Had to go to ER today allergic reaction to med

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just looking for mild sympathy. . . Tongue swelled up. . . got an iv to fix me up. But damn.

I'm sorry to hear about your allergic reaction - but glad you got treatment at the ER.

Just looking for mild sympathy. . . Tongue swelled up. . . got an iv to fix me up. But damn.

That happened to me once a week after my 39th birthday. Being young and recently retired I wasn't entirely convinced I was, like really going to be actually dead in 15 minutes. Not wanting to wake everybody at the apartment complex with an ambulance I decided to drive myself to the ER.

The first thing they made me do was fill out g/d forms. No "S"!

Let me guess. The drug contained sulfa in some form?

ACE inhibitor for blood pressure. But like damn none of these drugs even work and now they are trying to kill me too. . .

That happened to me once a week after my 39th birthday. Being young and recently retired I wasn't entirely convinced I was, like really going to be actually dead in 15 minutes. Not wanting to wake everybody at the apartment complex with an ambulance I decided to drive myself to the ER.

The first thing they made me do was fill out g/d forms. No "S"!

Let me guess. The drug contained sulfa in some form?
The same thing happened to me with Sulfa many years ago, very scary at the time and I don't ever want to go through that again.
Can't even remember what I was being treated for but I always note I'm allergic to sulfa on any medical/dental forms.

ACE inhibitor for blood pressure. But like damn none of these drugs even work and now they are trying to kill me too. . .

This is not good. I am on an ACE inhibitor too, ever since I had the pacemaker put in. Something else to lose sleep over I guess

Tongue swelled up.

Weird and scary. Glad I have no allergies. that I know of.
Glad it ended well.

This is not good. I am on an ACE inhibitor too, ever since I had the pacemaker put in. Something else to lose sleep over I guess

I will tell you it came on suddenly. I woke up around 4:30 perfectly fine and went back to sleep. At 7 I woke up dreaming I was choking. It does not hurt if that helps. Doc said it was not that unusual.

I will tell you it came on suddenly. I woke up around 4:30 perfectly fine and went back to sleep. At 7 I woke up dreaming I was choking.

When did you take your last dose? I always thought an allergic reaction comes on within minutes. Whammo! Then I learned that the first one can onset many hours after taking the medication. If you take it again, THEN it comes on fast.

I now take Losartan and Amlodipine for hypertension. No side effects.

ACE inhibitors made me cough uncontrollably within a couple of days of taking them. Glad to get off it.

I now take Losartan and Amlodipine for hypertension. No side effects.

ACE inhibitors made me cough uncontrollably within a couple of days of taking them. Glad to get off it.

'Nother anomaly. I take Lisinopril for some other thingy it does that helps people with heart failure. I do not have high blood pressure. Just the opposite. LOW BP. That's why they can't give me as much as they'd like to.

When did you take your last dose? I always thought an allergic reaction comes on within minutes. Whammo! Then I learned that the first one can onset many hours after taking the medication. If you take it again, THEN it comes on fast.

Last dose about 24 hours prior.

That’s really scary. Glad you are okay.

You probably should be carrying an epipen with you at all times--I do. I have several medicine and food allergies.

Waay back 30? years ago. after "new med" turned beet red, Naturally regular doc not available. I fired him. Quick trip to Doc in the box. She said Bextra is not your friend. 10 days Prednisone to fix it.

You probably should be carrying an epipen with you at all times--I do. I have several medicine and food allergies.

No, they didn't use one. I have no idea why but it didn't come into play.

Oh google says it would not help:

Angioedema due to ACE inhibitors (ACEI-AAG) may be life-threatening, and will probably become more common with expanding use of ACE inhibitors. ACEI-AAG is due to excessive bradykinin. This is not responsive to treatments for allergic angioedema (e.g., epinephrine, steroid, antihistamines).

They did give me steriods and antihistimines but also transemic acid(?)and pepcid or something like that. It was all IV.

Last edited:
I was in the ER earlier this year for a runaway BP. They told me horror stories about reactions to Lisinopril which I take, not sure that helped my situation any. Said they treat two Lisinopril allergic reactions per week. I am currently on my fifth day of an allergic reaction to an antibiotic containing Sulfa, the drug is called Bactrim I believe?? The allergic reaction is much worse than what the antibiotic is treating which is a bacterial toe infection and is proving much harder to treat the rash from the reaction in a very compromising location. With me the reaction to the Sulfa drug was immediate, I could feel the itching at the site of the reaction. Doctor did ask me if I was allergic to anything to which I replied no. You just never know when a reaction is going to occur and have to remain vigilant to any unusual development, DW was on an allergy medication which drastically lowered her Blood pressure, only knew that because we monitor our pressures routinely. Currently reading "Death BY Prescription" by Ray D. Strand, MD. It happens much more often than you think from common everyday medication. Medications are always a double edged sword! Glad you survived!

wow, so sorry this happened, how frightening for you!
I second the suggestion for an epi pen.

My reaction to a sulfa drug was achy joints and a rash. It was a long time ago. The worst reaction for me was Augmentin. I vomited for 4 hours straight. Could not lay down or move, it just caused another run to the bathroom.

Augmentin is a combination drug of penicillin and something else added. I’m fine with penicillin, it’s the added thing that caused the reaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom