Join Early Retirement Today

New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine
Old 12-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
gone traveling

I don't see another thread on this new shingles vaccine approved in October. Anyone gotten a shot - two actually as I understand? Supposed to be way more effective the previous one & adds protection over previous. Thanks.

More Effective Shingles Vaccine Could Be Coming Soon
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
My doc, says my HMO may approve it in a year, so wait a year.....
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DW's practitioner says its in production but they do not expect it before late April/May 2018.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I check with CVS periodically. Not available yet but I plan to get it ASAP.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My local Costco pharmacy already has the new Shingrix vaccine. They said they had used up their stock of the old Zostavax vaccine, and were not ordering any more "because the new vaccine is better." Sadly, my insurance plan explicitly specifies that it covers only Zostavax, so I'll be paying the cash price for the Shingrix. Had my plan said it covered "the shingles vaccine" rather than the brand name Zostavax, Shingrix (and any other newly developed vaccine) would have been covered. Aargh!
ocdokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdokie View Post
My local Costco pharmacy already has the new Shingrix vaccine. They said they had used up their stock of the old Zostavax vaccine, and were not ordering any more "because the new vaccine is better." Sadly, my insurance plan explicitly specifies that it covers only Zostavax, so I'll be paying the cash price for the Shingrix. Had my plan said it covered "the shingles vaccine" rather than the brand name Zostavax, Shingrix (and any other newly developed vaccine) would have been covered. Aargh!
Thanks, I will check tomorrow to see if Costco locally has any. I would feel really stupid to be the FIRE Guy who was too tight to pay for an important vaccine against a painful and sometimes lingering problem.

Maybe I could even post about getting it in "Blow That Dough" section.

Ha
Old 12-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe I could even post about getting it in "Blow That Dough" section.
I haven't heard the price, but I'm guessing it would be a prime candidate for that thread.

Anyone who does get the new shot(s), please let us know what it ends up costing for those whose insurance won't cover it.

Agree it'll probably be worth it no matter what.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I haven't heard the price, but I'm guessing it would be a prime candidate for that thread.

Anyone who does get the new shot(s), please let us know what it ends up costing for those whose insurance won't cover it.

Agree it'll probably be worth it no matter what.
The Costco pharmacy quoted me a cash price of $160 for the Shingrix vaccine. I'm puzzled by that, as quotes I got from three other pharmacies for the Zostavax shot averaged $250. I don't know why Shingrix would be cheaper, especially since it's new and the maker needs to recover its development and production costs. I'll post the actual cost when I get the shot, in about 2 weeks.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The Costco pharmacy quoted me a cash price of $160 for the Shingrix vaccine. I'm puzzled by that, as quotes I got from three other pharmacies for the Zostavax shot averaged $250. I don't know why Shingrix would be cheaper, especially since it's new and the maker needs to recover its development and production costs. I'll post the actual cost when I get the shot, in about 2 weeks.
Was that $160 per shot (so $320 for both required doses)? If so it's only a little more than the single-required Zostavax.

Quote:
Sadly, my insurance plan explicitly specifies that it covers only Zostavax, so I'll be paying the cash price for the Shingrix. Had my plan said it covered "the shingles vaccine" rather than the brand name Zostavax, Shingrix (and any other newly developed vaccine) would have been covered. Aargh!
Don't feel too bad. My drug plan does say "the shingles vaccine" but currently says it won't cover Shingrix. Perhaps that will change later his year or next year...
fosterscik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But you'll need two shots of Shingrix (2-6 months apart), so 2 x $160. If not using insurance, you can save about $9 per shot using a coupon from https://www.goodrx.com/
That site has been helpful to me since I have a bronze plan and end up paying cash for prescriptions. If Shingrix makes it on to the insurance formulary, it should be free since it's a vaccine.
Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

I suspect that insurance coverage for Shingrix will pickup once the CDC director officially accepts and promulgates the ACIP findings.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...lic/index.html

Quote:
On October 20, 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) licensed Shingrix® for adults aged 50 years and older to prevent shingles.

On October 25, 2017, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted that Shingrix® is:
  • recommended for healthy adults aged 50 years and older to prevent shingles and related complications
  • recommended for adults who previously received the current shingles vaccine (Zostavax®) to prevent shingles and related complications
  • the preferred vaccine for preventing shingles and related complications

Once approved by the CDC director, these ACIP recommendations will be published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. At that time, the recommendations will become official policy.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even at $320 vs $250 the effectiveness of Shingrix makes it a no-brainer.
wmc1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to those who pointed out that Shingrix is a two-shot vaccine. I'm a bit miffed that the pharmacist I spoke to did not mention this. As other posters have said, I'm sure that each shot will require a separate charge.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly
That publication has got to make for some sparkling party conversation. My subscription just expired.
Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:08 AM   #15

If one has had the zostovax vaccine or already had shingles is there any danger to having the nex shingrix vaccine as well?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
If one has had the zostovax vaccine or already had shingles is there any danger to having the nex shingrix vaccine as well?
A good question for a personal discussion between you and your doctor.

That being said, for those that like to do a bit of research/preparation in advance of such a discussion I offer the following:

The meeting of the ACIP where their recommendation was voted on was rather contentious and not unanimous.

You can watch the replay of the final discussion and vote of the Oct 2017 meeting here.

Additional info from the ACIP meetings (presentations, agendas, minutes etc are available here.

I believe that the ACIP recommendation was based on the "benefits outweighing the risks" and included a specific recommendation regarding prior recipients of the prior vaccine.

I believe, also, that there was specific cases where the new vaccine would not be recommended .

-gauss
(not a healthcare professional of any sort)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
That publication has got to make for some sparkling party conversation. My subscription just expired.
LOL
Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Expired? Maybe they know something you don't know?

Quote:
...you can save about $9 per shot using a coupon from https://www.goodrx.com/
Thanks, I'd never heard of them. I like being able to do a little comparison shopping, something that's hard to do with Rx. They don't seem very good at pinpointing which supermarkets and big-box stores in my area have pharmacies (not all do), and I doubt they'll show which have Shingrix in stock, but it's a starting point.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Expired? Maybe they know something you don't know?

Thanks, I'd never heard of them. I like being able to do a little comparison shopping, something that's hard to do with Rx. They don't seem very good at pinpointing which supermarkets and big-box stores in my area have pharmacies (not all do), and I doubt they'll show which have Shingrix in stock, but it's a starting point.
Goodrx.com has agreements with many local and chain pharmacies to share their pricing on drugs. I find them very easy to use for comparison shopping. Shingrix is so new, that it probably isn't in their database yet.

- Rita
Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Even at $320 vs $250 the effectiveness of Shingrix makes it a no-brainer.
My DW had shingles and I would have paid $320 out of pocket in a minute for her not to have gone through that. And, she did not have a bad case at all. Once we figured out what it was, she got on anti-viral meds and major supplement (vitamins) support and nipped it in the bud. Never had a blister but the rash itched badly and it was painful.

Personally, DW and I are not inclined to get vaccinated, but if I was, the cost versus the impact would make it an easy decision. Without getting vaccinated, the main thing to look out for is the muscle pain. DW thought she pulled a muscle. She had been gardening but the pain was out of proportion to the work. It wasn't until we saw the classic rash that we figured out what was going on. I think if we'd have started the anti-viral meds sooner, she may not have even had much of a rash.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote