Had to go to ER today allergic reaction to med

I didn't have any forms until I was already back in a room and treated. They came after the IV was done and closer to checkout.

And it is not funny but I nearly passed out today with the new medicine they gave me to make up for the one I am allergic to. . . Called and left vm for doc spent the rest of the day in the chair drinking water. . .

Medications are always a double edged sword!

The old adage is still true: Show me a drug without side effects and I'll show you a drug without therapeutic effect. Risk vs benefit is still the governing rule when it comes to medications. It's unfortunate that some people have life-threatening side effects but thank goodness we have medications to control most of our maladies these days. YMMV

YIKES!!!!
Sounds like what happened when I had 3 stings in 2 weeks - swollen lips and eyelids - off to the ER. Taken back before I could find my insurance ID. Now I have an Epipen. UGH

AND the Lisinopril stories too - ewww. I used to take that but caused a cough. Off that now.

Glad you're ok.

... ...The worst reaction for me was Augmentin. I vomited for 4 hours straight. Could not lay down or move, it just caused another run to the bathroom.

Augmentin is a combination drug of penicillin and something else added. I’m fine with penicillin, it’s the added thing that caused the reaction.

Clavulanic acid is the adder. I am also severely allergic to the combo of Amoxicillin and CA. Also Erythromycin. Unfortunately, both of these antibiotics are the antibiotics of choice in many cases.

The old adage is still true: Show me a drug without side effects and I'll show you a drug without therapeutic effect. Risk vs benefit is still the governing rule when it comes to medications. It's unfortunate that some people have life-threatening side effects but thank goodness we have medications to control most of our maladies these days. YMMV

That is so true.

Back
Top Bottom