Possible carpal tunnel?

madsquopper

Recycles dryer sheets
About a week and a half ago I discovered that the area on my right index finger (plus the in-between webbing) was pretty numb. Also found that rubbing across the back of that hand set off some tingling in the associated nerve. No weakness or tingling all the time, so for now symptoms are minor. Not taking any meds, no injuries, and looking online seems carpal is a likely suspect.

Wondering if this may be the cause - ever since covid I've been doing a lot more reading/web surfing late at night with a tablet. I lie on my stomach and prop the tablet against the headboard. Two nights ago I realized that when I use the touch screen my right hand is in the awkward position of being bent rather far back, which I believe is the bad typing position. So for now I'm going to quit reading like that and also do some of the wrist exercises.

I do play golf, but not excessively, and don't notice anything. Have been playing now for over a year and only just noticed the hand problem, so probably not golf causing it.

Opinions?

Before having carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist/hand I'd experience, (mainly at night), pretty much excruciating pain that extended/shot up to my armpit. No problems with the hand itself though.

Had the surgery about two years ago, no repeats since.

I've had quite a bit of experience with this sort of thing, unfortunately.
My advice is to find a good hand surgeon and get an evaluation. Normally, they will only recommend surgery as a last resort, but they are the best ones to evaluate this sort of nerve damage. If it's something that can be fixed without cutting, they will refer you to the best place.

I think in most cases, the best cure is simply a lot of rest (by which I mean a LOT of rest, far longer than you would expect). Annoying to avoid doing what you're use to doing, but that generally provides a complete fix for the problem.

It doesn't sound like carpal, but not everyone's symptoms are identical. Could simply be stress of repetitive use in a manner that's not optimal, which would be quickly reversed by not-doing-that-thing. Ergonomics stuff.

Your position for reading sounds awkward though, like you might end up with neck and shoulder issues even if the hand thing is fixed.

I've had quite a bit of experience with this sort of thing, unfortunately.
My advice is to find a good hand surgeon and get an evaluation. Normally, they will only recommend surgery as a last resort, but they are the best ones to evaluate this sort of nerve damage. If it's something that can be fixed without cutting, they will refer you to the best place.

I think in most cases, the best cure is simply a lot of rest (by which I mean a LOT of rest, far longer than you would expect). Annoying to avoid doing what you're use to doing, but that generally provides a complete fix for the problem.

Very true in my case. I have abused and have worked very hard in my life time. I still enjoy working hard but my carpal tunnel tells me not too. The more I refrain from hard labor with my hands, it goes away with resting them. At night and waking hours is when mine bothers me the most. During the day and while working I don't even know I have it. REST is key!

I'm a 69 year old male in reasonably good condition and both of my hands started to intermittently go numb on and off about a year ago, at first just a minor irritation and then it got progressively worse and actually painful at times. After numerous blood tests and a nerve conduction test I was found to have a mild case of carpal tunnel. It was suggested that I take a B complex vitamin, wear wrist braces at night and cut down on my piano playing from an hour daily to a half hour. I have done all three things for the past four months or so and although I still suffer some numbness at times it is no where near as bad as it was. Good luck, surgery should always be a last resort in my way of thinking.

As frayne said, wrist braces at night are a good idea. That keep me away from carpel tunnel surgery for a few years until it progressed to the point where I had unbearable pain at night through my elbow.
Try the braces for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't resolve then get a consult with a hand surgeon.
I've had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands. It's a relatively simple procedure but it's still a surgery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom