Osteoporosis- results with treatment?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Recently diagnosed with osteoporosis lower back and hip. Doc wants to talk about treatments. I am aware that everyone is different, and there are potential side effects.

I wonder, for those that chose treatment, did you see improvements, and if so, over what period? Any side effects worth it?

Recently diagnosed, I am on weekly dose of Fosamax for 5 years. Will have a repeat dexa/bone scan then to see how things are going. Not too surprising for me, as I am allergic to milk and have never eaten as much cheese/yogurt, etc as I need. I also make sure to get recommended calcium.
No problems so far, I take it with a large glass of water on an empty stomach, don't eat for 30 minutes.

My sister was diagnosed and chose not to take the RX but did take large doses of over the counter calcium for a year and then was back in the normal range. She was in her mid 60’s at the time.

DM took Prolia for several years, and it does show a difference - improvement in bone density - in her scans. Don't rely on your PCP for this though, find a rheumatologist you like.

She's 76 now, no fractures, so there's that!

Recently diagnosed, I am on weekly dose of Fosamax for 5 years. Will have a repeat dexa/bone scan then to see how things are going. Not too surprising for me, as I am allergic to milk and have never eaten as much cheese/yogurt, etc as I need. I also make sure to get recommended calcium.
No problems so far, I take it with a large glass of water on an empty stomach, don't eat for 30 minutes.

DW had a bad reaction (primarily nausea) from Fosamax. Doc has decided to just watch her scans and see if the bone loss accelerates before going to an injectable. DW now takes CA and vitamin D only.

I started Fosamax (generic) a few years ago. I had a narrowing in my throat and was having food get stuck occasionally. I had an endoscopy and the doctor stretched out the stenosis and recommended that I take a different class of osteoporosis drugs. I switched to Prolia and have had no problems with it. I have not had a new DEXA scan to see how I am doing. Actually plan to ask about doing it this year since I've been on Prolia a couple of years now.

DM took Prolia for several years, and it does show a difference - improvement in bone density - in her scans. Don't rely on your PCP for this though, find a rheumatologist you like.

She's 76 now, no fractures, so there's that!

My 83 yo DM has had excellent results with Prolia for several years.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/yoga-another-way-to-prevent-osteoporosis

I am trying yoga and increased calcium/vitamin D to see if I can improve my bone density.

There are a lot of confounders in this study. I wonder about things like self selection, no control group, and the dropout rate skewing the results. Out of those participants whose log showed they did the Yoga poses at least every other day, only about 20% submitted both DEXA scans.

Note: I don’t question the value of Yoga. My exercise routine has several yoga style components. Keeping and increasing strength and balance as we age is critical.

I remember reading that prunes, five to ten a day, helped rebuild bone in those who suffered bone loss. However, I only found one study that made this claim and it is old. Does anybody know of a more recent and/or better study?

Last edited:
I tried eating 5-6 prunes a day for several weeks and it did not agree with my system. Instead of giving me the runs, it stopped me up like a cork and I had no appetite at all. I tried reducing to 2 a day and that still gave me problems.

However, someone else might not have any problems with the prunes at all, and if they can tolerate it, it's better than nothing.

Wife has been on Prolia for 4+ years, no issues. Annual bone scans show a reversal of bone/density loss. I believe that the patent for Prolia expires in 2025.....hopefully no more $3k a year going forward.

Back
Top Bottom