Just found out I'm Type II

I don't know if this helps but my dad was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. He followed a low glycemic index diet regimen, gradually lost some weight eating better, and took glyburide for the rest of his life. He eventually only tested his blood sugar twice a week, and it was always around 100. His health was far more adversely affected by his smoking than the diabetes.

See, now if I was consistently testing around 100, I'd be trying to lose some more weight and cutting back on the Metformin to see if I still needed it. But my goal/dream is to get off the meds as completely as possible. Everybody is different.

You must not have been paying attention for the past 11 years. First, I personally am largely incapable of keeping my comments short, and I think that's a common failing. And as far as what works, there are no facts. I've been eating differently (low carb, high fat, medium protein) and have been losing some weight. But what's making my fasting blood glucose go down? Is it eating fewer carbs? More fat? Losing weight? Positive attitude? The fact that I gave up booze for Lent? Who knows? And what works for me may or may not work for others. Hell, it may not even continue to work for me, although I hope so. And I suspect 98% of what gets posted on ER.org is opinion, even when presented as fact.

In general, IMO weight loss and lower carbs are a good bet for helping FBG levels. But it's just a WAG. If there was a solid answer, we'd be all over it.

I think if all forums on the Internet only posting facts, we probably have less traffic. In fact, what's work for one is not necessary work for others. We are sharing information and I appreciate you are sharing it. Even though I'm not diabetic, not prediabetes, but when a huge population with diabetics problem, I think it's best to be aware of our diet. I have subscribed to pre-diabetics magazine for that reason. It's also free with my frequent mileages. I'm not paying anything.

See, now if I was consistently testing around 100, I'd be trying to lose some more weight and cutting back on the Metformin to see if I still needed it. But my goal/dream is to get off the meds as completely as possible. Everybody is different.

Don't lament, I read somewhere that metformin may also help ward off Alzheimers:D

8 weeks ago I had a (surprising to me) poor glucose fasting test result of 208 and an A1C of 8.7, all well into the diabetic range. Previous test about 4 years past was OK, but just barely. Doctor first wanted to see what I could do with lifestyle change, so got a diet plan from a registered diabetes dietitian and have been following that quite well, plus bumping up my aerobic exercise. Diet wasn't extreme low carb, allowed 60g at meals and 30g at 2 snacks, but I usually stay under those. Main thing has been cutting out "bad" carbs (bread/rice), plus the bad sweets like candy as opposed to fruit which I do but now in more moderation. Have gone from 202 to 188 pounds in 8 weeks but expect that progress may slow down a bit since the first 10-15 pounds are the easiest.

Had followup test last Friday, A1C dropped to 7.1 but I expect the next test in 3 months should be better as my glucose meter tests (just started last week) have been in the 85-115 range for fasting and almost never going above 140 two hours after meals. The A1C test is a decaying average over 3 months so would still show some of the bad numbers. For now no medication needed; waiting to see in 3 months.

Larry

My DH is really following a healthy diet and exercising alot (15k-20k/steps/day). He has lost 13 lbs in 2 weeks. He is hoping to reverse his and get off the meds. He has been on them 2 weeks.

8 weeks ago I had a (surprising to me) poor glucose fasting test result of 208 and an A1C of 8.7, all well into the diabetic range. Previous test about 4 years past was OK, but just barely. Doctor first wanted to see what I could do with lifestyle change, so got a diet plan from a registered diabetes dietitian and have been following that quite well, plus bumping up my aerobic exercise. Diet wasn't extreme low carb, allowed 60g at meals and 30g at 2 snacks, but I usually stay under those. Main thing has been cutting out "bad" carbs (bread/rice), plus the bad sweets like candy as opposed to fruit which I do but now in more moderation. Have gone from 202 to 188 pounds in 8 weeks but expect that progress may slow down a bit since the first 10-15 pounds are the easiest.

Had followup test last Friday, A1C dropped to 7.1 but I expect the next test in 3 months should be better as my glucose meter tests (just started last week) have been in the 85-115 range for fasting and almost never going above 140 two hours after meals. The A1C test is a decaying average over 3 months so would still show some of the bad numbers. For now no medication needed; waiting to see in 3 months.

Larry

Congrats on taking action and improving your health.

My DH is really following a healthy diet and exercising alot (15k-20k/steps/day). He has lost 13 lbs in 2 weeks. He is hoping to reverse his and get off the meds. He has been on them 2 weeks.
He will never reverse this disease but he can possible get off the meds and bring those numbers in the non diabetic range. Go back to the old lifestyle and it shows it head again.
Good luck and I wish him well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom