how much milk do you drink and what type?

Where do they sell Fairlife "ultra-filter" milk as I do not see it in my supermarket travels?

Most supermarkets have it - Smiths, Albertsons, Publix, Safeway and Bristol Farms. You won't find them in Whole Foods, Sprouts or Trader Joes.

It is also lactose-free.

I didn't get into using milk or drinking milk until maybe the last 3 years. My Osteopenia has gotten much better. Now I have one number that is barely in the osteopenia range. I believe that the next time that I have a DEXA scan, my bone density numbers will be back to normal. I attribute that to milk consumption and Vitamin D+K2 supplements.

Last edited:
I've gone fromm 2% to almond milk. Not sure why. I just tried it once and like it better.

But I've never been one to drink a whole glass of milk. Maybe a cup at most on cereal, smoothies, erc.

What a weird thread.

I drink 2% milk. I put it on cereal in the mornings and I have about a 12 oz. glass with one other meal of the day. I guess I go through a gallon per week.

Most supermarkets have it - Smiths, Albertsons, Publix, Safeway and Bristol Farms. You won't find them in Whole Foods, Sprouts or Trader Joes.

It is also lactose-free.

I didn't get into using milk or drinking milk until maybe the last 3 years. My Osteopenia has gotten much better. Now I have one number that is barely in the osteopenia range. I believe that the next time that I have a DEXA scan, my bone density numbers will be back to normal. I attribute that to milk consumption and Vitamin D+K2 supplements.

That’s great. Did you take any medications as well?

DW and I drink quite a bit of milk - regular ol' 1%; 2% when it's out. We drink milk almost every supper and occasionally at breakfast, generally going through well over a gallon (1.5 gal?) per week.

When dear husband was alive we went through 5 gallons of 2% a week.

I switched to one percent and it takes me about 10 to 12 days to get through a gallon. I only use it in cooking certain things, and my very milky coffee. It’s usually about half coffee/half milk.

Dear friend got me this great contraption that lightly froths the milk and heats it. Totally eliminating a need for a microwave.

I’m diabetic and gave up cereal. I occasionally eat oatmeal and even then I don’t put a lot of milk in it

That’s great. Did you take any medications as well?

No I don't. My doctor tried to have me take Fosamax and I refused. I just drown my oatmeal in milk every morning, and take Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements.

I have my DEXA scan results from 2011, 2017 and 2023. There was slight improvement from 2011 to 2017 (don't know why) and then a huge improvement in 2023's scan. My doctor looked at 2023 results and said I am barely osteopenia in one of the numbers, and tremendously better than others in my age group.

Last edited:
I don't often drink milk, but I use whole milk (organic, grass-fed) to make yogurt, about a cup daily. I use half-and-half occasionally to make sour cream or cream cheese. And heavy cream in my tea.

I never touch the low-fat options. I've looked at the research, and I don't think it supports the idea that eating low fat is more healthy.

Unsweetened coconut milk in my cereal and a small glass of Kefir in the evening.

Several years ago I read that getting Calcium in food, especially dairy products, is the way to fight bone loss in aging, even for we men. (Yes, it happens to us also, just not as badly as women). The study I read thought it much better to get calcium via real food. Three reasons:

1. It’s less likely to cause things like kidney stones, etc.
2. The calcium often comes with the other nutrients we need for strong bones and muscle. Most nutrients need other nutrients to work their best, possibly including nutrients we dont know we need so they are no included in calcium pills.
3. Our bodies can only absorb so much of a nutrient at one time. If one takes all their calcium in the form of a pill at one time, a lot of it ends up going down the toilet. Best to spread it over the day. The same is true for protein.

Of course, this was just one study, and study results seem change over time as we learn more. For now the above reasons have me drinking more milk for both protein and calcium. Thankfully, my body handles milk and dairy very well.

Last edited:
No milk, but I eat about 10 1/2 oz of whole milk Greek yogurt a day - "real" yogurt, as opposed to the stuff that has sugar, flavoring, and coloring added.

Before my low-carb diet, I'd get through a gallon of 2% milk (primarily for cereal) before the gallon went bad.

I don't drink milk, but I make over a gallon a week of homemade yogurt from 2% milk. I let it ferment 24 hours verses the 8 hours typical for store bought products. The extra time converts virtually all of the lactose and it is very low/no carb/sugar. It's more tart than typical store bought and goes well with tart fruits smoothies (my primary use). It also has a lot higher probiotic effect both from extra fermentation and by being fresher. An acquired taste, but I like it much better than store bought for a fraction of the cost.

In the past I've also made homemade Kefir from milk. It's more trouble than it's worth for my experience, so I don't do it now. I'd consider it again if/when I quit travelling so often.

Last edited:
I drink one cup of soy milk each morning. It reduced my hot flashes by 95%. I don’t like the taste though so I add a spoonful of cocoa powder. That makes it palatable.

I used to drink 1-2 cups of nonfat milk a day. My favorite local brand, which could be hard to find, had nonfat milk that tasted like 1%. None of my friends or relatives drink milk on a regular basis. Now I have to watch my carbs so am eating more plain Greek yogurt and cottage cheese and reserving the milk for cereal. I also make New Mexican food that contains cheese but use mozzarella which has less saturated fat than other cheeses.

Thanks for the Fairlife suggestion. Per their website, it is only listed as available at Walmart or Target in my city, not my usual grocery stores. I'll have to look for it at the other stores or make a special trip to Walmart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom