Please Help Me Decide -- Heart Scans

My regular doctor (and many other area physicians) got an EKG machine and a treadmill. On routine physicals, patients also went on the treadmill and the EKG was recorded. Every week, many area doctors would meet with an area cardiologist to read the EKG's as they at that time didn't have the experience to analyze them.

I was okay on Speed #1 and Speed #2. When the treadmill kicked into high gear, my pulse just wouldn't go any faster and the signals indicated a problem.

I was referred to the cardiologist who did a heart scan before putting me on a treadmill.
Then doing another heart scan. The test indicated I might have a blockage.

Then they did an arteriorgram--going in at my wrist instead of the groin. The test indicated a narrowing in an artery behind my heart but not enough to do anything about. That was 20 years ago.

15 years ago, they wanted to do another heart scan but I couldn't walk the treadmill after breaking both legs in an accident. They then gave me the nuclear test--about a $5,000 shot to dilate my heart. The scan was consistent with the previous heart scan--and no worse.

I remain under the watch of a cardiologist yearly, however only an EKG is periodically being done. My heart appears fine, but now I'm battling having too many red blood cells by giving a pint of blood every few weeks. No meds are required, but I am at a risk to throw a clot to the heart, brain or lungs--like someone on dialysis could have. And I'm on my CPAP religiously to keep the oxygen level in my heart as high as possible.

Good luck to you. There's no substitution for quality healthcare--and extraordinarily good physicians.

Back
Top Bottom