New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

My DW's practitioner says its in production but they do not expect it before late April/May 2018.

I check with CVS periodically. Not available yet but I plan to get it ASAP.

My local Costco pharmacy already has the new Shingrix vaccine. They said they had used up their stock of the old Zostavax vaccine, and were not ordering any more "because the new vaccine is better." Sadly, my insurance plan explicitly specifies that it covers only Zostavax, so I'll be paying the cash price for the Shingrix. Had my plan said it covered "the shingles vaccine" rather than the brand name Zostavax, Shingrix (and any other newly developed vaccine) would have been covered. Aargh!

My local Costco pharmacy already has the new Shingrix vaccine. They said they had used up their stock of the old Zostavax vaccine, and were not ordering any more "because the new vaccine is better." Sadly, my insurance plan explicitly specifies that it covers only Zostavax, so I'll be paying the cash price for the Shingrix. Had my plan said it covered "the shingles vaccine" rather than the brand name Zostavax, Shingrix (and any other newly developed vaccine) would have been covered. Aargh!
Thanks, I will check tomorrow to see if Costco locally has any. I would feel really stupid to be the FIRE Guy who was too tight to pay for an important vaccine against a painful and sometimes lingering problem.

Maybe I could even post about getting it in "Blow That Dough" section.

Ha

Last edited:
Maybe I could even post about getting it in "Blow That Dough" section.

I haven't heard the price, but I'm guessing it would be a prime candidate for that thread.

Anyone who does get the new shot(s), please let us know what it ends up costing for those whose insurance won't cover it.

Agree it'll probably be worth it no matter what.

I haven't heard the price, but I'm guessing it would be a prime candidate for that thread.

Anyone who does get the new shot(s), please let us know what it ends up costing for those whose insurance won't cover it.

Agree it'll probably be worth it no matter what.

The Costco pharmacy quoted me a cash price of $160 for the Shingrix vaccine. I'm puzzled by that, as quotes I got from three other pharmacies for the Zostavax shot averaged $250. I don't know why Shingrix would be cheaper, especially since it's new and the maker needs to recover its development and production costs. I'll post the actual cost when I get the shot, in about 2 weeks.

The Costco pharmacy quoted me a cash price of $160 for the Shingrix vaccine. I'm puzzled by that, as quotes I got from three other pharmacies for the Zostavax shot averaged $250. I don't know why Shingrix would be cheaper, especially since it's new and the maker needs to recover its development and production costs. I'll post the actual cost when I get the shot, in about 2 weeks.

Was that $160 per shot (so $320 for both required doses)? If so it's only a little more than the single-required Zostavax.

Sadly, my insurance plan explicitly specifies that it covers only Zostavax, so I'll be paying the cash price for the Shingrix. Had my plan said it covered "the shingles vaccine" rather than the brand name Zostavax, Shingrix (and any other newly developed vaccine) would have been covered. Aargh!
Don't feel too bad. My drug plan does say "the shingles vaccine" but currently says it won't cover Shingrix. Perhaps that will change later his year or next year...

But you'll need two shots of Shingrix (2-6 months apart), so 2 x $160. If not using insurance, you can save about $9 per shot using a coupon from https://www.goodrx.com/
That site has been helpful to me since I have a bronze plan and end up paying cash for prescriptions. If Shingrix makes it on to the insurance formulary, it should be free since it's a vaccine.

Last edited:
I suspect that insurance coverage for Shingrix will pickup once the CDC director officially accepts and promulgates the ACIP findings.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/index.html

On October 20, 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) licensed Shingrix® for adults aged 50 years and older to prevent shingles.

On October 25, 2017, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted that Shingrix® is:

• recommended for healthy adults aged 50 years and older to prevent shingles and related complications
  • recommended for adults who previously received the current shingles vaccine (Zostavax®) to prevent shingles and related complications
  • the preferred vaccine for preventing shingles and related complications

Once approved by the CDC director, these ACIP recommendations will be published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. At that time, the recommendations will become official policy.

Thanks to those who pointed out that Shingrix is a two-shot vaccine. I'm a bit miffed that the pharmacist I spoke to did not mention this. As other posters have said, I'm sure that each shot will require a separate charge.

If one has had the zostovax vaccine or already had shingles is there any danger to having the nex shingrix vaccine as well?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If one has had the zostovax vaccine or already had shingles is there any danger to having the nex shingrix vaccine as well?

A good question for a personal discussion between you and your doctor.

That being said, for those that like to do a bit of research/preparation in advance of such a discussion I offer the following:

The meeting of the ACIP where their recommendation was voted on was rather contentious and not unanimous.

You can watch the replay of the final discussion and vote of the Oct 2017 meeting here.

Additional info from the ACIP meetings (presentations, agendas, minutes etc are available here.

I believe that the ACIP recommendation was based on the "benefits outweighing the risks" and included a specific recommendation regarding prior recipients of the prior vaccine.

I believe, also, that there was specific cases where the new vaccine would not be recommended .

-gauss
(not a healthcare professional of any sort)

That publication has got to make for some sparkling party conversation. :) My subscription just expired.

Expired? Maybe they know something you don't know?

...you can save about $9 per shot using a coupon from https://www.goodrx.com/

Thanks, I'd never heard of them. I like being able to do a little comparison shopping, something that's hard to do with Rx. They don't seem very good at pinpointing which supermarkets and big-box stores in my area have pharmacies (not all do), and I doubt they'll show which have Shingrix in stock, but it's a starting point.

Last edited:
Expired? Maybe they know something you don't know?

Thanks, I'd never heard of them. I like being able to do a little comparison shopping, something that's hard to do with Rx. They don't seem very good at pinpointing which supermarkets and big-box stores in my area have pharmacies (not all do), and I doubt they'll show which have Shingrix in stock, but it's a starting point.
Goodrx.com has agreements with many local and chain pharmacies to share their pricing on drugs. I find them very easy to use for comparison shopping. Shingrix is so new, that it probably isn't in their database yet.

- Rita

Even at $320 vs $250 the effectiveness of Shingrix makes it a no-brainer.

My DW had shingles and I would have paid $320 out of pocket in a minute for her not to have gone through that. And, she did not have a bad case at all. Once we figured out what it was, she got on anti-viral meds and major supplement (vitamins) support and nipped it in the bud. Never had a blister but the rash itched badly and it was painful.

Personally, DW and I are not inclined to get vaccinated, but if I was, the cost versus the impact would make it an easy decision. Without getting vaccinated, the main thing to look out for is the muscle pain. DW thought she pulled a muscle. She had been gardening but the pain was out of proportion to the work. It wasn't until we saw the classic rash that we figured out what was going on. I think if we'd have started the anti-viral meds sooner, she may not have even had much of a rash.

Just did a quick check at Goodrx.com and their databases do carry pricing for Shingrix. Here's their statement about the drug, citing Seattle area pricing

Shingrix is only available as a brand name drug. The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of Shingrix is around $150.84, 18% off the average retail price of $185.88.

Costco is one of the pharmacies providing this vaccination, must use a coupon from Goodrx.com to get this price.

Just did a quick check at Goodrx.com and their databases do carry pricing for Shingrix. Here's their statement about the drug, citing Seattle area pricing

Shingrix is only available as a brand name drug. The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of Shingrix is around $150.84, 18% off the average retail price of $185.88.

Costco is one of the pharmacies providing this vaccination, must use a coupon from Goodrx.com to get this price.

Is that the price per shot? (2 required)

Thanks, I will check tomorrow to see if Costco locally has any. I would feel really stupid to be the FIRE Guy who was too tight to pay for an important vaccine against a painful and sometimes lingering problem.

I feel you are speaking directly to me.... :eek: ;)

I look at it as a risk vs reward/cost issue, to wait one more year like I did last year and each year before that vs get it now for $250 -> $330.

It is similar to back in the 60's lots of folks built nuclear bomb shelters, because if you get hit with a bomb it hurts a lot, so spend a few $10K bills to avoid it.

There are so many things that have a risk, but I chose to do them as otherwise I'd sit in my room with the curtains drawn (sunlight causes skin cancer). Cruise ships sink. Crowds pass disease and infections around...

Let us all know the total price for the 2 shots as maybe it will change my risk/reward ratio :greetings10:

I feel you are speaking directly to me.... :eek: ;)
Not talking to you, or anyone else. I have no clue what you posted, since it is very unlikely that it would make any difference to my plans. Like I said, I would feel stupid if I were too tight to pay for a vaccine that might spare me real pain and perhaps help avoid meaningful disability for most of my remaining life.

This expense is not going to affect my life, but the shots might. I choose to spend on a reasonably effective vaccine against this risk. Shingles is not a rare disease in aging people. I don't care if 6 months later Medicare covers the shot, just not the sort of thing that bothers me.

I don't expect that my preference should be the same as others, so proceed as I would, and do whatever you want to.

Ha

Last edited:
recommended for healthy adults aged 50 years and older to prevent shingles and related complications

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/index.html

Note from that same page:

Zostavax is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for people aged 50 years and older. However, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of Zostavax in people 50 through 59 years old. Protection from this shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest. Adults 50 through 59 years who have questions about shingles vaccine should discuss the risks and benefits with a healthcare provider.

I'm a little confused though...does a person only get 5 years protection in their lifetime or can you get another shot for more years? If you can get another shot, I don't see why a 50 year old may want to wait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom