Prevention is prevention - not screening

dlhanson

Recycles dryer sheets
While we discuss the merits and risks of screening, we should not forget that screening is not prevention of disease - prevention is really prevention.

Two of my favorite websites that are really about prevention are:

fitnessrocks.org -- Dr. Monte Ladner, MD, presents free podcasts (he has done about 145 of them) where he either explains research results or interviews a researcher which tell the listeners how to prevent disease. His primary emphasis is on 4 things -- 1. No smoking 2. Lots of fruits and vegetables (avoiding processed "food") 3. Weight so BMI is 25 or less and 4. 30 minutes of strenous exercise a day. If you want an education on disease prevention with research to back it up, there is a wealth of information in his podcasts. Dr. Monte is not a vegetarian by the way. Dr. Monte no longer practices medicine and I think that his wife (a cardiologist) provides the family income.

drmcdougal.com -- Dr. John McDougall, MD, has written books and a monthly newsletter that explain that a low fat vegetarian diet is the key to disease prevention. He empasizes whole intact food (whole wheat, brown rice, etc) and staying away from processed food. Dr. McDougall makes his living by giving seminars that help people make the radical (for most people) change to a whole food low fat low sugar vegetarian diet).

Here is what Dr. Monte wrote on his website for notes on his latest podcast:

"In the August 10, 2009 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine there was yet another medical study verifying that living a healthy lifestyle is good for our health. A healthy lifestyle was defined in the paper by the four habits of not smoking, eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables, exercising every day, and maintaining a healthy body weight – what I have called “The Magic Formula.” People in the study who adhered to all four habits had an 80% overall reduction in the risk of developing a major chronic disease during 8 years of follow-up."

This is truly prevention!!

Wow! Who'd a thunk it. How much does it cost for that wisdom again? I missed it.

97% of Americans also missed it.

Healthy Lifestyle Characteristics Among Adults in the United States, 2000
Archives of Internal Medicine

The overall prevalence of the healthy lifestyle indicator (ie, having all 4 HLCs) was only 3.0%.....
Arch Intern Med -- Abstract: Healthy Lifestyle Characteristics Among Adults in the United States, 2000, April 25, 2005, Reeves and Rafferty 165 (8): 854

Back
Top Bottom