. I have noticed that salt is not a factor at all.......I use salt (sea salt) on foods to taste, with no real limitations, and it has not raised my BP one iota. I understand that some people may be sensitive to sodium, but apparently quite a few people like me are not affected at all by it.

Ok. More clear now. I try to keep it between 80% and 90% but have nothing against going to 95% momentarily just as I reach the end of the interval. As long as I don't try to do that on a sustained basis. I do monitor my exertion output once I hit the 80%. During the later sets I do not push it to max out anything. I will modulate the exercise to keep from overspeeding if I have to.

Max heart rate has a formula I know. However last year I did a stress echocardiogram where I had to get my heart as fast as I could, and I got it into the 180s (I'm 58) so it sort of made a mockery of the formula. So what really is the max heart rate we talk about, the 180s that I "maxed" out at, or 162 (formula: 220 - age) ?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I also have an accelerated pulse in the doctor's office. I can't seem to help it.

I've got the same problem. They've started taking my BP when I come in, then taking it again just before I leave. The difference is usually 10-20/10 pts. I have no explanation, as I don't feel particularly nervous when I get there.

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious as to what kind of nutritional guidelines your nutritionist has provided for you. In my case, when I cut out most processed foods and starting eating mostly whole, real foods (lots of vegetables, grass-fed meat, fish, plenty of healthy fats (butter, olive oil, coconut oil), some fruit (especially berries), some nuts), my BP came right down to normal levels, and has stayed down for several years now. I have noticed that salt is not a factor at all.......I use salt (sea salt) on foods to taste, with no real limitations, and it has not raised my BP one iota. I understand that some people may be sensitive to sodium, but apparently quite a few people like me are not affected at all by it.
We eat the same way. I've been eating liking that for years, and was before I worked with the nutritionist.

What she did, as best as I can determine, was a metabolism reset diet. It included eating five times a day, no meal closer than one hour to the other, and no meals farther apart than four hours. Two meals could include a protein shake. No dairy, and the meats had to be lean. And of course no fast food, no junk food, etc., but I was already eating that way.

Other than that, the only other guidance she gave was to dictate the macro nutrients for the meals. I weighed in each week using a scale that also reads body fat, body water, etc. I started out with what I thought were a lot of carbs (I was eating oatmeal at breakfast and fruit, and rice with other meals), but was pretty balanced between carbs, fat and protein. I wasn't used to eating that many carbs, and actually had trouble staying on the diet because I was never hungry. It stayed that way for a month or more before she began to make changes. Over a period of several months she began to take the carbs away and started adding in interval cardio. Then there were days were there were no carbs, and then there were strings of day with no carbs (other than a lot of green veggies). Every now and then she would tell me to have a cheat meal, which consisted of eating whatever I wanted in a 45 minute window.

I almost never felt hungry, never had cravings (although I loved the cheat meals), and lost 20 pounds of fat while gaining a couple of pounds of muscle.

Max heart rate has a formula I know. However last year I did a stress echocardiogram where I had to get my heart as fast as I could, and I got it into the 180s (I'm 58) so it sort of made a mockery of the formula. So what really is the max heart rate we talk about, the 180s that I "maxed" out at, or 162 (formula: 220 - age) ?
I looked it up a few years ago and found some good arguments debunking the 220-age formula. I don't recall the specifics, but according to what I read that formula was based on some bad science and a flawed study.

I did a resting and exercising metabolism test a couple of years ago and was given my max heart rate. It was a good twenty bpm greater than the theoretical one. If that formula was any good my heart should have blown up a few years ago.

I wear a heart monitor to track calories, average bpm, and max bpm during a session. The only time I really watch my heart rate is when I'm recovering from something high intensity, and when I'm trying to do something low intensity. When I'm going all out I never worry about how high it gets - my body will tell me when I'm going too hard. Usually in the mid 170's I will get gassed and have to walk around for a minute to catch my breath, and that only happens when I'm doing something super high intensity. My trainer said you will pass out before you die so I don't worry about it - and so far he's been right.

That formula has messed up a lot of people. I know that the cardio I did years ago was mostly worthless compared to what I do now because I believed in that stupid sticker you see on every cardio machine in every gym.

Last edited:
That is pretty neat, we'll have to look into something like that when we get back.

I like having the big display on my iPad when I'm working out. But I'm half expecting the polar7 to fail before long. I don't think they have all the bugs worked out yet. Be sure to read the reviews.

Last edited:
I've got the same problem. They've started taking my BP when I come in, then taking it again just before I leave. The difference is usually 10-20/10 pts. I have no explanation, as I don't feel particularly nervous when I get there.

I do feel it. I think there is some feedback and I try to remain calm but I can feel a little anxiety building. It feeds on itself.

I hadn't thought about checking it again when I leave.

A large reason (not the only one) I do the routine blood pressure checking is to have a history to report to the doctors if concern is expressed.

That's how I knew it had crept up the last couple of years. And I had started to get a little concerned when readings in the 130s became common.

I also know that yoga will drop it - about 15 mins after even a brief yoga session it's usually down 10 points.

I lost 40lb back in 2002 when I changed my diet and started exercising, including weight training. I have no doubt in my own mind that weight loss is mostly to do with diet. I have maintained my new weight this last 13 years through diet and I've kept up a good exercise regime, although I haven't tried the HIIT before. Until a year ago I used to play singles tennis which is pretty close, I thought, to interval training, and I would wear my heart monitor to see how high my HR would get.

When I started this HIIT exercise a few weeks ago I really never expected such a positive effect on my BP since I was already exercising vigorously and regularly, and even in the years playing tennis twice a week I still had borderline high BP.

At any age you can push your actual heart rate beyond that 220 minus age thing. The 220 minus - Age is just sort of a convenient contrivance to frame safe exercise parameters for one's age.

I have a couple of polar devices. One is a chest strap and wristwatch that can be used to monitor heart rate while traveling anywhere.

I recently got a polar7 that will talk to my iPad via Bluetooth. I can then watch my heart rate and graph on the app while I'm doing an aerobics/weight routine at home. Once I'm done it summarizes time in each zone and sends the data up to the web where I can view the graph and details from the polar site as well as my history.

I lost the monitor to my Polar FT7 on Saturday. Today I bought a Polar H7. I was pleased to learn that the new H7 monitor is backward compatible with my Polar FT7 watch. I can use both the watch and my Galaxy phone to view my results.

It was interesting to see there was a difference in calories burned between the Galaxy phone app and my watch. My height, weight, age and gender were the same for both.

I had been keeping a food and fitness diary on paper for the last 3 or so months. Today I started logging everything on myfitnesspal.com I love that app! So far the database has everything I've eaten in the last two days included. I'll have to see if I can find an app to use with my Polar H7 and myfitnesspal.com

For me, I get far more benefit from doing wind sprints vs lengthy jogging. I suspect alternating days between wind sprints and a long slow walk the next will provide excellent health benefits. Wind sprints will build muscle vs long jogs doing the opposite. Agree with Leonidas, that what you eat will be the biggest determinant in what you look like physically (exercise will not give you a 6 pack).

What she did, as best as I can determine, was a metabolism reset diet. It included eating five times a day, no meal closer than one hour to the other, and no meals farther apart than four hours. Two meals could include a protein shake. No dairy, and the meats had to be lean. And of course no fast food, no junk food, etc., but I was already eating that way.

Interesting, thanks.

Sounds like the major difference between my diet and yours is (perhaps) the amount of healthy fats I consume. I consume a lot of healthy fats (olive oil, grass-fed butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, tallow, full-fat cheeses). I wouldn't say that the meat I consume is "lean" either, but it is almost all grass-fed meat. It seems counter-intuitive to a lot of people, but if anything, I'm convinced that consuming those things (in addition to giving up most processed foods) actually helped me lose some weight, and (in combination with some HIIT and a little bit of strength training) increase muscle mass and lower overall body fat. I'm pretty sure it was responsible for lowering my BP to normal levels also.

You've probably read a lot of stuff about diet and BP already, but here are a couple of short articles you may want to check out. The first is on ways to reduce BP through diet, and the second is on salt in the diet, and why reducing salt consumption may not be such a great idea for most people.

6 Ways To Lower Blood Pressure By Changing Your Diet

Is Salt Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Interesting, thanks.

Sounds like the major difference between my diet and yours is (perhaps) the amount of healthy fats I consume. I consume a lot of healthy fats (olive oil, grass-fed butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, tallow, full-fat cheeses). I wouldn't say that the meat I consume is "lean" either, but it is almost all grass-fed meat. It seems counter-intuitive to a lot of people, but if anything, I'm convinced that consuming those things (in addition to giving up most processed foods) actually helped me lose some weight, and (in combination with some HIIT and a little bit of strength training) increase muscle mass and lower overall body fat. I'm pretty sure it was responsible for lowering my BP to normal levels also.

You've probably read a lot of stuff about diet and BP already, but here are a couple of short articles you may want to check out. The first is on ways to reduce BP through diet, and the second is on salt in the diet, and why reducing salt consumption may not be such a great idea for most people.

6 Ways To Lower Blood Pressure By Changing Your Diet

Is Salt Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

More good links, thanks.

Make sure you are in your target HR zone.

The calculation is:
220 - your age X 75% for your High rate
220 - your age X 60% for your low rate.

Make you spend most your training time in this zone for maximum heart benefits and cardio training.

The calculation is:

Make you spend most your training time in this zone for maximum heart benefits and cardio training.

I don't get this at all. For my age, 58, that zone is between 98 and 120. That's a very light workout.

The calculation is:

That doesn't work for me. Before I walked over for my HIIT session this morning I put on my chest strap and wrist watch to measure my HR and it was 45 bpm. I like to get my HR up to 90% (144 for me) during the sprints, and that is a good 10 minutes into the exercise before I'm getting there.

I don't get this at all. For my age, 58, that zone is between 98 and 120. That's a very light workout.

This bit of business here is more for more classical aerobic style workouts.
We have discussed Dr Phil Maffatone here once or twice in the past. His method requires unusually low workout heart rates. I will admit to feeling better overall -during and after- say 30-45 mins on the stationary bike when staying between 60% and 65%
of my "max" of 163 bpm.

Interval style / high-intensity type workouts would necessitate that you push it towards the high end.

I'm usually working between 120 and 150. I have 171 set at my HRmax based on a few formulas I researched, and one that raised it a few points for being female. (55 years)

If I really want to work hard I try to get past 154. That would be my "max" Zone.

My resting HR is probably around 75 or maybe a wee bit lower.

Polar7 sets up target zones on a graph shown while you exercise. Zones 1 though 5. Zone 3 - 70 to 80% is moderate, Zone 4 - 80 to 90% is hard, and Zone 5 - 90% or higher is "max".

Last edited:
My resting heart rate is ~ 58, and I usually try to keep workouts between 120 and 160, and thats for a 65yo. My aerobic exercises consist of inclined treadmill at 10-20 degrees and sprinting.

I had been keeping a food and fitness diary on paper for the last 3 or so months. Today I started logging everything on myfitnesspal.com I love that app! So far the database has everything I've eaten in the last two days included. I'll have to see if I can find an app to use with my Polar H7 and myfitnesspal.com

I have a Fitbit and Digifit and a Polar H7 and use MyFitnessPal. It all works great together.

Currently I have a Fitbit Charge HR (before, I had a One). The Charge HR is wrist based and continuously measure my HR throughout the day and night. It is fine for treadmill walking (I can't run - knees), but doesn't do as well for HIIT or exertion where you don't move a lot (like weight lifting). So, when doing those kinds of activites, I also wear my Polar H7.

I use Digifit software on my phone to record the data from the Polar H7. Digifit talks to Fitbit and Fitbit uses the calorie burn from the Polar H7 (per Digifit) on activites where I use the H7.

Fitbit then talks to MFP and gives it all my calorie burn data for the day (both that from Charge HR and that from Digifit). MFP talks to Fitbit and tells Fitbit how many calories I ate. That way, I could see in Fitbit what my net calorie deficit was for the day.

My resting heart rate is ~ 58, and I usually try to keep workouts between 120 and 160, and thats for a 65yo. My aerobic exercises consist of inclined treadmill at 10-20 degrees and sprinting.

Wow, I'm envious. A resting heart rate of 58 at age 65 is very, very good. Mine (at age 60) is around 64, and I thought that was pretty good. Can you go into a little more detail on your workout routine? What types of things do you do, and how long does it take (daily or weekly)? Do you use a HIIT approach, or something different?

Exercise helps, but I had to go to a strict monitoring of my diet to get sodium intake below 1500 mg to get to a safe BP. (My high BP is definitely linked to sodium intake, and I have years of daily logs to back that up. The R squared coefficient of determination is about 0.85)

From last week's logs, the average BP and pulse:
weekly morning 102/70 49
weekly evening 103/69 52

I do 5 one hour sessions of cardio training a week. Age 61

Wow, I'm envious. A resting heart rate of 58 at age 65 is very, very good. Mine (at age 60) is around 64, and I thought that was pretty good. Can you go into a little more detail on your workout routine? What types of things do you do, and how long does it take (daily or weekly)? Do you use a HIIT approach, or something different?

Currently its softball season, so I have paired back my workouts, so aside from 2 days/week of softball, I workout 3x/week, no more than 1 hr per workout.

Always warm up with 5 minutes of inclined treadmill at 3.5 mph walk, 10-20 degree slope.

1 session of full body using free weights and machines, do 3 set circuit
1 session of shoulders/arms, 3 sets
1 session legs/sprints, 3 sets

Off season, I would also try to do 2 other sessions per week that included sprints, medicine ball slams, and hitting the heavy bag, 3 sets (I considered this to be my high intensity workout)

I find there is a cardio benefit to lifting weights, especially with minimal rest between sets. That said, I am by no means a long distance runner and rarely do any jogging, as my gas tank can run out pretty quickly being a diabetic.

Back
Top Bottom