What type of milk do you drink?

None. I haven’t bought milk in years. I do eat yogurt almost daily.

I don’t drink milk unless it’s hot chocolate. But when is use milk for anything it’s Lactaid 2%. I’m lactose and fructose intolerant, so I’m very careful what I eat or drink.

Have you tried fairlife brand milk? They remove a lot of the sugar and concentrate the protein and it's okay for lactose intolerant like me.

There are many health professionals who believe that there is absolutely NO CONNECTION between the cholesterol in our diet and that in our bloodstream. Our body manufactures cholesterol!

Regular milk is 4% fat so even "fat free" is not that big of a reduction. In addition, fat free/skim has more calories per ounce AND because if does not have even that little bit of fat, it means that the carbohydrates are absorbed quicker and may cause high blood sugar spikes. Fat of all types helps slow down the absorption of carbs and evens out blood sugar.

Consider an aggressive walking program for 2023. I don't mean 5-10,000 steps a day but aim for 15,000 and higher each day. In 2021, I entered a "Run the Year" challenge - as in 2021 miles walking (and I counted every step I took. And, yes, I completed that challenge on Christmas Eve. When I had my blood work now for my annual physical in November '21, my LDL had gone down 50 points. I now enter frequent sanctioned walks of up to 15 miles (yes, those really take a lot of the day) and am going to be doing some more in Texas in February and, if I do well there, planning to attend an event in The Netherlands in July. (This year only 1,800 miles but still not shabby).

Timely post, thank you. We just got word that my husband's cholesterol continues to test high, in spite of our plant heavy diet, and extremely active lifestyle. Active as in yesterday we hiked 10 miles that included 2000+ feet of elevation change. He weighs in the low range for his height, with a low body fat ratio, so clearly he's not the one putting the excessive cholesterol into his body.

Timely post, thank you. We just got word that my husband's cholesterol continues to test high, in spite of our plant heavy diet, and extremely active lifestyle. Active as in yesterday we hiked 10 miles that included 2000+ feet of elevation change. He weighs in the low range for his height, with a low body fat ratio, so clearly he's not the one putting the excessive cholesterol into his body.

DH's cholesterol also runs high but no other risk factors. Did a calcium score CT scan for $100 at a local hospital. At 72 y/o, his score was 3. His doc doesn't push the statins any more. Mine also runs a bit high with no other risk factors and I'm a pescatarian for the last 36 years. I did a scan this week and my score was -0-. He has 2% on his Cheerios and I have 2% Fairlife (lactose intolerant) on Catalina Crunch from Costco.

None. I haven’t bought milk in years. I do eat yogurt almost daily.

Same for me. Yogurt (low sugar type) and a banana typically each morning along with some eggs with cheese and some kind of meat. DW or myself don't drink milk, DW uses some for cooking and occasional cereal. I also like cheese and figure between the yogurt and the cheese I get enough milk alternative. I don't drink coffee so not mixing milk in that. DW drinks her coffee straight. A half gallon of milk usually lasts pretty long around our house.

There are many health professionals who believe that there is absolutely NO CONNECTION between the cholesterol in our diet and that in our bloodstream. Our body manufactures cholesterol!

Regular milk is 4% fat so even "fat free" is not that big of a reduction. In addition, fat free/skim has more calories per ounce AND because if does not have even that little bit of fat, it means that the carbohydrates are absorbed quicker and may cause high blood sugar spikes. Fat of all types helps slow down the absorption of carbs and evens out blood sugar.

Consider an aggressive walking program for 2023. I don't mean 5-10,000 steps a day but aim for 15,000 and higher each day. In 2021, I entered a "Run the Year" challenge - as in 2021 miles walking (and I counted every step I took. And, yes, I completed that challenge on Christmas Eve. When I had my blood work now for my annual physical in November '21, my LDL had gone down 50 points. I now enter frequent sanctioned walks of up to 15 miles (yes, those really take a lot of the day) and am going to be doing some more in Texas in February and, if I do well there, planning to attend an event in The Netherlands in July. (This year only 1,800 miles but still not shabby).

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-dietary-cholesterol-eggs-raise-blood-cholesterol/

This is eggs but the same would be true of any dietary cholesterol intake.

3% or less of the population is "immune" to the affects of dietary cholesterol.

What you eat immediately enters the blood stream. For better or worse.

I went to 2%. It is not bad. Fat free is like drinking water. Try that. Then after awhile go to fat free. Or take simvastin

We are also the only mammal that cooks other animals before we eat them.

We are also the only animals that raise others for consumption.

That is, until we meet a species higher on the food chain.

Last edited:
DH's cholesterol also runs high but no other risk factors. Did a calcium score CT scan for $100 at a local hospital. At 72 y/o, his score was 3. His doc doesn't push the statins any more. Mine also runs a bit high with no other risk factors and I'm a pescatarian for the last 36 years. I did a scan this week and my score was -0-. He has 2% on his Cheerios and I have 2% Fairlife (lactose intolerant) on Catalina Crunch from Costco.
I did the calcium last year after it was suggested to me because I was having palpitations on occasion . My total cholesterol has always been 150 or lower . I don't take statins and never have.
The calcium score came back high ( 282 ) the heart doctor said I had a good chance of having a heart attack within the next 3 to 5 years. I am 75. He said I also have Bradycardia but not bad enough to treat. He said I was good to go. Go where is what I was wondering when I left.:facepalm: I wish now I would have not had the heart scan.

I am not overweight. I walk two miles a day, don't smoke or drink so I guess I will keep doing what I am now. This was sort of a shock to me after finding out about this test result. Palpitations are not as bad now but I do still have them. Oh well.

You should get test run to try and find out why it is high. Maybe it is your parathyroid Or cancer or kidney problems. In other words you need a dr that will check into why it is high. If your dr will not get another dr. It may be easily treated. Don’t just say oh we’ll be demanding in trying to find out why

I grew up drinking a glass of milk with every meal. We had a milkman who came by in a truck twice a week and let himself into the house and put the milk in the refrigerator.

I still love the stuff, especially if it's in a cold glass. And nothing has ever been better than the super cold milk that came out of the stainless steel machine in my college dorm's cafeteria--the kind where you pull up on the ball thing and milk comes out of a nozzle, with just a little bit of foam on top.

I've been drinking 2% for a long time now. Whole milk tastes a little too thick for me, but I bet I could get used to it pretty quickly. But I'd rather consume the calories elsewhere.

I use powdered milk in my bread machine, and found out there's a full-fat version of powdered milk, as opposed to the nasty nonfat powdered milk Carnation makes. I made a glass of it and it's still powdered milk, but I could see actually drinking it if I were desperate enough.

https://www.nestle-family.com/en/products/nestle-nido-fortified-milk-powder-tin-1800-g

(I see it in grocery stores, but where in a grocery store can vary. I'm careful to get the Fortificado one and not the one with the baby on it.)

I don't drink coffee, so I don't know why people put milk in it, but it might be an acceptable alternative to keeping liquid milk around waiting to go sour.

The one thing I go to Dollar Tree for is their quarts of shelf-stable milk. They're nice to have on hand if I run out of regular milk. I'd never mistake it for real milk, but I can drink a glass of it no problem, and it's fine for cereal. And a lot cheaper than the 8-ounce Horizon organic ones at the grocery store or that come with a kid's meal at some places.

https://www.dollartree.com/gossner-foods-premium-2-milk-1-quart/16101/

And speaking of shelf-stable, I'll put in a plug for the Trader Joe's 8-ounce containers of shelf-stable whipping cream. It's not heavy whipping cream, but it whips up well enough for my purposes (for fruit salad, as an ingredient in a pie, or eating off a spoon). Unfortunately, they've been out of stock for several months and said they'd be getting it again in November, but I haven't checked since then.

Until they didn't have it at all, I thought the main problem with getting it was finding it in the damn store, because they move it around all the time. It got to where I'd just ask someone as I'm entering the store where it is. It's the only thing I buy there.

I keep it in the refrigerator so it's cold when I spontaneously want to whip it up, and I've used it MONTHS after the best-by date. When it's that old it comes out disconcertingly gloppy, but I just scrape it out of the container and it whips up and tastes fine. It might even whip up better when it's gloppy.

I had to buy refrigerated heavy whipping cream today, and it's 16 ounces. That's more than I need (which means I'll be eating half of it off a spoon, and that's no bueno) and it cost a hell of a lot more than the 8-ounce TJ's, which are surprisingly cheap--like $1.79 or something.

And while I'm going on and on about milk, I'll throw out an observation--I haven't been there for a couple of years, but a lot of "regular" milk in the Pacific Northwest is UHT, and has the associated long expiration date. I never did find out why they do that, but it was nice not having to pay more for organic in order to get a longer expiration date.

Half & half for coffee and making omelets

I go for heavy cream in my morning omelets. Plenty of butter too - I use a mix of butter and coconut oil. If I’m adding bacon pieces into the omelet, I use bacon grease. Nice and smokey and bacony!

I like heavy cream in my afternoon coffee too - turns off any afternoon hunger I might have if I drink coffee with cream around 3 PM. My morning coffee is black.

Whole milk... I will drink my coffee black before I put in any skim or 1%...

My favorite milk story...
As a kid I loved getting milk from my uncle Frank, fresh out the cow... Pale would set on the counter and after a while skim the fat off..... YUM....
Well I moved off, and one day I walked into a store... Family owned dairy chain, Fridge full of all different dairy stuff... and I spot a container labeled SKIM Milk.... Just the name took me back to my Uncles... bought a pint, stepped outside, opened and....
YUCK!!!! I spit that crap out... It was just white water...

Back
Top Bottom